NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Brad D »

The credits are a great mystery... part of me wants an updated version of what came before with Falling, but I have a hard time thinking that will open every part this time around. So many possibilities!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:A sentence struck me in my reread of MLMT today. For me, the biggest question of the new season is how Bob's possession of Dale will manifest (I expect it to be very different from the Leland possession, and very much related to Dale's specific dark side).
Well, again, according to Lynch BOB did not possess Dale; this is Cooper's doppleganger, his shadow self (which one would assume is still associated with a part of his own self), presumably in league with BOB.
Yeah, I should have caught myself using that phrasing. I've even posted the quote where Lynch says it's not possession. It's just an easy short-hand way to refer to what's happening.

The fact that it's not a straight-up possession is exactly why I feel it needs to be tied to Dale's dark side somehow in order for there to be any emotional stakes (just as I believe Leland's experience was driven by his attraction to Laura -- an attraction I don't think he would have acted on or even acknowledged without Bob's push, other than perhaps sleeping with young prostitues who reminded him of Laura). The problem is that it's so tough to conceptualize what Dale's dark side might be since he generally seems to be such an upstanding paragon of decency and kindness. I'm probably grasping at straws a bit with that quote, and I agree that your interpretation is equally valid, but it is an interesting tidbit (particularly in light of the dichotomy between Dale's seemingly boundless compassion and his Holmesian / Lynchian clinical curiosity about violence, corpses, etc.).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:A sentence struck me in my reread of MLMT today. For me, the biggest question of the new season is how Bob's possession of Dale will manifest (I expect it to be very different from the Leland possession, and very much related to Dale's specific dark side).
Well, again, according to Lynch BOB did not possess Dale; this is Cooper's doppleganger, his shadow self (which one would assume is still associated with a part of his own self), presumably in league with BOB.
Yeah, I should have caught myself using that phrasing. I've even posted the quote where Lynch says it's not possession. It's just an easy short-hand way to refer to what's happening.

The fact that it's not a straight-up possession is exactly why I feel it needs to be tied to Dale's dark side somehow in order for there to be any emotional stakes (just as I believe Leland's experience was driven by his attraction to Laura -- an attraction I don't think he would have acted on or even acknowledged without Bob's push, other than perhaps sleeping with young prostitues who reminded him of Laura). The problem is that it's so tough to conceptualize what Dale's dark side might be since he generally seems to be such an upstanding paragon of decency and kindness. I'm probably grasping at straws a bit with that quote, and I agree that your interpretation is equally valid, but it is an interesting tidbit (particularly in light of the dichotomy between Dale's seemingly boundless compassion and his Holmesian / Lynchian clinical curiosity about violence, corpses, etc.).
As to Dale's dark side, I think he really wanted Audrey "jail bait" Horne, badly. And maybe he was secretly 'getting off' on going through all those Flesh World mags :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

N. Needleman wrote:I am curious to see if shadings of the Coop in the pilot, who's a bit edgier in addition to his soft side, a bit more quick to make a colder joke to rile someone, may return in Season 3.
I love the Pilot Coop more with every viewing. That edge to his character was something I missed very much in later episodes.
I'll see you in the trees
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Rainwater wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I am curious to see if shadings of the Coop in the pilot, who's a bit edgier in addition to his soft side, a bit more quick to make a colder joke to rile someone, may return in Season 3.
I love the Pilot Coop more with every viewing. That edge to his character was something I missed very much in later episodes.
Agreed.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

djerdap wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Agreed.
Disagreed :-) I prefer the lighter Peyton-era Coop, that incredible disciplined, respectful and kindess in the face of overwhelming darkness somehow made for a more original and compelling character. I think you'll see a plenty edgy Cooper for your liking this season though.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I never saw the Pilot Coop as any different than the Series Coop.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

eyeboogers wrote:
djerdap wrote:
Rainwater wrote: I love the Pilot Coop more with every viewing. That edge to his character was something I missed very much in later episodes.
Agreed.
Disagreed :-) I prefer the lighter Peyton-era Coop, that incredible disciplined, respectful and kindess in the face of overwhelming darkness somehow made for a more original and compelling character. I think you'll see a plenty edgy Cooper for your liking this season though.
I like the Peyton-era one too, but he feels almost non-human due to his remarkable discipline and kindness.
The cow jumped over the moon.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Pilot Coop is fine, but he cmes across a tad more stiff in terms of acting and make-up, I think.
I enjoy the series Coop more, he's such a smooth/tight/positive character, always fascinated by all the little things. :) And an awesome agent.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

mtwentz wrote:I never saw the Pilot Coop as any different than the Series Coop.
He's more sarcastic and he's a bit colder, even more detached. For instance, he actually has to ask Truman to remind him of Laura Palmer's name, which would be unfathomable for his more caring (and more bland) appearance during post-Laura s2, where he would very likely never forget the name of a murdered victim, even if a case had only begun. He's also more authoritative, blunt and cocky, like in the Bobby Briggs interrogation sequence (among my favourite Cooper scenes). Like some have already said, there is more edge to him. But he does have that optimism and enthusiasm, which make him more layered and fascinating to watch. He definitely became more saintly and less eccentric in the lighter "Peyton-era", and I speculate that MacLachlan grew increasingly bored because of it.

The pilot persona does come back in the season 2 finale - the awkward grins and the edginess were back, and the episode is all the more powerful for it.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

IIRC it was Kyle who took credit for softening Coop slightly post-pilot. But I think the series Dale was, for most of the run, the vision the creators performed.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Pilot Dale also takes Harry aside at one point and gives him a stern(ish) lecture on how, as the FBI, he's the authority in the investigation and he's had local police/FBI conflicts before which he prefers to avoid. The conversation ends on a friendly note, but I kind of liked the idea that there would be the possibility of a little tension between the friends, especially when we see Truman so uncritical about Jose. Of course by the time that tension/conflict is explored after Jose's identity is revealed Pilot Coop is all but gone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That's standard procedure, though - I never saw that as him being cold or nasty to Harry. He was just stating jurisdiction firmly but politely. I also didn't think him asking Laura's name again was callous since he'd literally just arrived. It's other things I found a bit edgier or colder, like how he handled Bobby, etc.

We now know they had originally planned on a Coop/Josie/Harry triangle pre-series order, which would've made things very different.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I always enjoyed the small differences between the pilot Cooper and the series Cooper. If we take Deer Meadow as an example, the FBI wasn't welcome in many places. Cooper arrives in Twin Peaks and tries to establish himself as an authoritative figure. As the series progress, he gets to know the town and quickly falls in love with it and its citizens, thus he becomes more benevolent and kind.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Panapaok wrote:I always enjoyed the small differences between the pilot Cooper and the series Cooper. If we take Deer Meadow as an example, the FBI wasn't welcome in many places. Cooper arrives in Twin Peaks and tries to establish himself as an authoritative figure. As the series progress, he gets to know the town and quickly falls in love with it and its citizens, thus he becomes more benevolent and kind.
This. Always felt pretty natural to me. He was able to let his guard down a bit after realizing he'd found a Sheriff secure enough in himself to be cooperative and accommodating. I love the friendship between Coop and Harry, their almost immediate trust of and loyalty to each other.