Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by FauxOwl »

I think it's apparent that the issue has to do with how the software on the discs is communicating with different devices and that only certain devices have the problem. This may be why it's been so difficult to diagnose... when Amazon has done their testing, are they using devices where there has been this communication problem? Probably not. And who knows if CBS Video has looked into it....
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

FauxOwl wrote:I think it's apparent that the issue has to do with how the software on the discs is communicating with different devices and that only certain devices have the problem. This may be why it's been so difficult to diagnose... when Amazon has done their testing, are they using devices where there has been this communication problem? Probably not. And who knows if CBS Video has looked into it....
What about taking a set that exhibits the issue and try playing it on a different player. That will tell you for sure if it is the disc or the player.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Stu wrote:Hi guys. I bit the bullet and got a copy (Ordered from Amazon on 7th Oct, shipped on the 8th, received here on the 21st)

I've only checked the "smoked pig cheese" scene and a few of the FWWM deleted scenes so far, but I can't detect any sync issues at all. Seems perfect. Dunno if this is a factor but I'm watching it on the BD-ROM drive on my computer. It is an LG model: "HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12LS28 ATA Device" + I'm watching it through the "ArcSoft: Total Media Theater 6" program.

I re-watched the smoked pig cheese about 6 times under great scrutiny as I heard it is most noticeable there, but it seems fine to me. (I was watching quite closely - I even noticed at one point that someone bumps the camera making the shot wobble very momentarily hah.). The punch sound effects in the fist fight deleted scene seemed fine to me too (Some of the punch sound effects seemed a little hokey to me, but that has nothing to do with the syncing).

I'm still paranoid there might be problems somewhere I won't notice until months from now so if anyone has any other specific scenes/moments for me to check for sync issues feel free to let me know.
The sync problem was very obvious and didn't need a close inspection to find, so it sounds like you're OK.
The worst bit by far on my discs was the 2x4 scene with Pete and Josie in The Missing Pieces.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

FauxOwl wrote:I think it's apparent that the issue has to do with how the software on the discs is communicating with different devices and that only certain devices have the problem. This may be why it's been so difficult to diagnose... when Amazon has done their testing, are they using devices where there has been this communication problem? Probably not. And who knows if CBS Video has looked into it....
That's my opinion too. But there must be some strange differences in the audio track - in other case, all audio in the episode would be shifted, not only part of it.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:
That's my opinion too. But there must be some strange differences in the audio track - in other case, all audio in the episode would be shifted, not only part of it.
Here's my 2 cents on this. In my opinion the sync issues are on the discs themselves. Meaning they are a manufacturing problem, not a software problem. However, some players and software have a way of compensating for the problem (I don't know how). By turning off the 24 fps second option, most of the problems can be fixed.

I ripped many of the discs to my computer, thus stripping and software fixes or issues and presenting them exactly as they are on the discs. And the errors are there. In fact, I would have believed what Qbin says above about ALL audio being shifted and not just certain scenes. Well, believe it or not, when you rip the discs, all audio IS shifted, not just those problems areas. I was surprised by this as well. So shifting the audio for the entire Missing Pieces (for instance) by 200ms fixes the entire audio. Its weird, but that's what I found.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Stu

Post by Stu »

Robin Davies wrote:The worst bit by far on my discs was the 2x4 scene with Pete and Josie in The Missing Pieces.
Checked this scene on my copy. Seems okay to me.
Ross wrote:I ripped many of the discs to my computer, thus stripping and software fixes or issues and presenting them exactly as they are on the discs. And the errors are there. In fact, I would have believed what Qbin says above about ALL audio being shifted and not just certain scenes. Well, believe it or not, when you rip the discs, all audio IS shifted, not just those problems areas. I was surprised by this as well. So shifting the audio for the entire Missing Pieces (for instance) by 200ms fixes the entire audio. Its weird, but that's what I found.
Out of curiosity I did the same thing. I encoded the file "00015.m2ts" on my copy of disc 3 (The first ~17 minutes of Episode 9) into an mp4 (I used the program "Handbrake" - mainly using the default settings because they seem okay). Maybe I'm crazy but the exported file seems fine, too.

