Mistakes/Goofs

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Season 2 - Mistakes (goofs)

Post by Ross »

Gordon wrote:Kevin Young... Isn't there a dedication to him in one of the eps. (episode 8?) because of his death? "Dedicated to the memory of...".
It was for "Kevin Young Jr.", Kevin's (Toad's) infant son, who had died from injuries sustained while in child care. The woman who was watching his son was actually tried for murder, but was found not guilty.

Here's an article about it:
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-11/ ... evin-young

It also mentions that Kevin was indeed a "production assistant" on Twin Peaks.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Ross, I didn't know all that... Tragic... :?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

oh man, i'd KILL to find the one eyed jack's humpback lady. totally a character out of alice in wonderland or something.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Jonah wrote:Here's a few mistakes (goofs) I've noticed while watching Season 2 on brand-new DVDs. We're probably just noticing these things now as the images are so much clearer!

Spotting goofs doesn't distract from my love of TP. But it is fun

Episode 8 (Episode 1 of Season 2): You can see a boom mike in the shot above Norma as she leaves Shelly's room about halfway through the episode. It seems that Peggy Lipton (Norma) even looks up at it!
I spotted the above goof in the hospital scenes in Episode 8 with Norma 7-8 years ago (wow, time flies!!!!!) when the Gold Box came out. Recently got the Blu-Ray and started watching the show again - but now it seems they fixed this goof? While Norma still is clearly looking up at the boom mike, I can't for the life of me see the boom mike itself! Anyone else notice this? Did they really edit it out digitally for the Blu-Ray or am I going insane? And if they fixed this goof, I wonder if they fixed anymore...
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote:
Jonah wrote:Here's a few mistakes (goofs) I've noticed while watching Season 2 on brand-new DVDs. We're probably just noticing these things now as the images are so much clearer!

Spotting goofs doesn't distract from my love of TP. But it is fun

Episode 8 (Episode 1 of Season 2): You can see a boom mike in the shot above Norma as she leaves Shelly's room about halfway through the episode. It seems that Peggy Lipton (Norma) even looks up at it!
I spotted the above goof in the hospital scenes in Episode 8 with Norma 7-8 years ago (wow, time flies!!!!!) when the Gold Box came out. Recently got the Blu-Ray and started watching the show again - but now it seems they fixed this goof? While Norma still is clearly looking up at the boom mike, I can't for the life of me see the boom mike itself! Anyone else notice this? Did they really edit it out digitally for the Blu-Ray or am I going insane? And if they fixed this goof, I wonder if they fixed anymore...
Your eyes do not deceive you. Boom mics were digitally removed from several shots, though I seem to recall someone mentioning that they'd missed one.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Brad D wrote:oh man, i'd KILL to find the one eyed jack's humpback lady. totally a character out of alice in wonderland or something.
Didn't I read in your book that it was Lesli Linka Glatter herself? :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

BOB1 wrote:
Brad D wrote:oh man, i'd KILL to find the one eyed jack's humpback lady. totally a character out of alice in wonderland or something.
Didn't I read in your book that it was Lesli Linka Glatter herself? :)
haha, funny thread bump. I guess I had yet to interview Lesli when I made that post. You just never know!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It seems the Great Northern did some major room renumbering somewhere in the three weeks between late Season 1 and late Season 2.

In Season 1, Episodes 5 and 6, Cooper is clearly in Room 315 and across the hall is Room 314 as you might expect.

However, by the time Episode 28 rolls around, while Coop is still in Room 315, the one across the hall has suddenly become 323!

p.s. Not sure when exactly this appeared, whether it was in this episode or earlier in the season. Maybe the change even occurred as early as Episode 8 of Season 2; I'll have to go back and check.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Coffeecup12

Re: Mistakes/Goofs

Post by Coffeecup12 »

What is the weird looking doll/statue in the Double R Diner that sits in the greenery along side of the booths? It is clearly in the scene where Cooper is first told about the book house boys by Harry, Hawk, and Ed. Other times it's in different places in the greenery. When Major Briggs asked Bobby to join him and tells him of his vision, the statue can be seen in the far corner in the wide shots. The close up shots of Bobby should show it behind him but it's not there. In some other scene I saw it in a different spot. I'm not far into season 2 and it's been years since I last watched the series. There may be more shots of it that I haven't mentioned.

It may be a prop goof that it's never put back in the right place, but it's so ugly I just wonder what it is.

Mary

(Found it! It's a duck cookie jar! It is ugly.) http://twinpeaksprops.blogspot.com/2012 ... e-jar.html
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

S1E06:
Doc Hayward:
"Jacques Renaults blood is AB-."

S2E01:
Albert Rosenfield:
"[The Killer] left a note written in blood. Fire, walk with me."

Agent Cooper:
"Here's the interesting thing. The blood on the note was tested. It doesn't match Leo's, Jacque's, Laura's or Ronette's."

