Kyle MacLachlan discussing Twin Peaks vs. Desperate House

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TelegramSam

Kyle MacLachlan discussing Twin Peaks vs. Desperate House

Post by TelegramSam »

I haven't seen this video posted here, if it was I apologize (I tried searching the TP forum and couldn't find it) and please be gentle since I'm a new poster! Honestly, it bummed me out a bit because Kyle comes across as disingenuous, sort of hinting that Desperate Housewives is a better ran show than TP. Anyway, judge for yourself.
Also, it's a hulu video (should be available to view for free) and it didn't preview right with the youtube tag, so I'll post the link to cover my bases. http://www.hulu.com/watch/121355
http://www.hulu.com/watch/121355[/youtube]
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Kyle MacLachlan discussing Twin Peaks vs. Desperate Hous

Post by qbin2001 »

Is it the same one as here?

http://on.aol.com/video/desperate-house ... -517168661

Hulu is unavailable outside US.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

It does indeed appear to be the same one, I apologize if it was already posted.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Marc Cherry was a little harsh on Twin Peaks there I felt. Especially when you consider that Season 2 of TP will be better remembered culturally than the whole of Desperate Housewives.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Coffee wrote:Marc Cherry was a little harsh on Twin Peaks there I felt. Especially when you consider that Season 2 of TP will be better remembered culturally than the whole of Desperate Housewives.
I know, I didn't want to come out and say it, but who cares? Desperate Housewives is mindless fluff, but for some reason a lot of people love taking shots at David Lynch (maybe they're jealous Desperate Housewives is never going to be picked by the Criterion Collection?). Kyle's reaction is what really bums me out though, and it seems to contradict the way he describes his feelings about Season 2 on the Definitive Gold Box set. One lesson I've learned over the years with films, though, is that more often than not the "character" you are a fan of is the voice of the director/writer, not the actor, so you can't get too caught up in it. I still really like Kyle as an actor, it's probably just a case of "love the one you're with".
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

Dunno, but I loved DH. When I'd see the ads for it on tv, it looked like dummed down tv to me, but luckily, I did give the pilot a gander via Netflix rental...and I was sold on the series! It's very facetious. I think the main thrust of the show is just that: humor.

Kyle was excellent in his role. He was funny as hell!

Both TP and DH have great merit, IMHO
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Well, I can't see the video, so I don't know how Kyle made the comparaison between the two shows, I think he try to please both fans of these TV shows...but you know TelegramSam, he have already said multiples times (recently or not) in various interviews (and not onely in the DVD) how he have loved Twin Peaks and that Dale Cooper is his favorite role, and according some casts from TP, he was very close to his role, so it was not just creator and writer voices (apparently the character Dale Cooper is a mix between him and David Lynch)...so I don't think we can take too directly the comment of an actor, specially about "comparaison", because in general they will always try to be consensual.

But recently, he have said that he really wish to comeback in the role of Dale Cooper, but during the same time he have more or less left his role in Desesperate Housewives, I think that speak more than the words about his real feeling about these two differents shows...and I have liked Desesperate Housewives.

edit: I have seen the video, that pretty normal that he try to be "more" positive with Desperate Housewives, he is among the casting of DP probably during the promo !!! He don't have said anything negative against Twin Peaks.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Hey, back in the first season (the one, lone season of DH which I think was actually pretty great television), I thought Desperate Housewives actually owed a HUGE debt to Twin Peaks. The entire series began with a mysterious death of a beloved member of a close-knit community (a suicide instead of a murder this time around) that sent shockwaves through the town and forced a lot of their dirty laundry and secrets out into the open, while the mystery of that dead woman became a McGuffin which ran through the season. And its tone was a blend of light, fluffy comedy, soap opera melodramatics, and darker mystery plots. It was a soap and a knowing spoof of soaps at the same time. Sound familiar? And like TP, exploded right out of the gate as an almost immediate pop culture phenomenon.

It's even more uncanny when you remember that Sheryl Lee was originally cast in the role of that dead character, and would have served as the narrator for the series had ABC not felt like she was too ethereal and they wanted someone warmer, hence the casting of Brenda Strong, another TP alum (would-be Sheriff Truman assassin Jones)!

And to be fair, Desperate Housewives ended up being a helluva lot more durable than TP was, though that's probably largely because it was generally a lot dumber and lighter and easier to digest (for mainstream USA) all around. I don't think Kyle is necessarily knocking TP, it's more like a dig at its showrunners for drifting away and not being entirely focused on the show (which DID lead to a big dip in TP's overall quality).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

If I am not mistaken, Jones (Brenda Strong) from Twin Peaks was the one who committed suicide and narrated DH, right? It's a strange world.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

TheArm wrote:Sheryl Lee was originally cast in the role of that dead character,
Yes, an unaired pilot was actually shot with her, and it was floating around on the net a while back; maybe still is.

It's actually the only DH episode I've ever watched :)
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

I don't want to say too much, but don't forget that Kyle and Dave had a falling out about Cooper in the second season and for TP-FWWM. So he has had a bad taste in his mouth about the show to some extent. Now he and Dave are good friends, but there was a time... And Kyle looks forward, not back, same as Dave. I don'y want to get too involved here, as I am friends with both, but Kyle probably had better exposure with DH and 'Sex and the City' than he did with TP, and has to weigh it accordingly.
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

garethw wrote:
TheArm wrote:Sheryl Lee was originally cast in the role of that dead character,
Yes, an unaired pilot was actually shot with her, and it was floating around on the net a while back; maybe still is.

It's actually the only DH episode I've ever watched :)
It's still on youtube although I'm not sure if it's the entire episode - it is 25 minutes long as far as I remember.
And in fact Lee's voice was too dreamy as someone has said for this show.