NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by djerdap »

David Locke wrote:1) I don't think we can take the color correction of this teaser to be representative of the series.

2) I love the warmth and "coziness" that most of the original series exudes with its welcoming earth tones and super-saturated reds and oranges, etc. But I also love the bizarre, green-inflected, sunlit darkness of FWWM which is more de-saturated and "colder," visually. Or even the comparatively "cold" look of the Pilot. In each case, the visual look was beautiful partly because it was completely fitting for the material. I trust Lynch to have concocted a visual (and aural) aesthetic for these new episodes which is likewise fitting and beautiful, regardless of whether it resembles the original series very much.

3) In fact, I would very much prefer that S3 didn't look just like the original series. I don't think it will just by virtue of Lynch's evolution as a filmmaker, but there's no reason to just copy and paste former glories. I suspect the new season will have similarities with the old look, but ultimately break new ground. Which is exactly how the season as a whole should be IMO -- something old and familiar/cozy mixed with something incredibly, uncannily new and strange. It doesn't have to reach FWWM levels of intentional subversion or whatever, but then again I suspect it will look and feel quite different from FWWM as well, that it may be closer to Mulholland Drive mixed with some of the insanity of Inland Empire than anything else.

4) After all, these episodes are merely the canvas on which Lynch is painting his newest work; his eccentricities and evolution as an artist will be what shapes the work, not some pre-conceived notions of how Twin Peaks is "supposed" to look. All great series evolve with time, anyway, often becoming visually (and thematically) darker, or just different. If we're to look at S1&2, FWWM and the new episodes as three different parts of the TP whole, then I don't see why the new episodes would be expected to revert to the style of how the work operated in the very beginning. It would be like if Season 6 of The Sopranos suddenly ditched its doom-laden, apocalyptic de-saturated palette for the brighter tones and mood of its Season 1 episodes. What's the point in going backwards, unless it actually has some solid narrative or thematic motivation?
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

I would also like to express my fondness for that particular post.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

mtsi wrote:I like the teaser with the FBI guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me Too¡
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Sidgwick wrote:I would also like to express my fondness for that particular post.
:lol:

The man never drank a Duff in his life...
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Has it been discussed that the airdate might be May? The recent press announcement of Mulholland Drives new UK BluRay coming out May 1st says it's coming out that day to coincide with the return of the series.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Yes the May rumor resurfaced just the other day. I think we should be expecting an announcement very soon.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Only a few months away but it feels like ages!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

rewak wrote:Has it been discussed that the airdate might be May? The recent press announcement of Mulholland Drives new UK BluRay coming out May 1st says it's coming out that day to coincide with the return of the series.
Yep, also that press announcement was discussed. So far there have been a couple of hints towards a may release, which is generally thought of as most plausible right now.

Proof so far:
-Nevins stated second quarter 2017
-MD bluray press announcement
-Sky Atlanta Italia says may

I'd be really happy if this board adds a countdown timer once we've got a confirmed date. :P
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mordeen wrote:Yes the May rumor resurfaced just the other day. I think we should be expecting an announcement very soon.

-Mordeen
I Have put all my expectations on the 9th January. I expect at least the reléase date.

On monday, swowtime begin issue the first two season of the series, maybe new teaser these day?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Yes the May rumor resurfaced just the other day. I think we should be expecting an announcement very soon.

-Mordeen
I Have put all my expectations on the 9th January. I expect at least the reléase date.

On monday, swowtime begin issue the first two season of the series, maybe new teaser these day?
Enough teasers, let's get a full blown trailer!

After all, Lynchmas comes only once every 25 years.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The new Alien film is getting a trailer tomorrow. I can't tell you how much it would thrill me to get one for TP. But I suspect there'll be nothing til maybe the TCAs.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Oh. I didn't know that. Now I am excited for Alien too!!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Doing searches for Twin Peaks across multiple platforms, I'm noticing that more and more entertainment news sites are mentioning the show, putting up "must see in 2017" lists, and whatnot. While I don't have the time for it, it would be neat if someone put up a news aggregate to showcase just how much Twin Peaks will saturate entertainment news from the run-up to the post-mortem of Season 3.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Is anyone going to miss the mini cliffhangers we had at every ad break?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

krishnanspace wrote:Oh. I didn't know that. Now I am excited for Alien too!!

Ugh, so bummed about the Alien trailer. Seriously thought the franchise would get back on track with Ridley back, but Prometheus was terrible, IMO, and the leaked Covenant plot seems to be verified by that trailer.
A salamander spit donuts.