NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Baxter

Post by NormoftheAndes »

It's going to be Lynch, Frost and so on material. It's a big project.

There certainly may be parts which remind people of Mulholland Dr. but like anything done by DL it will be its own thing. I'm sure it will of course be in many parts highly reminiscent of the first two seasons.

Someone could easily come along and look at it all and compare it all to Lost Highway or just a random film they like - House of Games by David Mamet - and find comparisons and similarities. Even a film having the same cinematographer doesn't mean that it will look the same as a previous one shot by him or her.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Metamorphia »

NormoftheAndes wrote:David Lynch is a great director, people can agree on that. But this new show isn't going to be solely his work. You'll have to bring to task Mark Frost, all of the editors, Peter Deming, the actors, Badalamenti and so on if it isn't something you really like. Lynch is a DIRECTOR - this does not mean he is the God of the production.
Well... while there are obvious collaborators and a bigger assortment of behind the scenes opinions, S3 will undoubtedly be Lynch's baby and he will to all intents and purposes be the 'god of production' as you put it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's pretty much his and Frost's show. Whatever they want to do is fine by me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

I'm really really curious to see how the people in here that keep the Lynch is God thought are gonna react if the new season turns out to be bad. If good critic sense will prevail over fanboyism
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Major Briggs wrote:I'm really really curious to see how the people in here that keep the Lynch is God thought are gonna react if the new season turns out to be bad. If good critic sense will prevail over fanboyism
I'm really really curious how you extrapolate "Lynch is God" and blind fanboyism from what people are saying here.

The fact is that this show is centrally his and Frost's brainchild, period. It's not like anything else on television, and Lynch's body of work is pretty familiar to most of us. It's divisive, it's messy, it's shocking, it's bewildering but it's David Lynch, and when you buy that ticket you understand that you take the ride, wherever it goes. That's why most of us, particularly those who are also fans of his films, are pretty chill about it.

We all know to expect the unexpected and that opinions may be divided. But a lot of of us don't care about that so much as the experience. People hated FWWM when it came out - so what? I loved it. Some people hate Inland Empire, I like it. There's other films of his I like less. Different strokes for different folks.

What exactly is it you're so annoyed about? Because it's very clear you are, and it's not our problem, it's yours.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:I'm really really curious to see how the people in here that keep the Lynch is God thought are gonna react if the new season turns out to be bad. If good critic sense will prevail over fanboyism
I'm really really curious how you extrapolate "Lynch is God" and blind fanboyism from what people are saying here.

The fact is that this show is centrally his and Frost's brainchild, period. It's not like anything else on television, and Lynch's body of work is pretty familiar to most of us. It's divisive, it's messy, it's shocking, it's bewildering but it's David Lynch, and when you buy that ticket you understand that you take the ride, wherever it goes. That's why most of us, particularly those who are also fans of his films, are pretty chill about it.

We all know to expect the unexpected and that opinions may be divided. But a lot of of us don't care about that so much as the experience. People hated FWWM when it came out - so what? I loved it. Some people hate Inland Empire, I like it. There's other films of his I like less. Different strokes for different folks.

What exactly is it you're so annoyed about? Because it's very clear you are, and it's not our problem, it's yours.
So you're gonna deny that there are folks who think Lynch directing it automatically makes it good?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I don't trust my own shadow when it comes to sequels or... new installments of various kinds. Putting the thing squarely in the hand of its creators is, imo, a necessary first step, but not a guarantee of quality
But I'd say that people who appreciate Lynch's more recent works, and of course TSHOTP, have good reasons to feel in good hands. Which doesn't mean certainty, just good odds. A Twin Peaks fan who thoroughly disliked all of Lynch's output past WaH and thumbed their nose at Frost's latest effort might feel, shall we say, less optimistic.
The interviews - especially Frost's, but the sentiment seems to be backed by various snippets from various actors - seem to point at a certain set of intents. People who like all this talk of Twin Peaks tackling reflection on mortality etc etc might reasonably raise their hopes, people who wanted TP to do something else entirely might do well to dash theirs.
The vague portents and omens mentioned in the spoiler thread also help. By no means a clear picture, but certainly a promising one as far as I'm concerned.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

In 1999, people also thought they'd be fine with the one and only George Lucas in charge of the new Star Wars
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Let's continue with respectful discussion focused on Season 3 Non Spoilers.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thread

Post by krishnanspace »

So what do you guys think, will we be getting a trailer for season 3 in Jan?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:So what do you guys think, will we be getting a trailer for season 3 in Jan?
Will we ever get a 'real' trailer, given how much the plot details are being hidden, or will we get more 'interview' trailers?

I really don't know, but I hope we do get a real bona fide trailer with footage from the series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

krishnanspace wrote:So what do you guys think, will we be getting a trailer for season 3 in Jan?
I'll predict that a teaser trailer will play on the 9th at the TCA's but won't be shown to the public until the TP marathon on Showtime 5 days later.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

CompletelySilent
Roadhouse Member

Post by CompletelySilent »

SOMEONE WRITE AN EPIC POEM MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE
Diane! I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I swear today I had a dream that said the teaser would be released today, thats why I asked about the teaser and it literally got released after 5 mins!!! What a coincidence or was it a vision?? :D