Why is the Complete Mystery not being released on DVD?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Why is the Complete Mystery not being released on DVD?

Post by Diane »

I don't really want to have to buy a Blu-Ray player just to watch this. Are they at least going to release a stand-alone Blu-Ray and DVD of FWWM + deleted scenes?
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Re: Why is the Complete Mystery not being released on DVD?

Post by fearltd »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say probably not. I don't really think blu-ray players are very expensive these days anyway. I'm sure you could get a good one for <$50. Plus the picture and audio quality is significantly superior than that of a DVD. I think it's worth the upgrade if you can.
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

Do you have a PS3? If so, it has a Blu Ray

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

A lot of people don't realize that BluRay players play DVD as well, so you wouldn't be buying a new piece of hardware for just the one set. It also plays CDs and files and if hooked to the internet can also be like a roku. It's a pretty good investment if you are able :)
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Yes I'm planning to buy one for this too but didn't know they played ordinary DVD's also. (Which is good as we've been planning to buy an new ordinary DVD player for a while but now I know they play both that's great.) When it is released here in the UK that is. Hope it's the same/similar date, wouldn't be able to stand the wait if it's not!
The Angels will return...
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

[Leland's voice]Maddy? Is it you?[/Leland's voice]

:D
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

Maddy wrote:Yes I'm planning to buy one for this too but didn't know they played ordinary DVD's also. (Which is good as we've been planning to buy an new ordinary DVD player for a while but now I know they play both that's great.) When it is released here in the UK that is. Hope it's the same/similar date, wouldn't be able to stand the wait if it's not!
Maddy, after the enormous delay in releasing the Gold Box in the UK, I'm relieved to say it's scheduled for 29 July here too.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I went ahead and preordered it. My only reservation was that a Blu-Ray player won't be able to play my foreign DVDs, but I didn't realize I could have my all-region DVD player and the Blu-Ray hooked up at the same time.
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

Indeed, I would like to see this footage too. Don't mind buying a blue ray player as I'm sure they're now pretty cheap, but wonder if they also handle all regions. My current DVD player does. I have some British DVD sets and would need a player to be able to read those.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

My Blu Ray player can play DVDs from all regions, but can only play Blu Rays from my region (B) or region free ones. I don't know if this is typical for most Blu Ray players...
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

What player do you have?
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

It depends on what player you get. Like DVD players you can find ones that can be hacked to be region free. My player is one, a Toshiba BDX3200, wasn't expensive and it's hackable to be multiregion DVD and region switchable for Bluray. If you do a little research you can find one similar :)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Like others, I'll be investing in a blu-ray player specifically for this purpose. My only reservation is that I don't have an HDTV but I'm given to understand that this won't be a problem (except in the sense I won't be getting maximal quality). Is that correct? FWIW, my TV can connect via HDMI input as well as the usual A/V inputs.
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Like others, I'll be investing in a blu-ray player specifically for this purpose. My only reservation is that I don't have an HDTV but I'm given to understand that this won't be a problem (except in the sense I won't be getting maximal quality). Is that correct? FWIW, my TV can connect via HDMI input as well as the usual A/V inputs.
It will work fine with a standard TV; you just won't get any benefit from the increased picture resolution.

To address the initial post question, I suspect it's only being released on Blu-ray because it would take up far more DVD discs, plus the Gold Box is a relatively comprehensive DVD set anyway. It's just not worth creating two new sets, particularly since Blu-ray players can now be bought so cheap and most people have HDTVs.