NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by mtwentz »

marchug wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
marchug wrote:
That 'good reason' being to sell more Showtime subscriptions? It seems that they are only showing two episodes if you aren't subscribed (or like me - moved from the USA to Canada and haven't quite figured out how/what I am supposed to do). So that seems like there being a 'good reason' is pretty much the farthest thing from the real motivation. Sadly. :(
You can't watch any episodes if you're not subscribed.
Showtime does not exist in Canada. They've worked a deal out with Crave TV. So we will only be seeing the two episodes instead of 4 on the air date. Unless, apparently, I subscribe to their online site.
I don't think you can subscribe to Showtime outside the U.S. (it's possible that Canada is an exception to this rule).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

mtwentz wrote:
marchug wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Showtime does not exist in Canada. They've worked a deal out with Crave TV. So we will only be seeing the two episodes instead of 4 on the air date. Unless, apparently, I subscribe to their online site.
I don't think you can subscribe to Showtime outside the U.S. (it's possible that Canada is an exception to this rule).
I think you are right. I can't find any info on subscribing from Canada. :-/
-23-
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

We are technically not getting a 4 hour premiere. At least not anywhere but the United States. And even then you only get episode 3 & 4 if you are subscribed to Showtime's digital streaming service.

From Wired: "The series will premiere with a feature-length episode, immediately followed by episodes three and four on Showtime's digital streaming service. Afterwards, each episode will air weekly, at Lynch's insistence."
-23-
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

It's weird how they're calling the premiere a "feature length episode" yet referring to the next two after it as episodes 3 and 4. Another "pilot is essentially episode 1" debacle?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:It's weird how they're calling the premiere a "feature length episode" yet referring to the next two after it as episodes 3 and 4. Another "pilot is essentially episode 1" debacle?
Once again, to my knowledge it's only been officially referred to as hours, not episodes. At least initially. So the premiere is considered the first two hours, then we get the third and fourth hours. If that's how they'll officially refer to it, then there might not be such discrepancies about what constitutes the first episode. Thus is just my interpretation of the initial announcement, of course.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

marchug wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
marchug wrote:
That 'good reason' being to sell more Showtime subscriptions? It seems that they are only showing two episodes if you aren't subscribed (or like me - moved from the USA to Canada and haven't quite figured out how/what I am supposed to do). So that seems like there being a 'good reason' is pretty much the farthest thing from the real motivation. Sadly. :(
Oh my god - thanks for the heads up.
Guess I'll dig out the 'ole eyepatch. I'm not going to risk learning about plot developments from the internet or word of mouth!
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Private VPN is your answer. You can legally access Showtime this way. Don't steal this from the creators. They and us deserve better.
We live inside a dream.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I really wouldn't mind if there was a "summer break" and it resumed at some point in the autumn.
I'll see you in the trees
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

nonemoreblack wrote: We all know though that what happened to Annie was supposed to happen to Audrey.
Do we really? I know nothing of the sort. It's true that there've been reports in the years since the series went off the air about the intended pairing of Audrey and Cooper, but had they proceeded with that, who knows where they'd end up. The thing is, from what I gather about the whole Twin Peaks-making process of '89-'91, the showrunners and writers didn't have some master plan prepared for seasons in advance or even for a whole season - it's been said numerous times that, after the initial board was set by the pilot, they improvised and made things up as they went along. It's not even entirely clear if LP's killer's identity was indeed known to Lynch & Frost from day one. Therefore, who's to tell how long they've known Annie would unwillingly help Cooper's nemesis to open the portal to the Black Lodge and Cooper would wind up with Bob? Maybe 2-3 episodes before the finale, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

nonemoreblack wrote:I don't think we can comment on Audrey's ultimate importance until we see her role in season 3.
That I can agree with. I was commenting on what went on in the original series, and going from that, Audrey just isn't as fateful a figure in Coop's life as Annie. Yes, the show toyed with her maybe becoming such, but in the end, it didn't happen.
nonemoreblack wrote:Cooper never fooled around with a high-schooler. Although there was amazing tension between Cooper and Audrey, what made their relationship stand out was the fact that they let their guards down and got to know each other on a deeper level. It was genuinely sweet how much they cared about each other. Cooper gave a whole speech about how Audrey needed a friend, he didn't want to take advantage of her, and he didn't want to put her in danger. All of that goes out the window with Annie even though she's clearly vulnerable and Windom Earle is an obvious threat.

