unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
Xryztofer
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Xryztofer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Brie and Butter wrote:I'm sure it's something that many others have wondered, but how did Cooper and co. never realize that Laura and Ronette both worked at the perfume counter? I seem to recall that Laura didn't work there long, but still, it makes the good guys seem implausibly bumbling. Any idea why this detail was removed from the original script of Episode 2?


Cooper did know. Audrey told him at the beginning of S1E4 that Laura worked there, and he immediately made the connection with Ronette. Hawk must have informed him that she worked there too because Hawk's the one that her parents told in the hospital in the previous episode.
Brie and Butter
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Brie and Butter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:54 pm

You're right, and I slapped my forehead when watching that episode over the weekend. Still seems a bit strange that the connection was discarded and not explored further, but then again, I guess it's not every day that a department store fragrance counter is used to recruit for a brothel.
Dalai Cooper
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 am

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Dalai Cooper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm

In a similar vein to the Donna's-quick-recovery thing upthread: in the (otherwise flawless) finale, Norma is shown at the beginning blissfully dancing and making goo-goo eyes at Ed - all very nice, but shouldn't she be at least slightly concerned by the fact that she has just seen her sister abducted by a serial killer?

It's tempting to see this as indicative of Lynch's complete disregard for the desperate shenanigans of the previous episode, but I suspect that this scene is in the screenplay (I haven't read it) and this is just yet another example of s2 carelessness.

(should probably note that I'm not particularly bothered by this, even tho it's really just as egregious as "nobody gives a fuck about Maddy" (which does annoy me) - the rest of the episode is so good that it's easy to brush aside, and although I'm not as down on Annie as some ppl she was always more of a plot device than a real character, so it's not surprising that the writers treat her accordingly)
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby LostInTheMovies » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 am

Dalai Cooper wrote:In a similar vein to the Donna's-quick-recovery thing upthread: in the (otherwise flawless) finale, Norma is shown at the beginning blissfully dancing and making goo-goo eyes at Ed - all very nice, but shouldn't she be at least slightly concerned by the fact that she has just seen her sister abducted by a serial killer?

It's tempting to see this as indicative of Lynch's complete disregard for the desperate shenanigans of the previous episode, but I suspect that this scene is in the screenplay (I haven't read it) and this is just yet another example of s2 carelessness.

(should probably note that I'm not particularly bothered by this, even tho it's really just as egregious as "nobody gives a fuck about Maddy" (which does annoy me) - the rest of the episode is so good that it's easy to brush aside, and although I'm not as down on Annie as some ppl she was always more of a plot device than a real character, so it's not surprising that the writers treat her accordingly)


I recently listened to the USC retrospective and someone (I think Mary Jo Deschanel) says that they were all ready to shoot the scene in the Hayward living room when she mentioned, wouldn't we be in our clothes last night? And Lynch paused for a second and was like, oh yeah, and they all went back in for makeup and costume and the shoot was delayed 3 hours. I'm guessing something similar happened with this scene at Ed and Nadine's. Not so much that Lynch didn't care about continuity as he just wasn't thinking about it. And given how hands-off he was with the 2nd 1/2 of the series, not surprising that Norma's relationship to Annie wouldn't enter his head. Seems like in his head it was all about bringing it back to season 1/early season 2 it seems.
User avatar
Jonatan Silva
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Jonatan Silva » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:07 am

Audrey's bro seems - in the very begining - to be an important part of murder mystery of Laura but he suddenly is erased from the serie.
User avatar
tausendsassa
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:33 am

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby tausendsassa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 am

Johnny Horne - Audrey's brother - is one of my favorite characters from the series and I would have loved to see more of him. To me his character is a missed oportunity in the series, even more so since he is one of the first characters that gets introduced and then is more or less dropped. For example, his "Amen" at Laura's funeral feels essential to me, I can't really explain why.

Does anyone have more information on Johnny Horne's character besides what we know from the series and the deleted scenes? I think it's a bit strange that he doesn't feature more often in the series, him being a part of the Horne family and all. I also don't rate the chances of him appearing again in the new series as very high.
Dalai Cooper
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 am

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Dalai Cooper » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:11 am

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:In a similar vein to the Donna's-quick-recovery thing upthread: in the (otherwise flawless) finale, Norma is shown at the beginning blissfully dancing and making goo-goo eyes at Ed - all very nice, but shouldn't she be at least slightly concerned by the fact that she has just seen her sister abducted by a serial killer?

It's tempting to see this as indicative of Lynch's complete disregard for the desperate shenanigans of the previous episode, but I suspect that this scene is in the screenplay (I haven't read it) and this is just yet another example of s2 carelessness.

