Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThatGumULike

Entire Mystery Blu Ray -- Questions About Defects

Post by ThatGumULike »

Two years ago, I pre-ordered the Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery Blu-Ray from Amazon and received it the day it came out. I watched And the Missing Pieces the night I received it and have watched that extra (along with some other extras, plus a few of my favorite scenes) since then. I've never sat down and watched the entire series on the Blu-Rays, though (if I've wanted to watch an episode, it's usually right before bed on my iPad via Netflix).

I've read some reviews on Amazon that indicate that the Blu Rays have some defects at various spots in the series. I do plan to watch the entire series and FWWM via Blu Ray at least once before the new season starts. Can anyone tell me specific parts of episodes that are known to have issues? I'd like to "pre check" these before starting the series so that I can request replacement discs if necessary.

Thanks!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Entire Mystery Blu Ray -- Questions About Defects

Post by Gabriel »

ThatGumULike wrote:Two years ago, I pre-ordered the Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery Blu-Ray from Amazon and received it the day it came out. I watched And the Missing Pieces the night I received it and have watched that extra (along with some other extras, plus a few of my favorite scenes) since then. I've never sat down and watched the entire series on the Blu-Rays, though (if I've wanted to watch an episode, it's usually right before bed on my iPad via Netflix).

I've read some reviews on Amazon that indicate that the Blu Rays have some defects at various spots in the series. I do plan to watch the entire series and FWWM via Blu Ray at least once before the new season starts. Can anyone tell me specific parts of episodes that are known to have issues? I'd like to "pre check" these before starting the series so that I can request replacement discs if necessary.

Thanks!
It's the reason I've not watched the Blu-Ray's more often. I mostly buy TV shows on iTunes now and might yet get the iTunes TP episodes in the run-up to the new series.
^◊^

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

Post by ^◊^ »

Had a Panasonic DMP-BD65 and it had the sync issues.

Acquired a Panasonic DMP-BD360 and now the sync is perfect.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

So I take it the audio-sync issue was never addressed by CBS and never fixed in later pressings of the discs?
intothewildwood

Post by intothewildwood »

I've read elsewhere (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 4&page=186) that even the new nine-disc re-release has the exact same pressings, so it looks very much like CBS has no intention of doing anything about the issue. My guess is that they probably decided it's a hardware problem and not a disc-related issue, since some setups don't have the problem at all. I'm not even sure they're wrong about this . . . I've run into similar issues with Netflix on my own system due to manufacturers improperly implementing the decoding standard for Dolby Digital Plus. In my case it was a Sony receiver, but other devices made by other manufacturers had the same problem.

After reading about the sync issues back when the set came out I decided not to buy it, but today when I found the nine-disc version on sale, I caved in and ordered that (Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces). If I do have the sync problems I'll report back on them.
intothewildwood

Post by intothewildwood »

I watched the Missing Pieces, and definitely noticed the sound issue during the lumber mill scene. I knew to watch for it there in particular, but it was obvious enough that I would've noticed it anyway. This is on the newer nine-disc version (which costs less but omits the final disc of special features).

I didn't notice any other sync issues at all. That one scene didn't give me the slightest impression of an incorrectly authored disc, or of hardware/settings problems. It looked to me as if the scene's ADR was never quite finished (it was a deleted scene, after all). I didn't see anything in The Missing Pieces to suggest audio sync issues in the blu-ray itself.

FWIW, though, I've got my sound routed through a co-axial digital output, as a workaround for my receiver's bad Dolby Plus decoding, which might make a difference. BD player is a Sony BDP-S390.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Completely unrelated to the Blu-Ray set but I'm honestly not sure where to put this - anyone know of a way to access the old Artisan episode commentaries for S1 as well as the possibly unreleased S2 ones? Asking for, uh, a friend.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

N. Needleman wrote:Completely unrelated to the Blu-Ray set but I'm honestly not sure where to put this - anyone know of a way to access the old Artisan episode commentaries for S1 as well as the possibly unreleased S2 ones? Asking for, uh, a friend.
I have both collections on DVD. It's been a while since I've extracted audio from a vob file but I can look into it. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Update:

Yesterday I replaced my Sony BDP-S5200 with a Sony BDP-S3700. After setting it up and disabling 24p, the Entire Mystery box plays 100% perfectly without audio sync issues. Even the 2 x 4 scene with Pete and Josie, which I could never get to play correctly on my older unit.
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

I realize posting this on a dormant thread is a long shot, but does anyone know if these sync issues are present on the "Television Collection " and/or "Z to A " box sets?
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Vier Sieben wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:42 am I realize posting this on a dormant thread is a long shot, but does anyone know if these sync issues are present on the "Television Collection " and/or "Z to A " box sets?
They are. But the same workarounds exist. I think it was never technically accepted as a flaw in the manufacturing of the disc since it played fine with a change of settings. For me, the original series ended up syncing fine when I changed the settings, but the 2 x 4 scene on Missing Pieces never quite did. And still doesn't on the new set.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Oh I just posted on the other thread. Didn't see this one. I'll try the fix mentioned above ASAP.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*