You're forgetting that Annie was quite a few years older than Audrey, enough so that she went as an adult, which is far more than we can say for Audrey. So, there is a certain logic in Cooper resisting one romance but embracing another, hearkening back to the speech he gives Audrey (about certain values he swore to uphold) when he finds her in his bed. Moreover, even though the derailment of Audrey-Coop romance supposedly stemmed from such preposterous real-life trivia as LFB getting MacLachlan to put the kibosh on it, I think the way it was handled on the show was quite professional and artistically integral, not only without threatening the believability of the characters but actually reinforcing it (especially the main character's).
nonemoreblack wrote:What would've made more sense would be if Cooper had become Audrey's mentor, the tension remained, and he struggled to keep her at a distance.
I agree the situation where Audrey's life would be threatened by Earle while her maintaining very warm friendship with Cooper who would struggle with his feelings towards her would be especially zesty and interesting to see - it would pose a double predicament for our hero. Well, it remains to be seen if any of this will be touched upon by the upcoming season.
Last edited by Agent Earle on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I feel like it would be strange (though not necessarily unwelcome) if the new season were to put Audrey and Coop back together, or give them some sort of significant relationship/friendship. Perhaps if only because of how bizarre their last scenes together in S2 were, and how bizarre it was the way the writers acted like the two had restraining orders out on each other after Episode 17 (or 19).

Also, I would only want them to bring back the Audrey-Coop dynamic if it was actually still compelling. Otherwise it'd just feel like the kind of cozily nostalgic reviving of past glories that I expect the new season to be precisely the exact opposite of.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

marchug wrote:We are technically not getting a 4 hour premiere. At least not anywhere but the United States. And even then you only get episode 3 & 4 if you are subscribed to Showtime's digital streaming service.
This is not true. They will also be available On Demand if you're signed up through your cable provider. Basically, if you're paying money for Showtime, you will be able to watch 3 and 4 on the 21st.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I think they had free reins with Coop's ties with the townsfolk this time round. Couple of actors who declined the part notwithstanding maybe, but other than that, we're getting their present view. And then we'll be free to disagree with it, of course, but it's probably gonna be a clearer view than the current hodgepodge of "but at this point so and so left and then the actor..." guesswork.

Weaving together a new chunk of the lives of all these characters must've been a headache for the ages, with, I suspect, many conflicting necessities. But I imagine that ties to the protagonist took priority. New ties, bittersweet rekindled ties, ties that never went away. They can say that character A still holds a torch for him, while character B moved on three months later, or the other way around, and if they do the necessary groundwork both options are gonna feel just as plausible, there's nothing fixed at this point and so they can do whatever they prioritized.
If they felt that the right thing for Coop was to hitch up with Big Ed, or Sarah, or to join Lucy's knitting club, so be it...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

And wasn't a large part written/decided pretty spontaneously way back when?
This time I figure they had it all laid out beforehand, probably with the usual Lynch esque little changes that are made on the spot.

We'll see how that plays out...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

There would have been a problem of redundancy with Audrey, instead of Annie, being kidnapped by Earle- Coop had already rescued Audrey from being kidnapped in the first half of Season 1. Which is one problem I always had with the Windom Earle storyline initially- it threatened to parrot the Jean Renault storyline. I think that's ultimately why the writers had Leo Johnson as the kidnap victim and slave- it was different enough that most of the audience would not not notice that they had just been through a 'bad guy holds Twin Peaks resident hostage' storyline.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

ForKeeps wrote:
marchug wrote:We are technically not getting a 4 hour premiere. At least not anywhere but the United States. And even then you only get episode 3 & 4 if you are subscribed to Showtime's digital streaming service.
This is not true. They will also be available On Demand if you're signed up through your cable provider. Basically, if you're paying money for Showtime, you will be able to watch 3 and 4 on the 21st.
Yeah, the above is a point that people need to understand clearly.

If that quote from Wired is contextually accurate than they're doing people a huge disservice by representing the broadcast availability of 3 & 4 as digital streaming only.

Meanwhile, I wonder how well the On Demand / Streaming systems will handle the volume that night. It's a potentially huge number of people simultaneously. I'd hate to be in the "middle" of my viewing party only for the servers to overload.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .