Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

trollmanen

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by trollmanen »

So is there a list of players that aren't effected? If I have to spend $100 for a new player that will play these correctly, then I will. I'm guessing at this point CBS isn't going to do anything about these issues, so it's up to us to figure out a work around.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

trollmanen wrote:So is there a list of players that aren't effected? If I have to spend $100 for a new player that will play these correctly, then I will. I'm guessing at this point CBS isn't going to do anything about these issues, so it's up to us to figure out a work around.
I'm not a techie so I can only offer a bit of advice from my own experience. Others may have different opinions.
Some of the comments on this thread suggest that the TV may also be part of the problem so you want to be sure that your particular TV + player combination will work.
If you're getting a new player I would recommend one with an A/V sync adjustment facility. I think most of the Sonys do, but you'd need to check up on this. This function may prove useful with other discs too.
I've noticed that sync problems can vary between different playbacks. Sometimes the fault on Twin Peaks is worse than on other occasions. I also had a problem with the documentary on The Day The Earth Caught Fire which I fixed by adjusting A/V sync but the next time I checked it out (after re-setting A/V sync to zero) the playback was fine!
I assume the A/V sync works by introducing a delay in the audio processing so the picture can "catch up" with the sound. Fortunately it doesn't push the correct parts of the disc out of sync!
Diane
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tecih threa

Post by Diane »

I have a new Sony TV and a new Sony Blu Ray player with A/V sync feature and I still can't correct the problem, so that advice is incorrect.
lindseylee

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tecih threa

Post by lindseylee »

Diane wrote:I have a new Sony TV and a new Sony Blu Ray player with A/V sync feature and I still can't correct the problem, so that advice is incorrect.
Where is the problem you are seeing? I've corrected many a Blu with A/V Sync but didn't have to do so on my player.

Perhaps try a friends player switch to a different audio channel or audio input. I've read that HDMI has less of a chance of sync issues whereas analog is more likely to have the issue.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I returned the box, but I encountered the error on several discs. I have an analog receiver with a digital to analog converter.
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

Diane wrote:I returned the box, but I encountered the error on several discs. I have an analog receiver with a digital to analog converter.
My father had issues using a D to A converter with several titles until he upgraded to a new 5.1 receiver.

I realize you no longer have it but I would highly suggest that you try plugging the Blu-ray player directly into your TV via HDMI cable.

It is probably the only way to isolate the problem and rule out the receiver.

Based on years of fiddling with mine, my boyfriends, and my fathers Blu players, each component (player, receiver, and even TV) plus the use of HDMI versus analog cables can produce different results.

Similar problems with my Six Feet Under box set and going from analog to HDMI direct fixed all audio issues. Could be why I'm no5 having issues with my set.
trollmanen

Post by trollmanen »

The issue I think you're talking about, when sending a blu ray to an analog receiver via audio cables, AND the video to your TV via HDMI, they're likely to get out of sync. I had that happen a lot when I first got a blu ray player and HDTV. Once I started just using the speakers on the TV and sending everything through the HDMI cable to the TV, I never had an issue with A/V sync again until this box set. If you want to use a receiver with surround sound, you have to get one with an HDMI input so the video runs through it to keep everything in sync.

Anyway, I'm really bummed out about this. I really want to get this box set again and finally watch everything, but not until I know I can play it properly.
trollmanen

Post by trollmanen »

I know I keep bumping this, but is this just an issue we have to accept? I just got a new copy from Amazon for my birthday, and the issues are still present (Laura/Bobby basement scene, fight seen both had issues still). It does seem like the audio is ahead of the picture, which could mean it's a video issue as someone pointed out earlier. I'm just surprised that people have essentially given up on this issue.
trollmanen

Post by trollmanen »

Not sure if this is affiliated with Dugpa or not (there's a lot of Twin Peaks related sites on Twitter), but this came through one of them today. It's a Google Doc where you can enter your bluray player info and what issues you have or not. The more people that fill this out, the better chance at maybe figuring something useful out.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TP1u0I ... w/viewform
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. :D

I purchased this set a couple of weeks ago and the audio-sync issue is most definitely apparent on my copy. I turned off the 1080p/24Hz option on my PS4, as some people have suggested online, and while there was some improved, it didn't fix it completely. This is really disappointing. I was hoping that the new BD prints would already be in circulation.
faroutsonoflung

Post by faroutsonoflung »

Hmm,

Not sure what is happening lately re: CBS, they STILL seem quiet on this! I ordered my boxset through Amazon UK (I live in Australia, went with UK because it was cheaper) but that was back in July 2014 so my return window is LONG since closed. Didn't know/think about there being a return window at the time. Dammit. But yeah....

I'm also experiencing audio sync issues on largely the same areas everyone's mentioned, Missing Pieces mainly, the Pete & Josie scene, Cooper in Diane's office, Bobby & Laura in the basement, etc.
The series seemed OK sync wise, but I'm just about to check Ep 9 again for the Barbershop Breakfast, will report back if I see anything there.
I did watch FWWM in its entirety the other day, trying to see if I noticed anything sync wise, but it looked fine (luckily, yikes). How awful for the poor folks with sync issues in FWWM! :cry:

The equipment I'm using has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but heregoes anyway:

Sony BDP-s5100(a/v sync setting just trialled which does seem to help a bit, I think between 80ms - 100ms range is best)
***still very annoyed that we even have to adjust anything at all***

I really hope CBS gets off their asses and does something about this.
While I value the Missing Pieces, and am grateful they have seen the light of day, this is still totally unacceptable for such an expensive boxset as many have said.

Luckily I held onto my original DVDs of both series & FWWM (the Aus edition of Series 1 & 2, similar or identical to the Artisan set I believe, but we were lucky enough to get the pilot included on that one, unlike those in the US). Has the same commentaries on S1 which are now, I believe, largely discontinued.

At the end of the day, I'm glad I have this blu ray boxset for both the international Pilot ep and the Missing Pieces, but for introducing someone new to the show, I think I'll stick with my DVDs thanks.
Reasons:
1. All fully SD so the effects shots that couldn't be remastered properly for their HD couterpart don't stand out so sorely like they do here;
2. Full frame instead of 4:3 = more cinematic. (i know i know, it was filmed in 4:3 for TV sets of the time. That doesn't mean it "looks" better from an aesthetic viewpoint, I personally think the full frame version is more absorbing. Plus it doesn't potentially damage your plasma, if you have one).
Also, why then, were the DVDs mastered in full screen instead of the OAR? Sorry, this question is OT I know, but if someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful.

3. Some better transition shots left intact, whereas timing etc was changed in some instances for Blu Ray version. - watch the Jacoby's eye/roulette wheel transition as an example.

I really, REALLY hope CBS issues replacement discs (or sets if possible, for those few users severely affected), that would be the most pain-free option I imagine.
But, given the delay up to this point, I remain doubtful.
Last edited by faroutsonoflung on Thu May 07, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

faroutsonoflung wrote:2. Full frame instead of 4:3 = more cinematic. (i know i know, it was filmed in 4:3 for TV sets of the time. That doesn't mean it "looks" better from an aesthetic viewpoint, I personally think the full frame version is more absorbing. Plus it doesn't potentially damage your plasma, if you have one).
Also, why then, were the DVDs mastered in full screen instead of the OAR? Sorry, this question is OT I know, but if someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful.
Wait- the Aus edition of the DVDs wasn't in the OAR? Is was widescreen? Are you sure?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
faroutsonoflung

Yep, I'm pretty sure.

But I get confused about whether there is a difference between "widescreen" (which makes me think of a typical movie presentation, with borders on top and bottom) vs FULL FRAME - which doesn't have such borders anywhere. Is that the only difference between them? The Aus DVDs are definitely listed as FULL FRAME. No mention of "widescreen" or any typical ratios listed on the box.

Maybe I can post a screenshot of the DVD or something as proof?

Sorry - still new to Dugpa, not sure what people do here yet when things like this come up :)
faroutsonoflung

UPDATE: re sync issues - just checked Disc 3, Episode 9, and the Barbershop Breakfast is definitely out of sync on my copy as well.

Bummer.
faroutsonoflung

Just remembered reading somewhere that the full frame editions of TP (ie Aus DVD sets and possibly others too), caused continuity problems due to them not looking at anything outside the 4:3 while filming (and understandably so).

Not that it caused many problems, I think the main one people reference is the "Andy with Glove" scene. The DVD, because it's full frame, shows the glove dropping to the ground after Andy flicks it and in the next shot it's suddenly on Lucy's window. The glove falling to floor part isn't visible on the blu ray, obviously because that portion of the screen ain't there...

Anyway, I've really hijacked this thread. Sorry. Please keep reporting any further issues everyone!

But it's still a mystery to me why they would take a (4:3?) VHS and not keep the OAR when making the DVD. I guess, like anything, you lose or gain something in the process and compromises have to be made while still adhering to the best standards available at the time.