Albert Rosenfield:
"So, we surmise the killer wrote the note in his own blood. It's a rare type, AB-."

This has always bugged me because I saw it as a sign of sloppy production. It wasn't a boom mic in the frame or a continuity error with cups or donuts, it was a major plot point and I was shocked Lynch and Frost let it slip through.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

The Grey Lodge wrote:S1E06:
Doc Hayward:
"Jacques Renaults blood is AB-."

S2E01:
Albert Rosenfield:
"[The Killer] left a note written in blood. Fire, walk with me."

Agent Cooper:
"Here's the interesting thing. The blood on the note was tested. It doesn't match Leo's, Jacque's, Laura's or Ronette's."

Albert Rosenfield:
"So, we surmise the killer wrote the note in his own blood. It's a rare type, AB-."

This has always bugged me because I saw it as a sign of sloppy production. It wasn't a boom mic in the frame or a continuity error with cups or donuts, it was a major plot point and I was shocked Lynch and Frost let it slip through.
This used to bother me too, but after talking with some people I think this one can actually be explained. Though AB- IS a very rare type, they tested it and said, explicitly, that the blood on the "Fire walk with me" note doesn't match Jacque's, who Dr. Hayward already told us had AB- blood. So just because the blood types are the same, doesn't mean the DNA is a match, which, clearly, it isn't. They never say in the script that it isn't the same type, just that it doesn't match. Presumably, there is other information encoded in blood to match up, otherwise 2 people with the same blood type would be indistinguishable at a crime scene, and clearly that's not the case.
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

I don´t know whether it can be considered an editing mistake if we bear in mind the special physics laws of the lodge, but I noticed the other day, writing in the "Annie in FWWM" thread that just after Annie´s disappearance in the lodge while Windom and Cooper were looking at her, we can see two tables, but, inmediately after, when Cooper agrees to give Windom his soul and he is stabbed, there is only one table already.

By the way, Is the shot in which Windom asks for Cooper´s soul and Cooper says "I will" filmed in two halves? I think so because it´s the only case in the whole lodge sequence where two characters speaks in different ways in the same shot: Windom, backwards and Cooper, normally. Maybe that could be the explanation of the mistake of having two tables... :?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mibbler wrote:By the way, Is the shot in which Windom asks for Cooper´s soul and Cooper says "I will" filmed in two halves? I think so because it´s the only case in the whole lodge sequence where two characters speaks in different ways in the same shot: Windom, backwards and Cooper, normally. Maybe that could be the explanation of the mistake of having two tables... :?
I think the simplest explanation is that Kyle mouthed the words (backwards) in the scene, then audio of him speaking the words normally was added during editing.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

StealThisCorn wrote:This used to bother me too, but after talking with some people I think this one can actually be explained. Though AB- IS a very rare type, they tested it and said, explicitly, that the blood on the "Fire walk with me" note doesn't match Jacque's, who Dr. Hayward already told us had AB- blood. So just because the blood types are the same, doesn't mean the DNA is a match, which, clearly, it isn't. They never say in the script that it isn't the same type, just that it doesn't match. Presumably, there is other information encoded in blood to match up, otherwise 2 people with the same blood type would be indistinguishable at a crime scene, and clearly that's not the case.
Yes, but in a serialized TV murder mystery where all the clues are vital, they should've explained to the audience that while Jacque shared same blood type as the killer, his DNA didn't match. Even something that small could have alleviated a lot of confusion.

Here's another:

At the end of the first season finale, Cooper receives a message from Audrey (the card telling him that she's gone to One Eyed Jack's), which he promptly puts on table when the phone rings (Andy's call). When season two starts, the card was magically under his bed.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

The Grey Lodge wrote:At the end of the first season finale, Cooper receives a message from Audrey (the card telling him that she's gone to One Eyed Jack's), which he promptly puts on table when the phone rings (Andy's call). When season two starts, the card was magically under his bed.
Well with that one, you know, Andy was in the room with the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department looking for clues about Cooper's shooting and he went to reach for the note, and hit his head and knocked the note under the bed accidentally and then forgot and went to the bathroom. Sometimes you hit your head on a plank and find a hidden stash of boots and cocaine and sometimes you hit your head and knock Audrey's note under the bed. Win some, lose some. :lol: So, yeah, it's Andy's fault.

In all seriousness though, all the clues and suspects in Season 1 are red herrings because, at that point, Lynch and Frost had no intention of actually solving the mystery, so the clues really aren't that vital and by throwing in the high strangeness of inhabiting spirits and dark magic into the mix it pretty much takes a deus ex machina (Laura telling Cooper in a dream and then him suddenly remembering this) to actually solve. Definitely not your traditional TV murder mystery, though I can see how watching it now for the first time with no prior knowledge might lead one to try at first.

But the blood type thing *probably* was a gaff in that they forgot they had that in the Episode 5 script, but it's not completely contradictory.