Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Listed as "Item under review" on Amazon US. Maybe we're getting somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Entire ... re+mystery
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

C'mon CBS, do the right thing.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I would really hope they didnt blow off all the complaints, but amazon making this move should help. I hope.
philosofish

Post by philosofish »

I have not had any audio sync problems with the blu-ray set on my LG player. Lucky I guess. I did have a problem (I thought) with Disc 1 -- the intense "electrical" flashes during the dream sequence in Episode 2 were causing my player to shut off. At first I thought it was a problem with the disc, but then I tried unplugging the player from the power strip, which has a circuit breaker, and plugging it directly into the wall socket. Solved the problem. Those flashes are intense!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Did not want to return my set, but I am wary of getting stuck with a defective product. Will gladly repurchase this set when I hear that everything is fixed. I recommend everyone else returning it while they can and let CBS know they need to take care of their business and customers. blah.
cat butt

Post by cat butt »

I am very, very happy to finally have the deleted scenes and a definitive collection of Twin Peaks discs!!! I would like to thank everyone who pushed for years to get the deleted scenes released, you really were the impetus behind The Entire Mystery set. When I think of those scratchy lo-res black and white screenshots of Cable and Chris Isaak squaring off, or Big Ed and Norma sharing a moment in the truck, I will always feel some satisfaction that you succeeded in getting these scenes out to the rest of the fans. David Lynch might not have gone back to redo them if the fans hadn't asked for them repeatedly over the years, so thank you.

With that said, I put in the infamous audio sync (async?) disc and found that I have the same problems. I can live with it, I will just watch everything else but the mouths for now, there are plenty of other details to focus on after all. It is annoying for sure, but I'm still glad to see this material in amazing video quality!!! Since Amazon is now reviewing, and David Lynch and crew are perfectionists and love their fans, I'm sure the right thing will be done in time. Looking forward to the replacement disc(s), and until then the rest of the discs are working fine and will keep me more than occupied.

Edit: I will be posting my blu ray player model later to help in the quest to determine where the problem lies :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Definitely synch problems on some of the Log Lady intros as well. So is CBS going to address the audio issues? I love this set to pieces, and they obviously put a lot into it, but to not address that there are some problems isn't really right.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:Definitely synch problems on some of the Log Lady intros as well. So is CBS going to address the audio issues? I love this set to pieces, and they obviously put a lot into it, but to not address that there are some problems isn't really right.
I hate to say it, but this seems like the most problematic set ever.
It's like there's a new issue every day.
Amazon already stopped selling it, so I believe CBS must be looking into it.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Amazon already stopped selling it, so I believe CBS must be looking into it.
It's safe to say that when the internet's largest retailer stops selling your new premium item, you're going to look into it. Amazon is a place where consumers go to do things like check prices and read reviews of various items. When I say consumers, I don't mean Amazon customers alone, I mean consumers in general. This sort of situation is not only going to halt (non-marketplace) Amazon sales, it's going to hurt sales across the board.

I'm probably not alone in hoping that CBS is rewarded and encouraged by strong sales of this set. They pulled the financial trigger on having those deleted scenes released in finished form. While I'm certain that this was not done without a great deal of cajoling and negotiation, it DID happen.
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

Yes, is true. CBS is greatest company in world for make this happen. New Line is disgrace when it come to FWWM proper release. Artisan is too. I am lucky as my player have no problem with audio. Maybe hardware player problem for some models???
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

It's definitely odd that these issues do not affect everyone. I've only watched a few eps so far (mainly to check a disc that had glue residue on it), and they were fine. "The Missing Pieces" was a little off for me, but tolerable on the whole.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Asterisk wrote:It's definitely odd that these issues do not affect everyone. I've only watched a few eps so far (mainly to check a disc that had glue residue on it), and they were fine. "The Missing Pieces" was a little off for me, but tolerable on the whole.
Well- I THINK all the sets are the same. The thing is that I think different players and setups can adjust for, and compensate for the problem for the most part. For example, turning off the 24p option on mine goes a long way to fixing most of the problems. I'm not exactly sure how it works though.

BUT, I've ripped most of the discs to my computer as mkv files, which removes any "fixes" or player issues and just shows the files as they are on the discs. And there are definitely sync problems on pretty much everything that appears on discs 3 and 9.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Ross wrote:
Asterisk wrote:It's definitely odd that these issues do not affect everyone. I've only watched a few eps so far (mainly to check a disc that had glue residue on it), and they were fine. "The Missing Pieces" was a little off for me, but tolerable on the whole.
Well- I THINK all the sets are the same. The thing is that I think different players and setups can adjust for, and compensate for the problem for the most part. For example, turning off the 24p option on mine goes a long way to fixing most of the problems. I'm not exactly sure how it works though.

BUT, I've ripped most of the discs to my computer as mkv files, which removes any "fixes" or player issues and just shows the files as they are on the discs. And there are definitely sync problems on pretty much everything that appears on discs 3 and 9.
I see. Guess I'll check out disc 3 next...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The Digital Bits is reporting that CBS is finally "looking into" the sync problems...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Finally today, there’s apparently an audio sync issue of some kind that affects the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and The Missing Pieces in CBS’s Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery Blu-ray set. CBS is currently investigating. We’ll update you all further when CBS updates us.

Source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 90214_1400

I hope they'll investigate the whole set, not just FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Some people also reported sync issues on Episode 9 and in a few extra features.