Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:I rippped both FWWM and the Missing Pieces to my computer as MKV files. And without the "fix" of turning off the 24fps option of my blu ray player, both are out of sync by about 200ms. So a lot of people have been complaining about the deleted scenes being out of sync, but the actual film is as well.
I always have my 24fps setting off and I noticed synch issues during at least one scene in the Missing Pieces.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Seeing how many seem to have audio issues, I'm glad I haven't yet found any. I have the Scandinavian box set.

By the way, one thing I hope there would've been in the deleted scenes, was Mrs. Tremond's "Why not be composed of materials and combinations of atoms?" line.
Maybe they didn't even film it.
I just always thought it was a great line ever since I first read the script back in the day.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:I rippped both FWWM and the Missing Pieces to my computer as MKV files. And without the "fix" of turning off the 24fps option of my blu ray player, both are out of sync by about 200ms. So a lot of people have been complaining about the deleted scenes being out of sync, but the actual film is as well.
Yes it is. I had to fix the audio of both torrent files I got (FWWM and Missing Pieces) to work on my extended version.
Ross, what player do you have? I'm trying to find this 24fps option on mine, no luck so far.
I went to Settings and under "TV Connection/Device" I went to "HDMI Connection" and there's a 24p exit that's disabled. Is that it?
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

Post by FauxOwl »

Hello,

Apologies for those who would like one for starting a new thread on this. I did not want to venture into the discussion threads since I haven't watched The Missing Pieces yet. I hope it's acceptable for there to be a separate tech thread that doesn't involve the actual content.

I've googled it and obviously others have had the same problem: The Missing Pieces has audio sync issues. Some have suggested there is a fix by setting video playback to automatic instead of 24p. My BR player doesn't seem to have that option. Others seem to be tolerating it feeling it's not so bad, but it's pretty bothersome to me... I've been waiting a long time to see this stuff. When I got the discs I was very busy and waited anxiously until I had time to devote to really sinking my teeth into this, and really, the sync issues are jamming my vibe.

What's the basic run down on what's up with this? Is there a setting fix that will work on most BR players? Or is it going to amount to getting replacement discs reissued? I'm willing to wait to get this right... even if it's incredibly frustrating.

Sorry if it's a faux pas starting a new thread... should the powers that be feel it necessary to delete this thread, I hope someone would be kind enough to PM me the gist of the fix on this issue.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by Jerry Horne »

It would be helpful if anyone who is having audio sync problems to state the model of your blu-Ray player. I haven't watched FWWM yet or any of the episodes, but I have seen sync issues with the deleted scenes from FWWM.

My player is an OPPO bdp-103.

There is clearly an issue in my opinion.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I've asked people on my Twitter feed to list players that are having issues:

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE Sony BDP-S185/BX18

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE I use a PS3 320GB.

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE Pioneer BDP-320

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE PS3 slim 320 gig

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE PS3

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE ps3

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE ps4.

@TwinPeaksArchve watched pilot and episode 1 - seemed out of sync with 7.1 but just fine with 2.0 original audio. (Samsung BD-C6500)

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE PS3.

Sony BDP-S480

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE NOT just the Missing Pieces. FWWM is out of sync as well. Plus at least part of episode 9 and "A Slice of Lynch" - Samsung

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE Toshiba BDX1200.

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE audio synch issues playing on Samsung BD-F5900

@TwinPeaksArchve @CBSHE Twin Peaks audio sync issues here…Sony BDP-s5100.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Wow, I'm guessing poster Jerry Horne, is the one to thank, but whomever did it, THANK YOU! Moving all the posts from the other thread into this one is more than I could have asked for! Excellent work!
Last edited by FauxOwl on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

No audio sync problems here (R2) on Missing Pieces but slight sync problems with one of the documentaries, not enough to bother me.
I've got a Samsung Blue-Ray player/writer playing through a laptop.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

I've got the sync problems on The Missing Pieces, especially the Pete and Josie scene. My player is a Sony BDP-S480.
Who should we contact about this?
This is clearly a major fault, and replacement discs should be provided.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Make sure and let CBS know you have issues:

https://www.facebook.com/cbshomeentertainment

Twitter - @CBSHE

I know Dugpa has let them know, but we need to speak up or nothing will happen.
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

I to have been experiencing out of sync deleted scenes as well. Not sure if it's because I bought it from familyvideo.com but I can say it can't be my equipment because I bought a brand new HDTV & Bluray for this once in a life time event.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I haven't gone through the whole set, so I don't know how much is affected. But in addition to disc 9 (the Missing Pieces AND FWWM), there are also sync issues with disc 3- the first part of episode 9 for sure (Cooper & Albert's barbershop breakfast thru the Ben & Jerry ledger scene), and also "A Slice of Lynch".

I have a Samsung player, and I will say that turning off the 24fps option does compensate for much of these (not sure how), but the sync issues are inherent to the discs themselves.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Still don't know how CBS could be so careless with this.
I should've waited for a second pressing or something. Since I'm importing this, it's gonna be a real hassle if I have to return and get another...
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I've edited my post with the model number. Apparently some Sony Blu-Ray players have issues syncing with television receivers, and the A/V Sync option is used to correct. So it seems to be a coincidence that it helps correct the problem on these TP Discs, which are inherent in the discs themselves. So the next question is, what is CBS doing about it? Will they correct it and issue replacements? I'm at least somewhat happy I can fix the problem even if it requires some slight rigmarole in setting the sync.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Jerry Horne wrote:Make sure and let CBS know you have issues:

https://www.facebook.com/cbshomeentertainment

Twitter - @CBSHE

I know Dugpa has let them know, but we need to speak up or nothing will happen.
Is there any way of contacting them without signing up for Facebook or Twitter?