Interview with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Interview with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I've just posted my conversation with Brad Dukes (known around these parts as commentator "brad_d"), author of the newly-published Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks. It's a great book full of fascinating anecdotes and insights into what made Twin Peaks' world spin. I describe some of these in the intro to the post, and then Brad and I discuss the various talents that went into the series, the network's perspective on it, the thinking and fallout behind the killer's reveal, Harley Peyton's role in running the show, the good and bad points of season two, and numerous other aspects of Twin Peaks, often expanding on what's in the book. Feel free to share further observations or insights after reading, here or on the post itself: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... ge-my.html
Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: Interview with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections

Post by Brad D »

Thanks Joel! "Always a pleasure."
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Copy came last night - I had to force myself to put it down...this is a great read...
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

It's a truly amazing book. Buy it now.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I am very, very happy to hear that! Tell your friends :D
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Loving reading it Brad! Love the Chapter headings - hardcore fans like us get them every time!
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Just read this interview - man, it sounds fascinating! Went straight on to amazon and bought it!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

sparco - that was quite a bit of fun coming up with those headings. hardest part was settling on them. and skawitch, i hope you enjoy - let me know what you think.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Getting through it!! Should have it finished by end of the week - just finished Box Set last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

Just read the interview. Great stuff! I really loved your book, Brad. So now I'm eagerly waiting for a second edition or (even better) a part 2!
Please don't wait another 25 years before you do it...
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I would say the likelihood of another is high. Not tomorrow, and not twenty five years:)
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I finished my copy last night and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Some absolutely fascinating behind-the-scenes stories and a great deal of refreshing candour. I genuinely think it's a very important document for the future. I posted a review on Amazon UK.

Brad, I liked that you touched on FWWM but I wondered if a follow-up book might delve into it more deeply?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Thanks Murray! It is very possible down the line, I think. :D
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I just listened to your interview with the Red Room Podcast about this book Brad, I will definitely be buying this book! One thing I was really curious about, does the book have interviews with anybody like Lenny Von Dohlen that reveal anything more about what Harold's character was intended to be or do? In the series it seems like they have to just scrap his whole plot line really quickly and I always felt like there was supposed to be more there originally.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

It's a very nice book, I am in the middle of reading it and have to remind myself only to read so much if at a time, so I can enjoy it for as long as possible.

I have just read the section about the various TP merchandise, and I wonder how they managed to do the 3 books so quickly that they still could benefit from the hype of season 1. After all, season 1 incl the pilot probably was shown within 2 months in its original run, and I understand that there was a rerun during the summer of 1990. Not sure how much of the hype carried over to season 2.

Does anyone know when the various authors (Jennifer, Mark, David) actually wrote the books and when they were first published?

I hope that there will be another book, Brad.