NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by ForKeeps »

Also, don't forget we may have as many as 20 hours in the new show if (big if) McRabb is right and it's a 2 hour premiere PLUS 18 episodes). As you know, the original episodes were not actually a full four, more like 45-50 minutes, plus the 90 min pilot and S2 premiere. I don't know what the actual runtime of the entire series is, including the pilot, but it's closer to 25 hours than 30. So it's not as big a difference as it may seem.

Either way it's not something to worry about, and in fact it's extremely exciting, I think!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I know this hasn't been discussed in a while, but is there any concern about the very large number of cast members for what looks to be an approximately 18 episode series? It looks like they are many more actors in 18 episodes than the original series had in 30 episodes.

It's hard to know what to make of it- maybe a large proportion of these roles are very small, and the number of actors with real substantive roles isn't all that much larger.

Or alternatively, maybe there are many, many subplots: Perhaps Agent Cooper chasing after the 'villian of the week'? If there are a lot of single episode story arcs, that could explain the large number of actors.
If the whole season was written as one long script without episode breaks, I doubt there will be a lot of single episode story arcs.
I thought the same thing too, but with so many cast members, my mind can't help but think that there are going to be more subplots than we expect, but that these subplots will all feed up to the main plot (s) in a much more perfect way than we've ever seen on television.

I can't just hear it now, with the same voiceover we used to hear on the 70s detective show "Barnaby Jones"-
'Tonight's special guest stars- Jennifer Jason Leigh and Richard Chamberlain starring in 'The Bank Robber's Wife'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

ForKeeps wrote:Also, don't forget we may have as many as 20 hours in the new show if (big if) McRabb is right and it's a 2 hour premiere PLUS 18 episodes). As you know, the original episodes were not actually a full four, more like 45-50 minutes, plus the 90 min pilot and S2 premiere. I don't know what the actual runtime of the entire series is, including the pilot, but it's closer to 25 hours than 30. So it's not as big a difference as it may seem.

Either way it's not something to worry about, and in fact it's extremely exciting, I think!
If there were anything to worry about, it would be just the scope of the project- writing, shooting and editing 'one big movie' and then cutting it into episodes.

Overall, I have confidence in Frost and Lynch. Lynch is '9 for 9' in making quality movies where he's had creative control. As far as T.V. shows, you could count On The Air as a failure, but that was a pure comedy, which I don't think is his strong point.

The only thing that gives me pause- that helps me tamper my expectation- is the fact that this is so gargantuan that it could end up being the Heaven's Gate of the T.V. world.

But I'm actually kind of cool with that- having one aspect of this production to keep my expectations a little low is a good thing.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Panapaok wrote:Yeah, it definitely looks like they're heading for a spring premiere. Hopefully they'll reveal the exact release date in the upcoming TCA event.
Hopefully!! March or April are very good dates!!
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Mordeen wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Probably, but I'm expecting something big to drop during the Holidays.

-Mordeen
Please don't let me get my hopes up.
It's safe to be hopeful.

CBS's New Years Eve broadcast is what my money is on. Another teaser. Announcing Spring 2017.

Then they'll drop the full trailer during the Superbowl and reveal the release date: 4/9/17.

They're gonna go big with their promotional placements but minimalist in content.

This is a prophecy.

Or I'm totally full of shit.

-Mordeen

Hopefully your predictions are rights!! Are very good!!
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

From forum.blu-ray.com about the new UK release of Mulholland Drive comes this tidbit:
Recently voted the best film of the 21st Century in a BBC Culture poll, MULHOLLAND DRIVE is essential viewing by one of the masters of contemporary American cinema. David Lynch’s scary and seductive vision of Hollywood is a true masterpiece, weaving together a tale of love, jealousy, and revenge like no other.

The new restoration of the 4k digital transfer, supervised by Lynch himself, will receive its UK premiere at Birmingham’s Flatpack Film Festival, which takes place April 4-9th 2017. More information on the festival can be found here.

