Carlton Cuse Admits to Ripping off Twin Peaks for TV's Bates

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cart

Carlton Cuse Admits to Ripping off Twin Peaks for TV's Bates

Post by cart »

"During a Bates Motel panel discussion Friday, Carlton Cuse was blunt about borrowing from a classic. No, not Hitchcock’s Psycho; TV’s Twin Peaks. “We pretty much ripped off Twin Peaks,” joked Cuse, executive producer of the A&E series with Kerry Ehrin, in response to a question about the similarities from panel moderator Shawn Ryan. “If you wanted to get that confession, the answer is yes,” he continued, tongue in cheek. “I loved that show. They only did 30 episodes. Kerry and I thought we’d do the 70 that are missing.”"

You can read the full article here at deadline.

Code: Select all

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/carlton-cuse-at-bates-motel-panel-we-pretty-much-ripped-off-twin-peaks/
Interesting read - too bad the upsurge of admiration for this beloved world hasn't sparked a desire in Mr. Lynch to revisit this place himself.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Carlton Cuse Admits to Ripping off Twin Peaks for TV's B

Post by bosguy1981 »

Mark Frost didn't seem amused by Carlton Cuse saying they ripped off Twin Peaks. He re-tweeted a link to the Deadline article, adding "I love it when they laugh about stealing."
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Deleted

Post by Kmkmiller »

Deleted
Last edited by Kmkmiller on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I love Bates Motel and really do not see any direct ripoffs from the show.
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

I am a big fan of the Psycho movies (expect for the remake of the original) and also Twin Peaks and I must say I haven't seen anything this good since Twin Peaks. Alot of these TV shows these day suck but this one has the similarities for Twin Peaks, like with the town filled with secrets and being dark and gloomy.

Something's about the Psycho timeline is out of wack, if anyone has ever watch all 4 Psycho movies. Norman was a lot younger when he killed his mother, his father was stung to death by bees and he never had a brother but then again its just great to see a creator bring both iconic movie/series back for a new generation to see with a twist.

Sent from my XT901 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I think he's talking about the 'town full of secrets' aspect, but TP can't really claim ownership of that concept.The only thing Bates really took from Twin Peaks is the vibe. Personally, I think that is a huge accomplishment since so many shows have tried and failed to capture any of Twin Peaks' magic. Bates has it for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but Bates sucks me into another world as successfully and completely as Twin Peaks does. It's easily my favorite show on TV these days and all Peaks fans should give it a shot.