NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Pöllö »

dronerstone wrote:
Pöllö wrote:I support the new policy. I don't know why anyone who cares about the series would be interested in spoilers.
I do respect it, but saying what you said seems a tad unreflected, right? There's ALWAYS more than one point of view or opinion on something. It's called pluralism.
Yes, that's what I was expressing - my opinion. To me it doesn't make sense to actively seek for spoilers that could spoil the whole show. Then again, maybe it's spoiled for me but for someone else it's not.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

The walls have ears!
I'll see you in the trees
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Pöllö wrote:
dronerstone wrote:
Pöllö wrote:I support the new policy. I don't know why anyone who cares about the series would be interested in spoilers.
I do respect it, but saying what you said seems a tad unreflected, right? There's ALWAYS more than one point of view or opinion on something. It's called pluralism.
Yes, that's what I was expressing - my opinion. To me it doesn't make sense to actively seek for spoilers that could spoil the whole show. Then again, maybe it's spoiled for me but for someone else it's not.
Totally fine! :)
That's why there were two threads before. Two worlds. Twin Peaks.

"Between two threads" after all? LOL
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

yes i read what i considered a pretty major spoiler on this thread the other day and was a little sad about it, so i am glad it was addressed. however, i can see where others might not have even thought it was important. considering how much info is out there it is understandable. there were also a couple of times, i accidently tapped on the spoiler thread when i meant to tap this one, so perhaps it will also save me from my own neanderthal brain/ fingers a little better.
next step: rocket science!
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Maybe not the best thread for this but considering its the non-specific thread I'll ask here.. what's the stance on official "spoilers" like referring to the released actor list in a speculative way. I know some like not even knowing who may appear in the show. Are we at that level of lockdown? What about presumably upcoming interviews or articles from cast n crew? Just asking about the lower limit, I understand specific plot points even if mentioned officially would constitute to a spoiler.

It looks clear that with teasers there will be separate threads but does that knowledge have to stay there or can we refer to it in discussion here? Again if they release a more traditional trailer I expect that to be a nogo in this thread.. or am I being too cautious?
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

My guess is, whatever is said officially or shown in a trailer is not considered a spoiler.
I'll see you in the trees
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

indyit wrote:Maybe not the best thread for this but considering its the non-specific thread I'll ask here.. what's the stance on official "spoilers" like referring to the released actor list in a speculative way. I know some like not even knowing who may appear in the show. Are we at that level of lockdown? What about presumably upcoming interviews or articles from cast n crew? Just asking about the lower limit, I understand specific plot points even if mentioned officially would constitute to a spoiler.

It looks clear that with teasers there will be separate threads but does that knowledge have to stay there or can we refer to it in discussion here? Again if they release a more traditional trailer I expect that to be a nogo in this thread.. or am I being too cautious?
Speculation on anything that Lynch or Showtime release publicly is fair game.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Great, thank you for the clarification!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

It's kind of funny thought-out now that we have a date set for the premiere, I have no desire for any spoilers.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:It's kind of funny thought-out now that we have a date set for the premiere, I have no desire for any spoilers.
I feel you there. For me, it's like a bubble of tension has been broken and we can finally kick back, relax and enjoy wherever this crazy dream is headed.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Is there some kind of trend on dugpa lately?Everyone has that Milf profile picture.Should i get one too? :D
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

I've read the spoiler thread more or less from start to finish and I could count the more "kind of real" spoilers I wish I haven't read about on max two, three fingers. And those things doesn't give me any real clue at all for what is coming, really.

Concerning the songs; I guess they aren't considered as spoilers but as guessed or confirmed songs to be used in some way in the new Twin Peaks? Or should I edit this post?.

Anyway, do you think Lynch/Frost are going to have a new song in the beginning or/and the end of every episode of the new series? Do you think Lynch have ordered some favorite artists to contribute songs he could have especially as opening/end credits music, selected as he like? I doubt it a little, because of the too orderly/too basic feeling i get from that, but it would get every episode more of a movie feel and every intro/outro credits sequence some originality. And at least it isn't a too far-fetched guess on how the new intro sequence could turn out, considering I don't think they will do something similar to the original one from S1-2. But if I'm even close to something that could be, I think pop songs would fit better at the end of an episode, rather than at the start.

I think it's more possible though, they will be used as short, non-diegetic overlays ("music that does not occur as part of the action, and cannot be heard by the film's characters") like "Wicked game" in Wild at Heart (maybe I remember it wrong here though), "Ghost of love" in Inland Empire, "This magic moment" or "Song to the siren" in Lost Highway or "Blue velvet" in Blue Velvet.

But honestly, Lynch DOESN'T really prefer to use pop songs as non-diegetic overlays. Counting out Badalamenti's more ambient film scores, he more often than not places the music - the pop songs, at the CENTER of the scene - ultra-diegetic (my definition); "In heaven" in Eraserhead, "In dreams" in Blue Velvet, "Just you and I" and "Sycamore trees" in Twin Peaks, "Fifteen reasons" and "Llroando" in Mulholland Drive, etc etc. He loves to make those more lyric-heavy songs a central part of the room they are filling.

Do you think most of the more lyric-heavy music of the new Twin Peaks will be performed diegetically, on radio, a jukebox or by the artists on a stage (or something like that)? Or will Frost/Lynch mainly use them as non-diegetic overlays? Sorry for my long ramblings, but I tend to be thinking what I'm writing, when I'm writing it. :?
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

The original series didn't have ANY non-diegetic music that wasn't composed by badalamenti, right? Non-badalamenti music (basically amounting to leland-associated showtunes/standards) was all diegetic. I can see lynch breaking with that for the new series tho
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I guess the obvious answer is that since the musicians are in the cast list, their songs will be performed by them on the show...
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Dalai Cooper wrote:The original series didn't have ANY non-diegetic music that wasn't composed by badalamenti, right? Non-badalamenti music (basically amounting to leland-associated showtunes/standards) was all diegetic. I can see lynch breaking with that for the new series tho
Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor in Episode 21 might be an exception. [If you include FWWM, "Best Friends" was written by Lynch & David Slusser.]
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne