Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by MysteryMan »

Over on Twitter, some people who got the set early have apparently reported out of synch audio issues with the FWWM deleted scenes. Can anyone confirm?
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

I bought the set in a store in Australia today and can confirm that the audio in the Missing Pieces is slightly out of sync with the video.

The audio is about a fraction of a second ahead. It could be a lot worse, but it's distracting and hard to believe given all the anticipation and hard work.

I've tried the disc in two different players with the same result. One Samsung, one Toshiba.

On the bright side, the image quality in the series and FWWM is astounding - far better than I expected it to be. I just wish I could keep watching the deleted scenes...
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I pre-ordered from amazon weeks ago, selected the "receive it the day it comes out" option. Amazon "gauranteed" that if have it tomorrow, yet my tracking number says to expect it on Thursday. Lame.

Could the audio sync issue be a PAL specific problem? Wouldn't there have been the same issues at the premiere in the theater that everyone is posting pictures from? Weird that it got vetted and approved that way.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Chareth wrote:I bought the set in a store in Australia today and can confirm that the audio in the Missing Pieces is slightly out of sync with the video.

The audio is about a fraction of a second ahead. It could be a lot worse, but it's distracting and hard to believe given all the anticipation and hard work.

I've tried the disc in two different players with the same result. One Samsung, one Toshiba.
That makes me so sad. :( I'm sorry.

So are there people on here who already received it, and whose Missing Pieces audio sync is not botched? Would be nice to hear that this is just a problem with a few sets and not all of them. According to USPS, mine is on a truck to be delivered today (one day early).
dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

Post by dugpa »

I've sent a note to CBS to look into this.

Just to note, here are my configurations:

PS3 - latest firmware
HDMI hooked directly to TV

I have not experienced any issues with audio sync on Missing Pieces and I've watched it at least 20 times.

After reading posts on various forums, many have fixed their sync issues. Below are suggestions I have collected from various sources:

1. Ensure that the Firmware of your Blu-ray is up to date. Those with Blu-ray players connected to the Internet should be able to easily update this going into your system settings.

2. Check how your Audio is being output in your Blu-ray settings. One person posted this:

On 'Screen Settings' change 'BD/DVD 1080/24p output' from 'Auto' to 'Off'.

Another person said that his issues went away by setting audio to "bitstream unprocessed"

3. If using analog cables, try outputting to HDMI.

Also this article may be of some help:

This article features some general tips on AV Sync

http://hometheater.about.com/od/homethe ... chtips.htm

If you are experiencing issues after checking the above, please capture the following:

1. Provide the make, manufacturer of your Blu-ray player AND date and version of your firmware.

2. Type of cables you are using to physically output your Audio. HDMI, Analog, Optical (a post on this page suggests that hooking up via HDMI should not give sync issues suggesting that analog might)

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-34 ... io-issues/

3. Confirm if you are using a Receiver or connecting directly to your TV. If using a receiver, confirm make and model.

4. Finally confirm what disc you are experiencing the issue on and note the exact time code and scene of the issue.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:I've sent a note to CBS to look into this. Just to note, on the version I have, there are no issues with audio sync and I've watched it at least 20 times.

I would highly recommend updating the firmware of your Blu-ray to make sure it is not a firmware issue. I've read about synch issues happening on various titles with older Blu-ray firmwares. I have a PS3 which allows me to automatically update to the latest firmware via the internet.

Anyone reporting issues, please provide the make and manufacturer of your Blu-ray player as well as firmware version. Thanks.
Thanks Dugpa! I've also heard of things like this happening because of firmware issues (on other discs). So hopefully the discs themselves are OK.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:I've sent a note to CBS to look into this. Just to note, on the version I have, there are no issues with audio sync and I've watched it at least 20 times.
Hey Dugpa, I know you are kind of laying low on everything until the set is released. But do you have a favorite scene from the missing pieces? Anything that was the most exciting for you to see?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Posted by a member over on blu-ray.com:
I'm halfway through watching The Missing Pieces now, and haven't spotted any syncing issues.

I don't think any US buyers (at the very least) should be concerned.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I live in Boston and mine arrived today from Amazon. I just finished watching Fire Walk With Me and then the Missing Pieces. Holy cow. What a day. I'm actually kind of all tingles right now, from head to toe.

There were definitely no audio syncing problems with the deleted scenes on my copy, thank God.

I just have to say, seeing this new transfer of Fire Walk With Me was... there are no words. I've been watching my original New Line DVD for so many years now, and today It was as if I was seeing the scenes in a very new way. In particular, the night scenes in Laura's bedroom (when Annie appears, and later before BOB climbs through the window). Same goes for the night scene of Laura and Bobby in the woods.

The Partyland scene -- the music came roaring out of my television. My god!

I am going to start looking at the special features now...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Methedrome wrote:Have just watched The Missing Pieces. Truly amazing and worth 22 years of waiting.
As much as I wished this footage was used back in '92, it is really so dreamlike more so now to watch this so many years later. Unbelievable.
No audio sync issues on yours Methedrome?
Guess a few sets will come with that issue, others won't...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Borrowed my co-worker's box set since mine still hasn't arrived. I did notice some very minor sync issues, especially in the Dell Mibbler/Pete/Josie scene, and a few others. Nothing that prevented me from enjoying it, but I did notice it was just a hair out of sync at times.

It's really something that they deleted that scene at the Haywards', given that Will's special message for Laura pretty much book ends with the appearance of the angel at the end of the film!

Love, love, love the new Ed/Norma stuff. I always forget just how f*cking amazing Peggy Lipton really is.

And that bit with Laura smiling at the fan is TERRIFYING.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Also some sync issues in the Laura/Bobby scene in Bobby's basement.

Funny how I'd never noticed until now that Dana Ashbrook was already well on his way to being a silver fox even way back in 1991!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

SBZ wrote:I didn't notice any sync issues with the deleted scenes on my set - watched on an (American) PS3.

The booklet that comes with the Japanese version is essentially just translations of the text from the trading cards (presumably the only easy way to provide those translations). I believe the Japanese Gold Box came with something similar? It also has a breakdown of the disc contents/special features, again translated into Japanese. I can provide some photos of this if there's any interest, but it's basically just a lot of Japanese text.
I personally would love to see those. I wish that t-shirt was sold separately :(
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I received mine today too and is it too much that the first thing I did was dance with it like Leland with Laura's graduation photo?? I'm really impressed with this release and finally feel like TP is getting its due! As someone who has seen FWWM on a 35mm print twice in past couple of years, I can say this is the closest the film has ever looked to it on home video release (New Line release had a blue, and MK2 release a green tint, this one, like the third bed, is just right). It's very grainy and kinda washed out, more in keeping with the pilot than the rest of the series. I'd suggest maybe turning down the brightness on your TV a bit and see how it looks for you. But it's sharper, and reds are handled much better than in the MK2 release. The deleted scenes are everything I could hope for, and no audio sync issues on my disc to report. They are shot and edited beautifully and I love them in this form, separated from the theatrical cut. I want to as well thank Dugpa, Jerry Horne, and all the awesome, amazing, brilliant people on this forum that I owe an enormous debt of gratitude at this moment!

Isn't there a smiley of dancing with joy?? Or at least like I'm at the Roadhouse? :P
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

So apparently a few boxes came with the audio defect and others didn't?
Jerry Horne wrote:If anyone is experiencing audio sync issues on your player (incl. PS3) disabling the 1080p/24 output setting should work. Someone on Twitter just confirmed to me that it did the trick.
Jerry, pardon my stupidity but how do I do that?