I've uploaded it as an unlisted youtube video incase anyone else wants to check it. Hopefully youtube don't delete it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpTc0_crsw (Smoked cheese pig scene @ 14:13). Let me know if you think it seems off.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Stu wrote:
Robin Davies wrote:The worst bit by far on my discs was the 2x4 scene with Pete and Josie in The Missing Pieces.
Checked this scene on my copy. Seems okay to me.
Ross wrote:I ripped many of the discs to my computer, thus stripping and software fixes or issues and presenting them exactly as they are on the discs. And the errors are there. In fact, I would have believed what Qbin says above about ALL audio being shifted and not just certain scenes. Well, believe it or not, when you rip the discs, all audio IS shifted, not just those problems areas. I was surprised by this as well. So shifting the audio for the entire Missing Pieces (for instance) by 200ms fixes the entire audio. Its weird, but that's what I found.
Out of curiosity I did the same thing. I encoded the file "00015.m2ts" on my copy of disc 3 (The first ~17 minutes of Episode 9) into an mp4 (I used the program "Handbrake" - mainly using the default settings because they seem okay). Maybe I'm crazy but the exported file seems fine, too.

I've uploaded it as an unlisted youtube video incase anyone else wants to check it. Hopefully youtube don't delete it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpTc0_crsw (Smoked cheese pig scene @ 14:13). Let me know if you think it seems off.
Thanks for posting this! I'm even more confused now because the rip I made is definitely more out of sync than what you posted.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

So, it looks like the news of season 3 has all but stopped any discussion of the defective Blu-Ray box. I guess it's nice for the people who have no audio sync problem, but what about the rest of us?

I'm not really excited about anything to do with David Lynch anymore...First I bought several Lime Green sets only to be stuck with a defective Blue Velvet disc, now I can't watch the Twin Peaks Blu-Ray.
herofix

Post by herofix »

Diane wrote:I'm not really excited about anything to do with David Lynch anymore...First I bought several Lime Green sets only to be stuck with a defective Blue Velvet disc, now I can't watch the Twin Peaks Blu-Ray.
The two ideas don't seem connected. That's like saying I don't like Italians anymore because the Domino's guy took forever to deliver my pizza.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

It is an absolutely crummy situation. CBS, Lynch, and the set producers are all aware of this problem. Amazon even took it off the books for awhile and it came back with no fix. Absolutely shameful treatment of consumers, especially considering how long many of us waited for this. I returned mine and refuse to buy it again until everything is fixed.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Has CBS Video even acknowledged the issue? I managed to fix the issue on my player, and there may be some way to fix it on others, but we shouldn't be having to fix it at all, let alone figure out fixes by ourselves.
trollmanen

Post by trollmanen »

Seems like this thread is dying too. Any updates on recent copies purchased? I'd really like to get this for Christmas, and finally watch it, but I won't want to waste my money and time again. Hell, I'd even consider buying another blu-ray player if I have to just to watch this without issues.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Just for the record:
I bought this pre-release, and I watched the whole thing on my computer and I didn't notice any problems at all.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

trollmanen wrote:Seems like this thread is dying too. Any updates on recent copies purchased? I'd really like to get this for Christmas, and finally watch it, but I won't want to waste my money and time again. Hell, I'd even consider buying another blu-ray player if I have to just to watch this without issues.
I've seen others indicate they would buy a player to watch these without issue. Since the issue seems device specific, it might be useful to compile a list of devices where there is no problem and devices with the problem. I can start with mine:

Sony BDV-E3100 - The problem was there originally, but was permanently fixed without further issue (on any other disc) by adjusting the A/V Sync setting.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I switched off the 24p setting and that significant reduced the 'rubber lips' issue, but it really shouldn't be necessary. It's fine for me because I'm technical, but how are my elderly parents supposed to cope?