The film will be then released by the ICO in cinemas on April 14th 2017, followed by a new special edition DVD, Blu-ray and EST release through Studiocanal on May 1st 2017, to coincide with the hotly anticipated return of David Lynch’s cult TV show TWIN PEAKS.

Beautiful, bizarre and strangely addictive, the film begins as a botched hit results in the meeting of brunette amnesiac Rita (Laura Harring – Love in the Time of Cholera) and blonde would-be Hollywood actress Betty (Naomi Watts – Birdman, 21 Grams). Taking the viewer ona memorable neo-noir trip through Hollywood’s dark underbelly, Lynch dispenses with a conventional narrative in favour of a hallucinogenic assault on the senses that will stay with you long after the credits roll.

Special features on the DVD and Blu-ray Special Editions TO BE ANNOUNCED
The Penny Dreadful premiere was on May 1st this year...
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

djerdap wrote:From forum.blu-ray.com about the new UK release of Mulholland Drive comes this tidbit:
Recently voted the best film of the 21st Century in a BBC Culture poll, MULHOLLAND DRIVE is essential viewing by one of the masters of contemporary American cinema. David Lynch’s scary and seductive vision of Hollywood is a true masterpiece, weaving together a tale of love, jealousy, and revenge like no other.

The new restoration of the 4k digital transfer, supervised by Lynch himself, will receive its UK premiere at Birmingham’s Flatpack Film Festival, which takes place April 4-9th 2017. More information on the festival can be found here.

The film will be then released by the ICO in cinemas on April 14th 2017, followed by a new special edition DVD, Blu-ray and EST release through Studiocanal on May 1st 2017, to coincide with the hotly anticipated return of David Lynch’s cult TV show TWIN PEAKS.

Beautiful, bizarre and strangely addictive, the film begins as a botched hit results in the meeting of brunette amnesiac Rita (Laura Harring – Love in the Time of Cholera) and blonde would-be Hollywood actress Betty (Naomi Watts – Birdman, 21 Grams). Taking the viewer ona memorable neo-noir trip through Hollywood’s dark underbelly, Lynch dispenses with a conventional narrative in favour of a hallucinogenic assault on the senses that will stay with you long after the credits roll.

May makes sense. Plenty of time for Lynch to finish post production.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:From forum.blu-ray.com about the new UK release of Mulholland Drive comes this tidbit:

:D
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Panapaok wrote:

May makes sense. Plenty of time for Lynch to finish post production.

Do you really think Lynch has not had enough post-production time? With the time that it takes, could perfectly leave the series in March or April.

I hope that on January 9th we can get out of doubt and showtime announce it already.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

For those who might have missed it:

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/s ... ans-171775
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

My guess is April 30th for the premiere, taking the spot of Penny Dreadful at Sunday evening. Possibly an earlier premiere date for the streaming online service. That's not that far away, given that the initial announcement was more than 2 years ago now...
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Of course, most fan trailers are pretty nonsensical, so is this one. However, I appreciated this one because it's a nice compilation of how we can expect the cast to look now that they're a bit older.

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

In another thread here someone is writing that they've worked in the industry (tv?) for 26 years and they know that the new show of Twin Peaks will be coming out in October. Is this true?
If this were the case, it would surely not help bring new viewers who might have seen the book come out in October this year - a whole year's wait is way too long in the world of tv and film. Also, why would they release trailers now for something coming out in a year like the recent one showing Cooper and Lynch et al?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

NormoftheAndes wrote:In another thread here someone is writing that they've worked in the industry (tv?) for 26 years and they know that the new show of Twin Peaks will be coming out in October. Is this true?
If this were the case, it would surely not help bring new viewers who might have seen the book come out in October this year - a whole year's wait is way too long in the world of tv and film. Also, why would they release trailers now for something coming out in a year like the recent one showing Cooper and Lynch et al?
That's not what he said. What he said was that some initial footage was due from Lynch to Showtime a couple of months ago, but still has never been presented so he's postulating maybe the show won't be ready until October.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I'd bet my house it will premiere before October.