(should probably note that I'm not particularly bothered by this, even tho it's really just as egregious as "nobody gives a fuck about Maddy" (which does annoy me) - the rest of the episode is so good that it's easy to brush aside, and although I'm not as down on Annie as some ppl she was always more of a plot device than a real character, so it's not surprising that the writers treat her accordingly)


I recently listened to the USC retrospective and someone (I think Mary Jo Deschanel) says that they were all ready to shoot the scene in the Hayward living room when she mentioned, wouldn't we be in our clothes last night? And Lynch paused for a second and was like, oh yeah, and they all went back in for makeup and costume and the shoot was delayed 3 hours. I'm guessing something similar happened with this scene at Ed and Nadine's. Not so much that Lynch didn't care about continuity as he just wasn't thinking about it. And given how hands-off he was with the 2nd 1/2 of the series, not surprising that Norma's relationship to Annie wouldn't enter his head. Seems like in his head it was all about bringing it back to season 1/early season 2 it seems.


finally got around to reading the script for the finale (which, yeesh, btw - thank god for Lynch!) and Norma is in that scene, although she has a lot less to do (she doesn't speak iirc). Certainly nothing to suggest that the writers remember whose sister she is. I don't blame Lynch for not being bothered with Annie's backstory, by any means; I like Heather Graham's performance and the dippy Annnie/Dale romance, but my problem with Annie is that from the moment she appears it's plain she's a character written for one reason only - to fall victim to Windom Earle. That sat badly with me, but it's also hardly conducive to fleshed-out character development, and it leads to all three writers making what is really a pretty big oversight! Again, I don't really care - the finale has other priorities, thank God.
User avatar
OK,Bob
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby OK,Bob » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Forgive me if this has been mentioned; I haven't read through the entire thread...

At the end of DKL's Episode 8, when Leland faints in the Hayward home and Doc rushes to his side, there is the leg of a tripod (for a light, perhaps?) about four inches from the Doc's foot. Someone is trying to lift the leg out of view, but to no avail... Worse yet, there is a heap of film gear (looks like power) in the background. Then we get a slightly wider shot and beyond the brightly colored power cables we see what appears to be a woman's foot.

I guess Ray fell where he did and Lynch worked with it; crew and gear be damned. ;-)
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
User avatar
Agent Sam Stanley
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Agent Sam Stanley » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:51 am

Yeah, I noticed the film gear and the colored power cables in the Leland fainting scene for the first time in the Bluray. I wish they had removed it like they did with Andy's glove and the microphones.

As for Norma not caring that Annie was kidnapped, I always assumed that by that scene with Ed she wasn't aware that Annie was taken, as everybody ran out during the flickering lights.
4815162342
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby 4815162342 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:49 am

Even if she didn't know Annie was taken, Annie was onstage, and she clearly didn't check up on her afterward to make sure she was ok. It's a continuity error. I think they just made Annie Norma's sister as a contrivance to get her working at the RR, they didn't actually want to explore that relationship.
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby LostInTheMovies » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Yeah, I noticed the film gear and the colored power cables in the Leland fainting scene for the first time in the Bluray. I wish they had removed it like they did with Andy's glove and the microphones.

As for Norma not caring that Annie was kidnapped, I always assumed that by that scene with Ed she wasn't aware that Annie was taken, as everybody ran out during the flickering lights.


Interesting - I wonder if it was because it was Lynch-directed and he seems so phobic about making changes after the fact? I mean this would seem to be a pretty clear case where it's justified but maybe it's just too much of a general principle for him. He certainly doesn't like to second-guess. Of course you'd assume the other episode fixes needed his approval too, but maybe since he didn't actually direct them it seemed more kosher. Dunno...
User avatar
dugpa
Site Admin
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 am
Contact:

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby dugpa » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 am

[quote="Agent Sam Stanley"]Yeah, I noticed the film gear and the colored power cables in the Leland fainting scene for the first time in the Bluray./quote]

Never noticed it till I read this post.

Here is a screen cap. Curious if there are any others out there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436427710.140509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436427710.140509.jpg (201.48 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
User avatar
dugpa
Site Admin
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 am
Contact:

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby dugpa » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:46 am

Jonfen wrote:
Si78 wrote:One that bugs me is how Harold clearly accidentally gets fake blood on his face before he applies pressure to cut himself in episode 12.


I just rewatched this episode last night and never noticed just how clear it is that the fake blood is already there! Gave me a chuckle.


Definitely noticed this more when watching in HD.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436427994.149387.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436427994.149387.jpg (244.67 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:32 pm

dugpa wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Yeah, I noticed the film gear and the colored power cables in the Leland fainting scene for the first time in the Bluray./quote]

Never noticed it till I read this post.

Here is a screen cap. Curious if there are any others out there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436427710.140509.jpg


Well, it's something that can be fixed for The Completer Mystery.
chalfont
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am
Location: Norway

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Postby chalfont » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:33 am

Got a question here:
Just spent a few days in Poland and allthough DL obviously fell in love with Poland before/while making Inland Empire, it seems he has had a thing for this country for some time. Ronette Pulaski is most likely polish, Louise Dombrowski is definitly polish. From the start of his career DL has loved to film large industrial factories (Eraserhead). Has Poland maybe always been Lynch' vision of a "real" industrial site (typical communism, coal, large factories)?
Or has anyone else some facts/ideas on this?

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests