Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Murray
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by Murray »

In response to vicksvapor77, I contacted Amazon UK about my set and they just replied with this:

"Further to your e-mail, I'm sorry to hear about the continuing audio problem you've had with your Twin Peaks box set.
I can confirm that we did pull the product from sale, tests were conducted and the current stock has no issues.
Therefore, I have issued another replacement order for you with the delivery date on Monday."

I'll let you know on Monday how the new set works out.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Murray wrote:In response to vicksvapor77, I contacted Amazon UK about my set and they just replied with this:

"Further to your e-mail, I'm sorry to hear about the continuing audio problem you've had with your Twin Peaks box set.
I can confirm that we did pull the product from sale, tests were conducted and the current stock has no issues.
Therefore, I have issued another replacement order for you with the delivery date on Monday."

Thank you! At least they are consistent with the responses to both of us. Please let me know because I don't want to go through the hassle of returning all three sets if it's the same. :( I appreciate the feedback!
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I'm sorry to say I've just checked my new (and supposedly fixed) set and the audio sync issue is just the same.

Just as well we have other news today to tide us over. I'll contact Amazon (again) and see what they have to say. But this is really irritating since they assured me this specific problem had been fixed.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Mine was being prepared for shipment just now and I've requested a cancellation. We'll see what happens. I don't want to get stuck with another defective one.

They told me that the problem was fixed but that some people are still complaining.

Successfully canceled. I'll reorder once people write in this thread that it's safe to buy.

This really sucks because it's the only reason I bought a Blu-Ray player.
Itishappeningagain

Post by Itishappeningagain »

Hi, I just subscribed to this forum to follow news about this issue and share my experience.
I got my box by the end of August from amazon UK, and I noticed NO sync issues, but I'm displaying pictures at 720p instead of 1080p because my tv set is a hd-ready one. I don't know if this has something to do with the issue not showing up. I'm also using my player (PS3, with that option for 24hz@1080p set to AUTO) directly plugged to the tv via hdmi, so no surround/receiver involved.
I read somewhere that many noticed improvements with the receiver's audio codec set to PCM (or LPCM).
I hope this information are useful and please forgive my bad english.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Itishappeningagain wrote:Hi, I just subscribed to this forum to follow news about this issue and share my experience.
I got my box by the end of August from amazon UK, and I noticed NO sync issues, but I'm displaying pictures at 720p instead of 1080p because my tv set is a hd-ready one. I don't know if this has something to do with the issue not showing up. I'm also using my player (PS3, with that option for 24hz@1080p set to AUTO) directly plugged to the tv via hdmi, so no surround/receiver involved.
I read somewhere that many noticed improvements with the receiver's audio codec set to PCM (or LPCM).
I don't mean this to sound rude but perhaps you're just not noticing them? We are talking between 100-200 milliseconds here. Which spots did you check specifically?
Itishappeningagain

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Itishappeningagain wrote:Hi, I just subscribed to this forum to follow news about this issue and share my experience.
I don't mean this to sound rude but perhaps you're just not noticing them? We are talking between 100-200 milliseconds here. Which spots did you check specifically?
I watched all discs. I heard that the "smoked pig cheese" scene in episode 9 had a very noticeable sync issue, and FWWM and all "the missing pieces" had it too, for example I read somewhere that in the Cable-Desmond fight scene you could hear punches defenitely not paired with the pictures. I did notice, though, a very very slight lip-sync issue in the Josie-Pete scene, but it is really not that bad in the end.
Does sound go too early or too late? I'll check again if you'll point some specific scene.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Itishappeningagain wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
I watched all discs. I heard that the "smoked pig cheese" scene in episode 9 had a very noticeable sync issue, and FWWM and all "the missing pieces" had it too, for example I read somewhere that in the Cable-Desmond fight scene you could hear punches defenitely not paired with the pictures. I did notice, though, a very very slight lip-sync issue in the Josie-Pete scene, but it is really not that bad in the end.
Does sound go too early or too late? I'll check again if you'll point some specific scene.
That deleted scene is where it's most apparent IMO. Check the entire first act of episode 9, I noticed it in the scene between Cooper and Albert at breakfast.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

This whole sync issue is so frustrating. I mean they obviously put a lot of love and work into this set, and then to never even address the issue just isn't right.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:This whole sync issue is so frustrating. I mean they obviously put a lot of love and work into this set, and then to never even address the issue just isn't right.
Don't worry, 'The (Really we mean it this time) Entire Mystery' will be just fine.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Ross wrote:This whole sync issue is so frustrating. I mean they obviously put a lot of love and work into this set, and then to never even address the issue just isn't right.
Don't worry, 'The (Really we mean it this time) Entire Mystery' will be just fine.
Ain't that the truth. :x
Itishappeningagain

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Itishappeningagain wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
That deleted scene is where it's most apparent IMO. Check the entire first act of episode 9, I noticed it in the scene between Cooper and Albert at breakfast.
Checked again that episode, this time more carefully, and yes, the issue IS defenitely there. It is slight, though, so it is not completely ruining the show, but it is there. I read elsewhere that that episode had a very brutal out of sync issue, so maybe this is the reason why I didn't notice it at first, as I was expecting a disaster which it isn't; by saying so, however, I am not justifying CBS by any means. They should fix this.
I watched FWWM a few times and I didn't notice this sync issue, and I would say the same for the missing pieces (except for the Pete-Josie scene, where I noticed a slight out of sync).
I'll check FWWM again someday.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Murray wrote:In response to vicksvapor77, I contacted Amazon UK about my set and they just replied with this:

Were you able to get Amazon to help you anymore with your issues, Murray? Did you ream 'em out?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Okay so here is the latest news:

Amazon wants me to return my third copy and re-order it again. The agent insists the issues have been fixed. If they are not fixed, I am to provide comments on the specific issues with the discs that they can include on their form to the manufacturer and the item will be pulled again at that time.

Can everyone do me a favor and give me areas to check for? I know the main ones but I don't think I've paid attention to the issues with the special features outside of The Missing Pieces.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi guys. I bit the bullet and got a copy (Ordered from Amazon on 7th Oct, shipped on the 8th, received here on the 21st)

I've only checked the "smoked pig cheese" scene and a few of the FWWM deleted scenes so far, but I can't detect any sync issues at all. Seems perfect. Dunno if this is a factor but I'm watching it on the BD-ROM drive on my computer. It is an LG model: "HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12LS28 ATA Device" + I'm watching it through the "ArcSoft: Total Media Theater 6" program.

I re-watched the smoked pig cheese about 6 times under great scrutiny as I heard it is most noticeable there, but it seems fine to me. (I was watching quite closely - I even noticed at one point that someone bumps the camera making the shot wobble very momentarily hah.). The punch sound effects in the fist fight deleted scene seemed fine to me too (Some of the punch sound effects seemed a little hokey to me, but that has nothing to do with the syncing).

I'm still paranoid there might be problems somewhere I won't notice until months from now so if anyone has any other specific scenes/moments for me to check for sync issues feel free to let me know.