Rough/Blurry Footage and Differences (TV x DVD)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Rough/blurry scenes in the DVD sets

Post by qbin2001 »

D-13. [Episode 23] 45:58-46:11
- Josie face on the knob (recreated, little differences in Josie's framing)
D-13.jpg
D-13.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-13_original.jpg
D-13_original.jpg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-14. [Episode 25] 39:28-39:30
- FX: no flying owl (from left to right)
D-14.jpg
D-14.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-14_original.jpg
D-14_original.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
Last edited by qbin2001 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

D-15. [Episode 25] 39:41-39:43 [fixed: trailer]
- Orange light is missing
D-15.jpg
D-15.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-15_original.jpg
D-15_original.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-16. [Episode 25] 39:49-39:51
- Orange light is missing
D-16.jpg
D-16.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
D-16_oryginal.jpg
D-16_oryginal.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
Last edited by qbin2001 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

D-17. [Episode 27] 44:27-44:32
Traffic light in TV version waves and you can see paper blowing in the wind (another part of the take used).
D-17.JPG
D-17.JPG (33.83 KiB) Viewed 9875 times
D-17_original.JPG
D-17_original.JPG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 9875 times
=============================

And a little discovery...
[Episode 25] 43:07-43:09 - Annie's hand when Cooper sees her suicidal wound is static image (both in TV & restored version)
E-01.JPG
E-01.JPG (45.85 KiB) Viewed 9875 times
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Rough/Blurry Footage and Differences (TV x DVD)

Post by Ross »

Amazing job Q!! It will be really interesting to see what all they are able to fix/upgrade!

As for the still image, I noticed one of the establishing shots of the police station in one of the earlier episodes was a still frame as well. Not sure if it was like that in the broadcast version or not.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Is it just me, or does the scene in the pilot of Cooper interrogating Donna look somewhat grainy? I was watching it on Netflix and noticed it, and then checked the Gold Box version and it still seemed quite grainy. It's hard to notice it just by the picture; you really have to be watching the scene to see it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 7.45.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 7.45.17 PM.png (388.03 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

qbin, those pictures are wonderful!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

fearltd wrote:Is it just me, or does the scene in the pilot of Cooper interrogating Donna look somewhat grainy? I was watching it on Netflix and noticed it, and then checked the Gold Box version and it still seemed quite grainy. It's hard to notice it just by the picture; you really have to be watching the scene to see it.
There are many grainy scenes in Twin Peaks. Maybe it's the negatives they used?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

A few more:

Episode 29

- Flash of Windom's face in the Lodge

- Reverse shot of Windom stabbing Cooper (over imposed fire shot) - Couldn't find a screencap for that scene, sorry.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Can anybody tell me, how close are the laserdiscs to the broadcast version :?: Do they contain initial takes of the scenes and effects (like the ones mentioned here) without later alterations or some changes had been made already at the time when TP on laserdiscs was released?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

nemo wrote:Can anybody tell me, how close are the laserdiscs to the broadcast version :?: Do they contain initial takes of the scenes and effects (like the ones mentioned here) without later alterations or some changes had been made already at the time when TP on laserdiscs was released?
Can't tell you for sure nemo, as I never had a LD player. The only TP LDs I have are for collectible purposes.
But if you ask me, the LDs contain the original broadcast version, before the alterations (made for the DVD).
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
nemo wrote:Can anybody tell me, how close are the laserdiscs to the broadcast version :?: Do they contain initial takes of the scenes and effects (like the ones mentioned here) without later alterations or some changes had been made already at the time when TP on laserdiscs was released?
Can't tell you for sure nemo, as I never had a LD player. The only TP LDs I have are for collectible purposes.
But if you ask me, the LDs contain the original broadcast version, before the alterations (made for the DVD).
I haven't seen the LDs myself either. But I think Sam is correct here. I've heard they are the same as the original broadcasts.

It would be cool to see some comparisons one day of all the releases. Original broadcast, VHS releases, LDs, DVDs, itunes, blurays.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote: It would be cool to see some comparisons one day of all the releases. Original broadcast, VHS releases, LDs, DVDs, itunes, blurays.
I would love to see that as well :)
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

If all these changes were made due to remastering problems, I hope, that the new release will render the scenes as they originally looked (like BOB/Maddy scenes, Mike leaving the hospital scene etc.)
At least, as the promo indicates, one original element was returned to the upcoming release - the orange flash of light in the owl cave, which
is in my view a very important reference to the FIRE. If as stated the original negatives of the series were used for the remastering, it is a good sign indeed,
that we will be able to see a version, which is more or even completely true to original :)
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

List was updated.
The scenes that are fixed (100% sure) are marked with green font color now. The whole list will be updated probably next week.
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

Just finishing the laserdisc transfers with a pioneer ld-v8000 using fresh out of the packaging laserdiscs, and the results are incredible and surprisingly better than my expectations - alot o laserdiscs are highly player dependent as there are infinite variances amongst discs AND players, however these transfers appear at or better than the dvd counterparts and when i apply a 3d comb filter and sharpening ( built in to vlc player post processing effects ) i think im preferring the look, original coloring and style of the analog medium. I have the itunes and preordered the blu ray but there is something about the laserdisc quality .. If you can find a high quality player that does not have digital processing you will be surprised by the picture quality and the uncompressed audio quality .. I will add some screen shots, especially from the scenes in question