US Season Two - Sound Mix

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

US Season Two - Sound Mix

Post by silenttwn »

Is it just me or are the music and sound effects mixed REALLY LOUD and sometimes drown out the speech audio. It might just be because I'm playing it through two speakers but yeah, dang. I usually watch the episodes with subtitles.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

It may be the down mix to stereo, but I can't say for sure. On my surround system, everything is at a good level. Dialouge is clear.
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

jmichael wrote:It may be the down mix to stereo, but I can't say for sure. On my surround system, everything is at a good level. Dialouge is clear.
I use a surround system and noticed the soundtrack overpowering the dialogue coming from the center speaker, so I had to adjust the volume up on that channel. Then very late I was using headphones and had problems hearing the dialogue in some scenes because of the loudness of the music. (my ears are good)

There are some episodes that are "worse" than others. If so many people are noticing and mentioning this then something's up.

When originally broadcast, and on the VHS and Laserdiscs, the mix was perfect. But Lynch is notorious for liking very loud music in his work.

So I think either there's a mistake, or Lynch mixed it badly for the Season 2 DVDs. :(
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I did note that the mix was on the loud side, but I didn't find it to be overpowering.

It may also be that my center channel is set a little louder than most people's, as I was never fully satisfied with it's sound (for any dvd) at the default settings.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

While I do enjoy the sound mixes, I have to say that I do prefer the original 2.0 mixes which are absent from the set. A shame really as they included the original Spanish and Portuguese mixes.
tj o'pootertoot

Post by tj o'pootertoot »

Given how meticulous Lynch is about this it's amazing that mistakes get through on the DVDs.

Someone can correct me since I haven't watched in a little bit but isn't the music level totally off in the "partyland" scene in FWWM? It's supposed to drown out the talking (hence the subtitles) but I feel like you can hear the dialogue pretty clearly.

It makes a mockery of the subtitles, the effort of making a DTS track and of Lynch's specific instructions to theatre owners on how to set the levels. (I guess you can turn down your centre channel but that's kinda beside the point.)
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Yes, the Partyland scene is not mixed right on the FWWM dvd. Another problem with that mix is that the music cue that is played over the shot of the Liberty Bell when we first cut to Philadelphia is mixing (I think it's there on the French track).
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

tj o'pootertoot wrote:Given how meticulous Lynch is about this it's amazing that mistakes get through on the DVDs.

Someone can correct me since I haven't watched in a little bit but isn't the music level totally off in the "partyland" scene in FWWM? It's supposed to drown out the talking (hence the subtitles) but I feel like you can hear the dialogue pretty clearly.

It makes a mockery of the subtitles, the effort of making a DTS track and of Lynch's specific instructions to theatre owners on how to set the levels. (I guess you can turn down your centre channel but that's kinda beside the point.)
Go figure. I also noticed it was odd the dialogue in that scene was louder, or the music wasn't as loud. Odd.
> Enter The Lodge
Parkamarka

Post by Parkamarka »

I'm watching the series a couple of episodes per week with some friends, and I've felt like the dialogue was marginally quieter than everything else compared to S1, but not annoyingly so. Watching episode 20-21 tonight though, I found myself adjusting the volume constantly, unable to find a satisfying balance. Has anyone else found the later episodes to have a worse sound mix than the earlier ones? It sounds unfeasible, I know, but I really struggled with these last two...
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Parkamarka wrote:I'm watching the series a couple of episodes per week with some friends, and I've felt like the dialogue was marginally quieter than everything else compared to S1, but not annoyingly so. Watching episode 20-21 tonight though, I found myself adjusting the volume constantly, unable to find a satisfying balance. Has anyone else found the later episodes to have a worse sound mix than the earlier ones? It sounds unfeasible, I know, but I really struggled with these last two...
I don't remember exactly which episode it was, but right around the one Diane Keaton directed, had major sound problems. I remember a scene with James on the motorcycle and the music really blasting, which was fine, but when the dialogue came I would have have to turn the volume up, then turn it down when the music came back.
> Enter The Lodge
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Everyone is talking about the R1 release right?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Parkamarka

Post by Parkamarka »

Jerry Horne wrote:Everyone is talking about the R1 release right?
Yup.