A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Re: A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

Post by marchug »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Not necessarily :)
I don't think all the deleted scenes will play out well inserted back in. Like I said above, in my opinion a few scenes look better in the original edit. That's one of them.
That's why I want to do my own edit.
I agree. I also found a few small scenes that were nice to see but are not really necessary. The Cooper/Diane scene for one. You can't even hear her voice! Hahahaaa.

Thanks for pointing out where that creepy Bobs voice/Laura's smile is supposed to go. I inserted where a shortened version of it happens in FWWM. I was bouncing back and forth between FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Started getting totally confused around that spot.

I am definitely going to try putting together my own edit. I will start with the Deer Meadow sequence and see how it turns out. Let me know of you get one together!
-23-
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

It's not easy I'll tell you. A few scenes with no music are extensions of others with music.
Others you have to fade out, fade in or blend fade one into another otherwise the cut will be too abrupt.
And the Cooper/Diane scene you mentioned, I'm thinking about leaving that out as well. I like the scene, but first we see Cooper all shiny and happy with Diane, next scene he's all serious and concerned talking to Gordon about his dream. Looks weird.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Going over the script for FWWM, it's interesting to see that originally the Philip Jeffries scenes took place after the movie jumped ahead one year as opposed to the same time Desmond disappeared. It also would negate the continuity error of Jeffries saying it's 1989. I don't know if it was filmed that way, but none of the scenes that would have placed it a year later are included in the Missing Pieces.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

fearltd wrote:Going over the script for FWWM, it's interesting to see that originally the Philip Jeffries scenes took place after the movie jumped ahead one year as opposed to the same time Desmond disappeared. It also would negate the continuity error of Jeffries saying it's 1989.
I'm pretty sure it was decided in the editing stage to move the Jeffries scene to the Teresa/Desmond/1988 stage, as the lines spoken about Desmond's disappearance are all offscreen and seem to be added in.
fearltd wrote:I don't know if it was filmed that way, but none of the scenes that would have placed it a year later are included in the Missing Pieces.
Right. In the script, the scene with Cooper and Diane continues to include lines about Desmond's disappearance. These aren't included in the missing pieces:

Cooper with a triumphant smile walks over to join Cole and Albert. But Cole’s stern look takes his smile away.

COOPER:
What is it, Gordon?

COLE:
COOP, AGENT CHET DESMOND HAS DISAPPEARED. GONE LIKE THE WIND IN DEER MEADOW.

So without these lines, making a fan edit will be tough. If you keep it where it is in the movie, it results in the "1989" continuity error. But if you try to place it a year later as in the script, you have no mention of Desmond's disappearance in 1989.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Ross wrote:
fearltd wrote:Going over the script for FWWM, it's interesting to see that originally the Philip Jeffries scenes took place after the movie jumped ahead one year as opposed to the same time Desmond disappeared. It also would negate the continuity error of Jeffries saying it's 1989.
I'm pretty sure it was decided in the editing stage to move the Jeffries scene to the Teresa/Desmond/1988 stage, as the lines spoken about Desmond's disappearance are all offscreen and seem to be added in.
fearltd wrote:I don't know if it was filmed that way, but none of the scenes that would have placed it a year later are included in the Missing Pieces.
Right. In the script, the scene with Cooper and Diane continues to include lines about Desmond's disappearance. These aren't included in the missing pieces:

Cooper with a triumphant smile walks over to join Cole and Albert. But Cole’s stern look takes his smile away.

COOPER:
What is it, Gordon?

COLE:
COOP, AGENT CHET DESMOND HAS DISAPPEARED. GONE LIKE THE WIND IN DEER MEADOW.

So without these lines, making a fan edit will be tough. If you keep it where it is in the movie, it results in the "1989" continuity error. But if you try to place it a year later as in the script, you have no mention of Desmond's disappearance in 1989.
I actually would have liked it if I could place the Jeffries scene a year later. It adds an interesting sequence of events of disappearing FBI Agents all within a year of each other.

Jeffries - disappears 1987, reappears 1989
Desmond - disappears 1988
Cooper - (sort of) disappears 1989

and going by this pattern, I wonder if Desmond and (good) Cooper would have reappeared in 1990 and 1991 respectively.

I'm thinking Lynch may have purposely not included any of the scenes like the one you mentioned so there wouldn't be any conflicting versions of the timeline, but I feel this one would have made a bit more sense.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:It's not easy I'll tell you. A few scenes with no music are extensions of others with music.
Others you have to fade out, fade in or blend fade one into another otherwise the cut will be too abrupt.
And the Cooper/Diane scene you mentioned, I'm thinking about leaving that out as well. I like the scene, but first we see Cooper all shiny and happy with Diane, next scene he's all serious and concerned talking to Gordon about his dream. Looks weird.
Yeah, I can imagine. I wonder if there are any establishing shots or wind in the trees and whatnot, that can help with abrupt cuts? I like the Diane/Cooper scene too but I couldn't figure out where it would fit without changing the feel of the film.
-23-
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote: If you keep it where it is in the movie, it results in the "1989" continuity error. But if you try to place it a year later as in the script, you have no mention of Desmond's disappearance in 1989.
Yes, but Jeffries only says "February 1989?"
It's never stated that's the date they're in. It could be he senses something will happen that date, like BOB will get another victim, so I guess that error looks better than omitting the news of Chet's disappearence.

