Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:If you haven't watched Part 6 of the Q&A yet, you should do so! Mary Sweeney spends a few minutes talking about cutting down Fire Walk With Me from its original 5-1/2 hour long cut.

The most interesting detail is she reveals that most of the scenes were cut from the "rough cut" meaning that all of those deleted scenes would need to be prepared, mixed, and scored (evidently that didn't happen back in 1991). This reveals more of why releasing those scenes would be an "expensive proposition" as she put it.

She fondly refers to two scenes in particular: Big Ed and Norma in the cab of the pick-up truck, and Pete Martell in the lumber yard.

Big thanks to whoever asked Mary the question!
That's what I've always heard as well. That it was at the earliest stage.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Post by Brie and Butter »

bosguy1981 wrote:Big thanks to whoever asked Mary the question!
You did! (I just voiced it, ha.)
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Brie and Butter wrote:
Oh, that was you?! Well, gee, thanks a trillion for speaking up and asking the question. I really appreciate it.

Loved that she mentioned the Big Ed & Norma scene. For whatever reason, that's probably the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing someday.

Thanks again! :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Brie and Butter wrote:
Oh, that was you?! Well, gee, thanks a trillion for speaking up and asking the question. I really appreciate it.

Loved that she mentioned the Big Ed & Norma scene. For whatever reason, that's probably the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing someday.

Thanks again! :D
Me too- maybe because we've actually seen a still from it, and that it wasn't in the script. It doesn't sound like she had any knowledge of any cleanup being done on the scenes though. Sigh.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Michael Ontkean to probably be Skyped in on the 24th. Also apparently trying to lock in Julee Cruise.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Some other notes from this evening:

Jonathan P. Shaw couldn't attend tonight but will likely be at the next one on the 24th. The events for the final 3 eps and FWWM will probably be up on USC's site this week with the guest line-ups. It sounds like there is a big group being assembled for FWWM, but right now it sounds like only Sherilyn Fenn is confirmed for the April 14th event. It sounds like there is a strong possibility that Julee Cruise will be at one of these. They're trying to get Kyle for the finale, as well, but there are some scheduling conflicts. Also trying to get David Patrick Kelly, who is currently doing Once on Broadway.

Another wonderful event overall though. I don't know that I learned that much new stuff, but I did learn that Lesli Linka Glatter actually played the old hag at One-Eyed Jack's who sewed Audrey's card onto her dress! Also, the photos in Fleshworld were primarily crew members (Lesli also did one of these). Peggy Lipton was so angry at Chris Mulkey for unexpectedly pulling her up to the bars in the jail cell in their final scene together that she hasn't spoken to him since. She also once threw a book at Gregg Fienberg because she was so angry that her trailer didn't have heat when they were shooting FWWM! And the log was not in attendance with Catherine Coulson, unfortunately. Harley was also wonderfully candid about some of the stuff in Season 2 that didn't work (he frequently referred to the Little Nicky and Evelyn plots).
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Oh, and unfortunately it doesn't sound like David Lynch himself will appear at any of these, which is a real shame (though not for lack of trying on USC's part). I wish I could understand why he's so reticent to appear at this stuff. No LFB either (though I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone!). And apparently Miguel Ferrer said no, which also mystifies me.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Week Five Video

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I have to add just how lovely the guests are. I always feel awkward "rushing" celebs at these things, but they were all so nice and so happy to see one another and so appreciative of the love for the show that it was a pleasure to talk to them. I get the sense that everybody is really taken aback and very pleased by the fact that the show has gone from being a small, weird, fringe cult thing to being regarded now as a bona fide TV classic.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

The event for the final 3 episodes is up on the USC site now - http://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=13396

Only guest listed/confirmed right now is Sherilyn.
SenorDroolcup

Post by SenorDroolcup »

TheArm wrote:The event for the final 3 episodes is up on the USC site now - http://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=13396

Only guest listed/confirmed right now is Sherilyn.
Haha, *only*... One-on-one with Sherilyn is spectacular! But I'm working on others.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

That's what you get for spoiling us with so many incredible, huge line-ups!!

I'm kidding, of course, and apologize for the poorly-worded post. I didn't mean that at all, just that she was the one guest currently confirmed thus far. I would gladly attend a one-on-one Q&A with the on-set craft services person from TP, let alone one of the show's most celebrated actresses, so please don't think I'm complaining in the slightest.

Incredibly grateful for all the work you've done and super excited for what's still to come. I meeean, Dick Tremayne and Lucy live reunion, for goodness sake!! :)
Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Post by Brie and Butter »

I, too, would like to voice my appreciation. My initial concerns about the marathon binge-viewings were unfounded, for I'm having a blast -- even after we've entered James/Evelyn/Malcolm subplot hell. (I know Little Nicky isn't very popular either, but to me, all of Dick Tremayne's subplots are lousy, but he's such a fun character to watch that it doesn't matter.) The Q&A's have all been great as well.

Excited to enter the home stretch.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

SenorDroolcup wrote:One-on-one with Sherilyn is spectacular! But I'm working on others.
Great work on this! It's been quite a treat.

Sounds like Kyle's schedule is pretty booked but I'd kill to see him and Sherilyn walk on stage and give each other a big hug. Let bygones be bygones and feel the Twin Peaks loooove! :D
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

amen to that... it would be great and historic.

I for one have been looking forward to the later episode panels. I've heard practically everything about the perfect early episodes, so it's really interesting to hear behind the scenes stories when a project goes awry.

thanks again for posting.

*really, really want to go the april 14th night.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?