FWWM questions (probably asked before but what the hell)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: FWWM questions (probably asked before but what the hell)

Post by hopesfall »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Maybe they thought about Laura when they wrote that but realized it would make no sense, that's why it got deleted.
This is exactly what i was thinking as i read that. It does seem like a nice idea in theory, Laura being spotted with Theresa, but the job application is way out there and out of any context/plausability.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I randomly thought of another idea. What if the "friend" looking for a job, who had an "argument with her" and who "could've been her sister" was going to turn out to be the Nurse at the end who steals the Ring from Annie in the hospital? That would be an interesting tie-in and she might have even recognized it as Theresa's ring and been jealous. It would definitely make the ending not seem so random to me, but maybe it's a stretch.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

StealThisCorn wrote:I randomly thought of another idea. What if the "friend" looking for a job, who had an "argument with her" and who "could've been her sister" was going to turn out to be the Nurse at the end who steals the Ring from Annie in the hospital? That would be an interesting tie-in and she might have even recognized it as Theresa's ring and been jealous. It would definitely make the ending not seem so random to me, but maybe it's a stretch.
That's actually an interesting theory StealThisCorn, never thought about this.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Any theories regarding the scene with Cooper checking the security camera repeatedly until he sees himself frozen on it? I always just assumed this bit was weirdness for the sake of being weird - i.e. no hidden meaning. But do you think it relates to a dream? Or to time slowing down because of Jefferies entrance?

Also wondering if there's a thread that deals with this film indepth and the ring theories, etc. I seem to remember there was but using the search function can't seem to find one...
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Maybe I missed something, but why was the missing ring so important/relevant to the investigation? I can see why Stanley was concerned about it since he's so attentive to small details, but as the above scenes showed Chet was also concerned. "Let's hope it's there".
Cooper, in the Missing Pieces, also appears to have a keen interest in the ring. I get the impression that (to Cole's inner circle - Jeffries, Desmond, Cooper) it is a known variable in "Cole's Blue Rose cases." In the script it is unclear whether Cole and Company know precisely what the ring's markings are. When Cooper uncovers the same symbol in Owl Cave, we can't know if he recognizes it or not.

We can only hope there will be more of the ring in 2016.

P.S. When Cole asks in FWWM, "...where is Chester Desmond?", has anyone else noted that the figure approaching in the right-most video monitor appears to have a bearing very similar to Isaak/Desmond?
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

OK,Bob wrote:P.S. When Cole asks in FWWM, "...where is Chester Desmond?", has anyone else noted that the figure approaching in the right-most video monitor appears to have a bearing very similar to Isaak/Desmond?
Yes! It gets me every time. I always wonder if it's a coincidence. Or if there are no coincidences in David Lynch's world. Or if there are ONLY coincidences in David Lynch's world...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jonah wrote:Any theories regarding the scene with Cooper checking the security camera repeatedly until he sees himself frozen on it? I always just assumed this bit was weirdness for the sake of being weird - i.e. no hidden meaning. But do you think it relates to a dream? Or to time slowing down because of Jefferies entrance?

Also wondering if there's a thread that deals with this film indepth and the ring theories, etc. I seem to remember there was but using the search function can't seem to find one...
There is a pretty extensive ring thread here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2664. Also discussed some ideas about the ring in my recent videos on the "Journey Through Twin Peaks" thread. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about it - for one thing, as StealThisCorn notes, Teresa is not wearing it when she is killed; I think it's unlikely that the ring has any association with death except indirectly, inasmuch as it accompanies the wearer's knowledge of and power over Leland/Bob - particularly Leland as the plot's action unfolds. The Missing Pieces underscore this given how much emphasis Lynch places on Teresa playing with her ring as she calls to blackmail Leland. Later when the nurse takes it off Annie, as in Laura's dream Annie is relaying information that, essentially, tells us about Bob's whereabouts (since if the good Cooper is in the Lodge, the bad Cooper, likely with Bob, must be out in the world).

As for the surveillance camera, I get the sense with Lynch the psychological/aesthetic/emotional rationale comes first, and then later - if necessary - it's given a plot purpose. With Cooper and the surveillance camera I'm honestly not sure where it fits in any of those categories (except that is pretty cool aesthetically - I'm remember being really creeped out the first time I watched it). But it does provide an interesting parallel with Laura seeing herself in the picture later in the film.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Yes! It gets me every time. I always wonder if it's a coincidence. Or if there are no coincidences in David Lynch's world. Or if there are ONLY coincidences in David Lynch's world...
"Finally, does it matter what the cause?" -GB
"Yes. Because it's our job to [spot] it." -DC
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Jonah wrote:Any theories regarding the scene with Cooper checking the security camera repeatedly until he sees himself frozen on it? I always just assumed this bit was weirdness for the sake of being weird - i.e. no hidden meaning. But do you think it relates to a dream? Or to time slowing down because of Jefferies entrance?