We all have our own ideas of how a few scenes should play out, so that's why I think we all need to edit our personal FWWM version :lol:
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote: If you keep it where it is in the movie, it results in the "1989" continuity error. But if you try to place it a year later as in the script, you have no mention of Desmond's disappearance in 1989.
Albert's line in offscreen so it could be used that way right after Cooper + Diane scene (including Cooper's line). With maybe empty hallway in between to introduce music in the background?
Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Yes, but Jeffries only says "February 1989?"
It's never stated that's the date they're in.
Phillip looks at the opened Gordon's calendar (exactly as is in the script). So it is 1989.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote: Phillip looks at the opened Gordon's calendar (exactly as is in the script). So it is 1989.
It took me a second look to notice the calendar. Still, Gordon saying "Mayday" made Phillip think of May, so the open calendar can made him think of February 1989, even if it says February 1988 or any other date.
Still think it's better than omitting the news Chet disappeared :)
qbin2001 wrote: Albert's line in offscreen so it could be used that way right after Cooper + Diane scene (including Cooper's line). With maybe empty hallway in between to introduce music in the background?
That's one way to go, don't think it will look very good.
Let's see what Q2 will do with this scene. He's a wizard in editing. Couldn't tell the Blue Velvet extended edition was fan made.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Has Q2 suggested a timetable for his edit?
SonnyBaker

Post by SonnyBaker »

I believe Coop's last scene in The Black Lodge in The Missing Pieces is actually supposed to be the last scene before Laura's Angel. If you look at the crossfade between Laura's corpse in the theatrical cut and Coop's face in The Missing Pieces, they both lead into the same shot.

So the order of the ending should be:

218: The One-Armed Man runs toward the cabin. 219: Leland marches Laura & Ronette through the woods. 220-226: Leland takes the girls to the train car, while the One-Armed Man races to stop them. Leland kills Laura. 227: Leland lowers Laura into the river. 228-229: Leland enters Glastonbury Grove and then the Red Room. 230: Laura's corpse.

231-232: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 29: ANNIE ARRIVES AT THE HOSPITAL; COOPER IN THE BATHROOM; ANNIE AND THE NURSE.

236-237: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 30: COOPER IN THE RED ROOM.

238: Laura & Cooper in the Red Room. An Angel appears.
Are we falling in love?
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

SonnyBaker wrote:I believe Coop's last scene in The Black Lodge in The Missing Pieces is actually supposed to be the last scene before Laura's Angel. If you look at the crossfade between Laura's corpse in the theatrical cut and Coop's face in The Missing Pieces, they both lead into the same shot.

So the order of the ending should be:

218: The One-Armed Man runs toward the cabin. 219: Leland marches Laura & Ronette through the woods. 220-226: Leland takes the girls to the train car, while the One-Armed Man races to stop them. Leland kills Laura. 227: Leland lowers Laura into the river. 228-229: Leland enters Glastonbury Grove and then the Red Room. 230: Laura's corpse.

231-232: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 29: ANNIE ARRIVES AT THE HOSPITAL; COOPER IN THE BATHROOM; ANNIE AND THE NURSE.

236-237: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 30: COOPER IN THE RED ROOM.

238: Laura & Cooper in the Red Room. An Angel appears.

I like this. To be honest though, I am probably going to do a fan edit of the final episode and add the "several months later" stuff at the end. If i ever get through the Deer Meadow sequence first....
-23-
SonnyBaker

Post by SonnyBaker »

marchug wrote: I like this. To be honest though, I am probably going to do a fan edit of the final episode and add the "several months later" stuff at the end. If i ever get through the Deer Meadow sequence first....
I think someone should make a fan S03E01 using the "some months later" scenes, Coop's Black Lodge scenes, all the Norma/Ed/Nadine scenes, the sheriff's station scenes and maybe some deleted scenes from the series. Sure, we wouldn't have a resolution to several cliffhangers but it could work in a way. The deleted Norma/Ed/Nadine scenes can almost work as the aftermath of Nadine getting her memory back. The cliffhanger would be Annie in the hospital and the nurse taking her ring.
Are we falling in love?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Anyone knows where I can download this font for free?
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/dtptypes/n ... k-oblique/

Apparently is the closest font to FWWM
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Nevermind, I got Franklin Gothic Black Italic which served pretty well ;)