Mistakes/Goofs

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Mistakes/Goofs

Post by Jonah »

Here's a few mistakes (goofs) I've noticed while watching Season 2 on brand-new DVDs. We're probably just noticing these things now as the images are so much clearer!

Spotting goofs doesn't distract from my love of TP. But it is fun

Episode 8 (Episode 1 of Season 2): You can see a boom mike in the shot above Norma as she leaves Shelly's room about halfway through the episode. It seems that Peggy Lipton (Norma) even looks up at it!

Episode 15 (Episode 8 of Season 2): When Leland's driving the car recklessly and singing "Surrey With A Fringe On Top", in the shots showing him through the windshield, his mouth is clearly not moving to the words in any way, just making "O"/whistling shapes.

In the next episode (16/Episode 9 of Season 2) when Leland is thrown into the jail cell and he slams himself against the wall on both sides, the lefthand side wall is clearly a set flat ' it shakes!
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Good ones.

Here's one. Just before Harold Smith is about to rake his face, he moves the rake up to his face. As he does it, he touches his face with the rake and you can see a drop of the blood that is already on the rake gets on his cheek before he begins the face rake. I never noticed this initial "scratch" but thanks to the DVD set, I'm able to see this.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

can we count the entire evelyn story arc as a mistake? it is so painful to watch and so mindblowing to think they gave it so much screentime between eps. 17 and 22
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I agree. I had forgotten how awful ti was until I re-watched them this weekend.

I could definitely do without that story arc.

-B
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

episode 19, dougie's dead body seems to blink a bit, but this of course is hard to avoid.
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

dugpa wrote:I agree. I had forgotten how awful ti was until I re-watched them this weekend.

I could definitely do without that story arc.
In my dream Season 3, a possessed Cooper butchers Evelyn, James and everyone involved in that story arc. James is singing 'Just You... And I' while he's being beaten to death with the skull of Little Nicky.

A fella can dream, can't he?
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

The thing that has me really perplexed is when Albert tells them the time of night Maddy was murdered was between 10 and Midnight and then Harry says, still suspecting Ben to be the killer, that it fits because they arrested Ben after Midnight.

There are a few problems with Harry saying they arrested Ben after Midnight. I believe we see Leland killing Maddy while Cooper sees the Giant at the Roadhose at about 10:30 pm and they have already arrested Ben. I went back and watched that episode for clues.

As the scene begins where Ben is taken into custody, a shot is shown of the exterior of the Great Northern, it's dusk and the sun has recently set, there still being some light left in the western sky, and Venus is shining brightly. On March 9th the sun sets just after 6 pm at the latitude of Twin Peaks, which would make that shot seem that it's well before 7 pm.

Also, Mr. Tojamura has just arrived to talk business, something that would seem very odd after Midnight.

When they arrive at the police station with Ben, the Log Lady is there waiting for them to tell them there are owls in the Roadhouse. (estimated time; 8pm)

Then we see Pete in his robe in the kitchen with toast and milk, and Mr Tojamura enters with a surprise. (est; 9pm)

Sarah Palmer passes out, Leland adjusts his tie. Cooper, Harry and the Log Lady enjoy a concert at the Roadhouse. The Giant appears to Cooper and Donna cries. (est; 10:30pm)

So when Harry says that line about taking Ben in after Midnight it has to be a writer's mistake. I remember this confusing us (the group I originally watched the series with) at the time.

Of course, there's another possibilty: an intentional "mistake" by the writers to make us talk about it.

What's really odd is that I went to Twin Peaks Online to check their timeline, and there they list the sequence of events in THE WRONG ORDER, to make this inconsistency go away. It says there that the scene arresting Ben happens after the Roadhouse scene with the Giant. Cheats!

http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/references/timeline

The other thing the writers got wrong is that conjuctions of Jupiter and Saturn occur almost exactly every 20 years. In 1989 they were almost in opposition. There were conjunctions in 1980 and 2000.
Last edited by wallydanger on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
The Other Bob

Post by The Other Bob »

A little off topic, but a Pilot Episode goof that has always caught my eye is the change in the tide between Pete discovering Laura, wrapped in plastic by the "lake", and when Harry, Doc, and Andy show up a little later. Since it's supposed to be the Inland northwest (instead of Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound, where it was filmed I think), there shouldn't be a tide change... Sorry if there's another posted topic for the other season/pilot!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

one thing that bothers me is that in ep. 16, why isnt leland/bob giving off the scorched oil smell when donna is in the living room? i imagine she would have smelled it and freaked.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Another boom in the shot! In Episode 20 (Episode 13 of Season 2), when Audrey is crouching down with Ben on the floor in his office, you can see a big blue microphone briefly above their heads.

added by dugpa:
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

A writer's goof, rather than a production one...

At the end of episode 17 with Cooper and Major Briggs in the woods, Cooper says (of BOB), "I try to imagine him out there incarnate, looking for another victim to inhabit". Here Cooper appears to mean not "incarnate" but the exact opposite, whatever that is.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Shelley tells Bobby she "had to quit her job for this," yet it the scene where she quits doesn't happen until the following episode.
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Season 2 - Mistakes (goofs)

Post by dugpa »

Jonah wrote:Here's a few mistakes (goofs) I've noticed while watching Season 2 on brand-new DVDs. We're probably just noticing these things now as the images are so much clearer!

Spotting goofs doesn't distract from my love of TP. But it is fun

Episode 8 (Episode 1 of Season 2): You can see a boom mike in the shot above Norma as she leaves Shelly's room about halfway through the episode. It seems that Peggy Lipton (Norma) even looks up at it!
I checked this one out again today.

Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Cool. Thanks a million for adding the pictures Dugpa. How do I do it? If it's from my computer or USB key (not on a site).

And great site! LOVE IT!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Audrey Horne wrote:Shelley tells Bobby she "had to quit her job for this," yet it the scene where she quits doesn't happen until the following episode.
Hi I thought this was a goof too (and she doesn't quit till next episode). But if you listen closely and put on subtitles she actually says I HAVE to quite my job for this (as in she's going to ...) so it's not a goof.

The fact that she follows through with quitting even after finding out about money would not be a mistake either, as by then Leo was home and it was too late.

:D