Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Si78
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by Si78 »

Episode 17 won't play at all after the first act break. The player freezes and will skip around to some still or distorted images but never resumes play correctly. This happens on 2 different players. Sadly I think I'm past my return window. I guess I'll just watch 17 on Netflix. How annoying.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Si78 wrote:Episode 17 won't play at all after the first act break. The player freezes and will skip around to some still or distorted images but never resumes play correctly. This happens on 2 different players. Sadly I think I'm past my return window. I guess I'll just watch 17 on Netflix. How annoying.
|I would write to ask, if I were you. I think it's unrealistic to expect purchasers to watch 30-odd hours of a box set within a 30-day window or whatever it is. Sure, a 2-hour film, I understand, but a set like this requires far longer to get through.
Stu

Post by Stu »

xman wrote:But today I noticed that Amazon has them back in stock. I never heard a statement from CBS that they were reissuing these but clearly Amazon wouldn't want to go through this a second time, right? I am still worried about ordering it. Argh!
After reading this post I emailed Amazon to see if the problem is actually fixed or not. Here is their response:
Hello Stu,

Thanks for writing to us with your query. I'll be glad to assist you!

I wanted to let you know that the issue with the item "Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery" has now been resolved.

You're welcome to place an order for the item.

I hope this information helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Soooooo... apparently, it's resolved? Yet CBS never made an official statement on the matter? I'm skeptical. Really want to order it but might wait and see if someone can verify if this is true.

(PS Got here via google a few weeks back and have been following this thread... but apparently I already joined this forum in 2007? ...Hi)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

So, had no issues with disc 1.
Watching disc 2, on episode 4 I noticed a little bit of video lag on a few scenes.
Catherine and Ben at the Timber Falls Motel chatting in bed while she's giving him a massage and James seeing Maddy at the Double R for the first time, when she turns to the waitress to thank for her order.
Anyone had this too?
It's barely noticeable, didn't bother me, but it's there. I'll see if I can find something else.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

Wanted to add my 2 cents. I have watched the entire box set top to bottom and absolutely adore it.

No audio issues whatsoever. I am using BDP-BX110.

I've had sync issues before on my dads Blu-ray with other titles like Man of Steel and Avengers and was able to show him how to use the Audio sync to fix them. Has anyone tried that?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

lindseylee wrote:Wanted to add my 2 cents. I have watched the entire box set top to bottom and absolutely adore it.

No audio issues whatsoever. I am using BDP-BX110.

I've had sync issues before on my dads Blu-ray with other titles like Man of Steel and Avengers and was able to show him how to use the Audio sync to fix them. Has anyone tried that?
Did you purchase the item after Amazon relisted it?

The month long window (which I didn't even know existed) closed for my return to Amazon but I called their customer service line and they were nice enough to send me a replacement free of charge. It should arrive by Tuesday so I will report back soon!
xman
Roadhouse Member

Post by xman »

Stu wrote: Soooooo... apparently, it's resolved? Yet CBS never made an official statement on the matter? I'm skeptical. Really want to order it but might wait and see if someone can verify if this is true.
I have decided to go ahead and order it from Amazon this week. I will try my best to view the areas of 'known issues' and send along any news.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:So, had no issues with disc 1.
Watching disc 2, on episode 4 I noticed a little bit of video lag on a few scenes.
Catherine and Ben at the Timber Falls Motel chatting in bed while she's giving him a massage and James seeing Maddy at the Double R for the first time, when she turns to the waitress to thank for her order.
Anyone had this too?
It's barely noticeable, didn't bother me, but it's there. I'll see if I can find something else.
Just a quick update: I checked both scenes in the Gold Box and they show the same problem in the exact same places. So I assumed it had something to do with the masters, but this other user at Bluray.com said he couldn't notice a thing, so now I'm confused :p
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
xman
Roadhouse Member

Post by xman »

My DVD arrived today as two day shipping only took one-yay!

I jumped right to episode 9 for the breakfast scene with Agent Cooper and Albert. The footage was slightly out of synch with the audio. I stopped play and altered the settings for my PS3. Settings-->Video Settings-->1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI) changed from Automatic to Off. I restarted play and all was well. I then watched through the smoked cheese pig and all was well there too.

I just started FWWM and will post the results later for the basement scene.

My equipment: PS3 (circa 2008), Sony Bravia KDL46NX810, HDMI connection, no receiver.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

xman wrote:My DVD arrived today as two day shipping only took one-yay!

I jumped right to episode 9 for the breakfast scene with Agent Cooper and Albert. The footage was slightly out of synch with the audio. I stopped play and altered the settings for my PS3. Settings-->Video Settings-->1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI) changed from Automatic to Off. I restarted play and all was well. I then watched through the smoked cheese pig and all was well there too.

I just started FWWM and will post the results later for the basement scene.

My equipment: PS3 (circa 2008), Sony Bravia KDL46NX810, HDMI connection, no receiver.
That is not good to hear. :( I was hoping that the issues had been resolved. I am supposed to get my replacement today and was going to check in after work.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

It pains me to report that none of the issues were resolved. :cry: I think Amazon must have pulled it for actual physical damage to the cases, not the sync issues, and it was just a sad coincidence. Good thing is the sync issues aren't bad enough for me to want to pull my hair out and 120 milliseconds with my A/V sync on my player seemed to resolve it. I hope they reissue the set with the proper discs some day but today is not that day.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Meanwhile there is a one second glitch on the new Criterion Eraserhead and they promptly announce they will issue a replacement disc.

:!:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Unrelated question I had after receiving the second set:

How tight is the lid on everyone's copy? I am probably going to keep my first set as one of the disc sheets was halfway unglued and crooked in the second set and some of the disc flaps were crooked, causing the flaps to fall down very tightly/poorly. But I noticed the lid on my first one was definitely looser than the second one. The second one required a bit of push and pull to open/close and on the first set, the lid pretty much just falls down over the bottom of it.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks for reporting guys. So the problem is still present? That is a major bummer. I guess the response I got from Amazon (in my last post) in which they say the "issue has been resolved" was deliberately vague and had nothing to do with the specific audio problem I was asking them about. I wonder what the hell they were actually referring to haha. Sneaky.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Meanwhile there is a one second glitch on the new Criterion Eraserhead and they promptly announce they will issue a replacement disc.

:!:
That's exactly what should have happened with the dysfunctional blu-ray discs from the Twin Peaks box-set. I wonder why they couldn't solve the problem the same way as Criterion does with the Eraserhead disc.