Interview with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Interview with Brad Dukes, author of Reflections

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Brad D wrote:If memory serves correct, Episode 23 was filmed early January 1991 and the series was done filming by mid-March. I don't think (aside from the holidays) there was ever a big break in filming and whether or not they aired, the remaining episodes were still going to be filmed. The ratings bottomed out and the airing hiatus was announced at the end of February... so they were pretty close to the production filming line anyway.
I noticed the script for ep. 29 is dated February '91 so that sounds right...meaning they shot the finale during the hiatus when it wasn't even certain if 23-29 would air let alone if there'd be a season 3. Which is certainly interesting. The episode may be written as a cliffhanger, but it plays like an elegy.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Finished the book Brad - Excellent! Easily one of my favourite Twin Peaks books and the one the fans have been waiting on for years!

You've been leading up to it with all the interviews you have had with the cast and crew over the last few years and very sweet timing having it coming out at the same time as the Blu Ray set.

The different chapters covered every character, plot, facet of the show, the mood when the show came out, along with a few great new stories noone has ever heard before! Dont want to mention them yet for spoilers but everythings covered in the lost in movies interview (also excellent)

Loved the stories about the second half of the second season, like you i started watching it early when it came out (11) the first ep i seen was actually episode 14, so i loved the detailed interviews on it - and it still ranks as one of my favourite hours of tv ever - nothings been that intense since. (and i still have a loving soft spot for even the latter Renault run)

Back on the series again after finishing the book as it's added another layer to the mythos with the excellent stories and anecdotes captured! And thanks for getting the copy to me just as i received the Blu Rays!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

When various episodes were shot

Just wanted to note I've been making way through the alt.tv.twin-peaks archives from when the show was on (I will probably round-up about 100 notable and/or representative messages as a follow-up to my media coverage post a while back). Found this interesting bit:

"I don't know how many episodes have been ordered, but Lara Flynn Boyle was on
David Letterman last night and she said that they've already finished filming
seven episodes."

This is from October 1, 1990. So it sounds like they were producing episodes about six weeks ahead of time which is a bit less than I thought. Also means that they were shooting the episodes resolving the investigation (and presumably writing the teleplays for the post-reveal episodes) at the same time the show's popular and critical tailspin was beginning. Not sure if that had any effect (they were pros after all) but I find it interesting for some reason.

On another note, someone mentioned recently that "J'ai un ame solitaire" (sp?) was not in Harold's note in the ep. 14 script but was added by Lynch. Which confuses me because it plays such a big role in resolving the mystery in ep. 16 (leading Donna back to the Tremonts' house and Laura's diary, which gives Cooper his penultimate clue). Yet ep. 16 had presumably been scripted and prepped for shooting by the time ep. 14 was shot. Which means a huge last-minute revision was made to one of the most important episodes, suggesting that its form was still somewhat amorphous at this late date. I know they supposedly had a timeline for season 2 hammered out in early summer but the more I learn about the behind-the-scenes of season 2, the more seat-of-their-pants it seems, and not just because of the Cooper/Audrey thing.

(Speaking of which - whose idea was it that Coop & Audrey couldn't talk any more if they weren't going to officially get together? I know MacLachlan nixed a consummation but theoretically his protective and rather tender feelings towards her could have continued and led to the originally-conceived Lodge denouement. Did the writers nix any further Cooper-Audrey storyline out of frustration that it couldn't go where they wanted it to, or was MacLachlan more explicit about wanting Coop & Audrey to go their separate ways than his latter-day "oh, I just didn't want him bedding an 18-year-old" excuse lets on? I know the scuttlebutt is that LFB forced him to refuse the story out of jealousy for Sherilyn Fenn, but the implication was always that he lied to the creators about his motives. If he lied, they still would've been able to keep an Audrey-Cooper flirtation/friendship going. I don't really think they should have slept together either, at least not in season 2...aside from the whole schoolgirlish thing, their chemistry thrived on sexual tension. I don't see why nixing a consummation should've ended their interaction altogether. If anything, Cooper's complicated, unresolved feelings for her could've added even more depth to a Lodge rescue.)
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script9.html
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script14.html

Correction: The scene is there but the way it was filmed is substantially different, as is ep. 29.
Last edited by Fernanda on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Fernanda wrote:http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script9.html
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script9.html

The whole Tremond scene wasn't in the ep.9 teleplay, but Harold's note was written in ep.14.
Ah, I see. That makes much more sense. Though I'm a bit surprised NONE of the Tremond scene was in there (I knew the creamed corn was added by Lynch). It never did seem very much like something Harley Peyton would write. I wonder when Jennifer Lynch wrote the Diary, since the Tremonds appear in it? I guess after July (or whenever ep. 9 was shot).
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Alt Twin Peaks is an excellent source for everything - I've always loved the Glastonbury Grove site as well - What makes the show so excellent at times was Lynch improvising on the spot - which for me added greatly to the Mythology & he references his bits well in FWWM - The Tremonds, Harold's Scene - The Convenience Store
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Brad, I just read your amazing book. I couldnt put it down. Blasted it in one day. The amount of detail that you gathered was simply extraordinary.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Loving this book. Filled in a lot of gaps for me and provided a much deeper insight into the whole show. Thanks BradD
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

thanks guys! really appreciate the kind words.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Brad D wrote:thanks guys! really appreciate the kind words.
Brad, the book is amazing! I'm in the 1/4. Brilliant! Thank you, thank you kindly!
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Just ordered on amazon...looking forward to it.
Need to order the Diary too. I had it once, but someone borrowed it and never returned it.
Oh, and Wrapped in Plastic too....
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Brad, are you planning to do the same with FWWM ?
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Auggeo wrote:Brad, are you planning to do the same with FWWM ?
Obviously i'm not speaking for Brad here, but during his appearance on the recent Red Room podcast, he made his feelings concerning FWWM quite clear!

Has your viewing of the missing pieces changed your mind any, Brad? :wink:
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

~
Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

hopesfall wrote:
Auggeo wrote:Brad, are you planning to do the same with FWWM ?
Obviously i'm not speaking for Brad here, but during his appearance on the recent Red Room podcast, he made his feelings concerning FWWM quite clear!

Has your viewing of the missing pieces changed your mind any, Brad? :wink:
Being able to finally see FWWM color corrected and as its intended to be seen on the blu Ray set made me feel quite differently. And I would also say The Missing Pieces gave me a different appreciation. Still a lot of cosmetic issues that bug me, but it is what it is. Now if they'd just fix the damn audio sync!! Argh!!