Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

Post by skawitch »

Cheers for your answers TheArm! I'm trying not to get my hopes up here but, dammit, they've done it again.

I've watched the video with Mark Frost's answer 20+ times now (yes, I know, I need to find something better to do with my time). I'm going to do some obsessive fan boy speculating:
- Firstly I love the audience gasp after 'All I can say is this...'
- Your completely right - something is coming, but it's impossible to say what, his response was so vague
- Most interesting is the response from the rest of the people on stage - none of them seem particularly surprised by this bit of teasing.

Personal theory: I simply can't see Lynch going for a novel or comic. Twin Peaks is about TV - it draws on the tropes, the genres, the techniques, the history, hell it even the subverts advert breaks with Coop's ad man like exclamations about pie and coffee. It wouldn't work in another medium. I'm voracious comic and book reader and, simply put, if Twin Peaks transfers over to either of them (besides something like the diary, town guide or tapes) it will become about the plot of the story rather, which is great but only makes up part of what TP was about. And I really don't see Lynch going for that - the message and ambiance is simply too important to his work.

I think we're going to see something filmed. Whatever shape that takes.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Great, big thanks to whichever nice person filmed and uploaded this stuff. I hope each of the Q&A panels gets filmed and posted.

Does anybody know if it's USC that's also been professionally filming these things for their own use later, or could it be that Mark and David (and whoever holds the release rights for Twin Peaks on Bluray) could be filming these things to at least include fragments of the cast Q&A's as a special feature for the Bluray? There are so many cast members involved in these things in the coming weeks... certainly seems like a good opportunity to film new Twin Peaks oriented interviews with them for a Bluray feature while they're all in one place.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

hopesfall wrote:Thanks! I'll check those out when I get home. Did you film this yourself? :D
Nope! I may attend the final one though.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

bosguy1981 wrote:Great, big thanks to whichever nice person filmed and uploaded this stuff. I hope each of the Q&A panels gets filmed and posted.

Does anybody know if it's USC that's also been professionally filming these things for their own use later, or could it be that Mark and David (and whoever holds the release rights for Twin Peaks on Bluray) could be filming these things to at least include fragments of the cast Q&A's as a special feature for the Bluray? There are so many cast members involved in these things in the coming weeks... certainly seems like a good opportunity to film new Twin Peaks oriented interviews with them for a Bluray feature while they're all in one place.
Yes, USC is pro filming the entire series and it should be online at some point. Hopefully viewable by the public.

I've talked to the YouTube uploader and his plan is to attend and film all of them as well.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ian Buchanan, Gary Hershberger, Kimmy Robertson, Wendy Robie, and Kenneth Welsh will attend on 3/24.

Paula Shimatsu-U. added to 2/17.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Ian Buchanan, Gary Hershberger, Kimmy Robertson, Wendy Robie, and Kenneth Welsh will attend on 3/24.

Paula Shimatsu-U. added to 2/17.
Wow- these lineups are amazing. Sure wish I could attend any one of them!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm going on 4/14 - I cannot pass up the chance to see the final episode on the big screen!

:D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Just a thought, but do you think Lynch would consider doing an animated Twin Peaks? He has shown some interest in animation, considering he did make Dumbland, after all. The cast may not look like their early 90's selves anymore, but they certainly could still sound like them. This was actually done for an episode of Dr. Who that was lost, and the vocal track was all that survived.

Check this out for an example of how it could be done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgL7I3uuBw
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

What are your thoughts on all of this? Was Frost's reply that TP is a continuing story anything more than Lynch's "I love the world of TP"?

Does anyone really think there will be a season 3?
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

missoulamt -

I've thought about the 'I love Twin Peaks and its world' comparison too but it's the context that matters. That was in the 'Slice of Lynch' feature on the Gold Box set and that was a decent tribute interview with David and a few stars set in a diner. It wasn't a discussion of any future Peaks or anything like that. It wasn't any massively ambitious analysis either, but rather a pretty safe feature for a dvd box set.

The seminars at USC are a different thing altogether. I am sure Frost and the others there spoke together about likely questions that would turn up. They are often (if not always) asked about future TP possibilities so Frost had in his mind this response. 'All I can say' means or sounds like all he is really allowed to say right now. Why else phrase it like that? This is coming from a writer who is perfectly able to speak eloquently. He could have just said 'Twin Peaks was a continuing story' and that was always the idea for the show, but not that it 'IS' a continuing story. He surely knew what he was saying...or at least I hope so!
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

But "all I can say, TP is a continuing story" could also just mean "there just isn't very much to report / TP will live on" :)

It makes more sense from a creator/marketing sense of view rather than bluntly saying "we have no plans to do more TP".
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Such an amazing assortment of guests they are getting. Sure wish I could attend these. At least we can watch the Q&As online.

Anyone not announced yet that people hope attend?

Badalamenti would be great, as would music editor Lori Eschler. And of course any of the other actors.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Ross wrote:Anyone not announced yet that people hope attend?
Yes - DAVID LYNCH.

I can't imagine he'd ever do this and only does these kinds of appearances when it's on his own terms, so I'm not holding out much hope, but it would be so cool. Especially to have him, Frost and maybe Badalamenti all up there together at the same time. Michael Ontkean would also be cool, since I feel like he's sort of vanished off the face of the earth since he moved to Hawaii (save his mute cameo in The Descendants), or Richard Beymer.

We also rarely get to hear behind-the-scenes villainess Lara Flynn Boyle talk about her experience on the show, so that would be cool too.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Missoulamt: that's what I thought at first, but watching that clip and the way he says it, it just seems like he's going for something more than that. God knows though we've seen enough of these flurries of misinterpreted quotes over the years to doubt any possibility.

I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. IF any new TP content comes out next year, and that's a massive IF, I don't think, blu-ray an soundtrack aside, it would be anything other than filmed content. I just can't see how Lynch would go for anything else, it doesn't make sense for the world of TP. But by the same token I really don't buy that Lynch would go for a new series or even a new film, he's made it quite clear over the last few years that his priorities lay elsewhere - if he makes a non-TP new film I think it's going to be another free form IE style piece. I mean why bother with studios interfering with your vision? If he did want to do a new TP I really think there would be no problem, there's so many avenues Frost & he could pursue on their own terms that they could easily get it done. Futhermore, I'd put good money on the fact that they've at the very least been approached by companies to do a reboot in the last few years, even though it will have been shot down instantly. So it becomes a question of will and I don't think Lynch has the will to commit to a full series anymore. The old DL.com website, the freedom IE and shooting digital seem to have been real game changers for him and I think this is why there will never be a series 3. Plus Jennifer Lynch quite clearly said there is no return of TP.

So the truth may lay somewhere between the two statements but I've got more faith in Jennfier's statement, we'll be getting something for 25 years but I think we'd be misleading ourselves and getting our hopes up too high if we think it's some sort of grand return.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Lori Eschler Frystak added!! 3/10

There you go Ross!