There is a pretty extensive ring thread here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2664. Also discussed some ideas about the ring in my recent videos on the "Journey Through Twin Peaks" thread. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about it - for one thing, as StealThisCorn notes, Teresa is not wearing it when she is killed; I think it's unlikely that the ring has any association with death except indirectly, inasmuch as it accompanies the wearer's knowledge of and power over Leland/Bob - particularly Leland as the plot's action unfolds. The Missing Pieces underscore this given how much emphasis Lynch places on Teresa playing with her ring as she calls to blackmail Leland. Later when the nurse takes it off Annie, as in Laura's dream Annie is relaying information that, essentially, tells us about Bob's whereabouts (since if the good Cooper is in the Lodge, the bad Cooper, likely with Bob, must be out in the world).

As for the surveillance camera, I get the sense with Lynch the psychological/aesthetic/emotional rationale comes first, and then later - if necessary - it's given a plot purpose. With Cooper and the surveillance camera I'm honestly not sure where it fits in any of those categories (except that is pretty cool aesthetically - I'm remember being really creeped out the first time I watched it). But it does provide an interesting parallel with Laura seeing herself in the picture later in the film.
Thanks for the link to the ring thread! Will also check out the video(s).

Agree, the security camera bit was creepy - though I also think it was one of those moments (on first viewing) when I almost rolled my eyes. On first watch, I felt the film was trying to be too weird. It's grown on me since and I now love it, and find it an increasingly disturbing experience to watch (it didn't really affect me the first time many moons ago on VHS - I found it jarring and even a bit OTT). On subsequent rewatches, I expected the creepiness and disturbing aspects to decrease but it's been the complete opposite. A very carthartic film - I enjoy the first half, find it increasingly disturbing from that point on, and feel a huge amount of relief/sadness and almost joy by the end with the angel in the red room.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:P.S. When Cole asks in FWWM, "...where is Chester Desmond?", has anyone else noted that the figure approaching in the right-most video monitor appears to have a bearing very similar to Isaak/Desmond?
Yes! It gets me every time. I always wonder if it's a coincidence.
As it's the only movement in the shot, it seems improbable that it's a coincidence. In fact, DL seems to hold the otherwise static shot just long enough for us to notice. Then again, perhaps we're imagining things. Then again, our imagining things would likely appeal to Mr. Lynch a great deal.

Regardless, Lynch did suggest vicariously that "when two event occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

OK,Bob wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Yes! It gets me every time. I always wonder if it's a coincidence.
As it's the only movement in the shot, it seems improbable that it's a coincidence. In fact, DL seems to hold the otherwise static shot just long enough for us to notice. Then again, perhaps we're imagining things. Then again, our imagining things would likely appeal to Mr. Lynch a great deal.

Regardless, Lynch did suggest vicariously that "when two event occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention."
OMG - yes and yes! Just noticed that today on the latest rewatch of FWWM (first time watching on Blu-Ray). It does look a lot like Chet and while it's probably a coincidence, I do wonder... I like to think it's him returning (maybe a la Bowie-style) but that the film doesn't feel it's necessary to show us his reappearance.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jonah wrote:I like to think it's him returning (maybe a la Bowie-style) but that the film doesn't feel it's necessary to show us his reappearance.
I was just about to type a big theory about this haha but I thought twice about it. Maybe I should have. Short version: do we ever see Cooper reference Desmond's disappearance in the Sam Stanley or Carl Rodd scenes? Or does he just talk about what Desmond did? (Which would suggest Desmond is gone, since he can't tell Cooper himself.)

Of course this would be ridiculous storytelling but part of me thinks it would be kind of fun if Lynch ret-conned it that way in 2016. What? Chet Desmond? Disappeared for nearly 30 years? Oh no, he came back to headquarters minutes after that conversation about his disappearance. He never disappeared at all - his car broke down and he had to catch a bus back. I forgot to show you? My bad.

EDIT: While I don't actually believe the above, I do find it interesting that the film purposefully doesn't show Desmond disappearing - or actually touching the ring. In fact he goes out of his way to make a point out of not showing us these things. For the only time in the whole movie (and one of the only times I can think of Lynch using this technique, although maybe I'm just missing something) the frame freezes and fades to black.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Short version: do we ever see Cooper reference Desmond's disappearance in the Sam Stanley or Carl Rodd scenes? Or does he just talk about what Desmond did?
Cooper does dictate to Diane, "Not only has Agent Desmond disappeared without a trace..." :wink:
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Then again, Desmond might have gotten as far as the elevator in the Philly office before stepping out into Argentina.
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

OK,Bob wrote:Then again, Desmond might have gotten as far as the elevator in the Philly office before stepped out into Argentina.
That poor bellboy is going to need to buy diapers.