NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

The famous pic of Laura remains front and center for S3. And of course that means one of the only two pieces of key promotional art uses an image from the old show!

Hoping we get more character posters like these for some of the other characters, but they might stick to Cooper and Laura.

I think we can all assume Laura Palmer remains a key figure, in however a way, in S3. Who knows, maybe finding that Laura element was even more key for Lynch than solving the Cooper question?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Jerry Horne wrote:Posters will be available for purchase soon.
I'm getting that Laura poster. First thing I've bought so far.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Ross wrote:The famous pic of Laura remains front and center for S3. And of course that means one of the only two pieces of key promotional art uses an image from the old show!
Yes - I get to update my late night drunken rant that I've been giving to friends! Nothing but the sign and Laura. I'm not bitter! :lol:
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:The famous pic of Laura remains front and center for S3. And of course that means one of the only two pieces of key promotional art uses an image from the old show!

Hoping we get more character posters like these for some of the other characters, but they might stick to Cooper and Laura.

I think we can all assume Laura Palmer remains a key figure, in however a way, in S3. Who knows, maybe finding that Laura element was even more key for Lynch than solving the Cooper question?
I really REALLY hope you're right. My only concern is that they keep using Laura's image just because she's "the face of the show", like in S2 when they kept the prom picture during the end credits even when the show wasn't about Laura anymore.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Posters on sale now. Use code BUTTON at checkout for gift.

http://store.sho.com/new-arrivals/index ... w+Arrivals
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

I like these posters much better than the fan made/unofficial promo images that have been circulating around the internet within the last year or so. The updated Twin Peaks font–like it as well! Very striking. I'm curious as to if the lettering will stay like this going forward in relation to new media.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I'm sorry but $40 dollars per poster after shipping is (lost)highway robbery. I just can't justify those prices .. as much as I want them .. sigh.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mistertom wrote:I'm sorry but $40 dollars per poster after shipping is (lost)highway robbery. I just can't justify those prices .. as much as I want them .. sigh.
Yeah- I have to agree the price is really steep for a poster.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I'm .. I'm not super crazy about the posters to be honest.

I like the idea behind it, but, they over did the opacity to the point where the whole thing just looks a bit like a visual mess to me. Doesn't feel like there was a whole lot of thought to the placement of photos or the amount of transparency put to individual parts of the face (like .. it looks just dropped on and set to 50% on a photoshop layer).

Still love the key art they did of the falls (though, looking through the Twin Peaks Facebook page, I can't even find it .. so, maybe I'm confusing fan-art for official art).
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

The prices are a bit much for the posters. But as for myself, I know that I won't have any interest in the Funko items, action figures, etc. that are coming out, so I just try to pick and choose wisely/ hold out for things that I'll really treasure. I'd rather have something like a vinyl record or a nice poster as opposed to an action figure. I purchased the Laura poster– know I will love and cherish it! The new Fire Walk with Me vinyl came in the mail recently too, and it is beautiful.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I think the posters are cool, but Showtime didn't need to create two new "teasers". :roll:
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Seeing so much of Laura in the promotional material reminds me of that line of Windom Earle's that 'none of them are dead,' or words to that effect before he enters the Black Lodge – I'm rewatching the show at the moment, so can't remember the exact line. It might hint at how some of the announced actors and actresses can be in the new show presumably looking older – I'm guessing there isn't the budget to go all 'Grand Moff Tarkin' on characters.

I remember wondering back when the new show was announced whether they'd rework the 25 years later red room scene by using a bit of CGI and restaging so Kyle and Sheryl can look like they do now and TLMFAP can be taken from their original version of the scene.

Regardless, each new announcement brings a new sense of anticipation. Sorry to hear the posters are so darn expensive. Getting them over to the UK would cripple me. I always wanted the FWWM poster but they never issued it over here.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

I really wanted to love the posters but I miss the green iconic writing and for some reason they just don't do it for me. I'm waiting for that one thing I just have to have that would justify the UK shipping.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

One thing that has been consistent through all the teasers is the hint of a sepia tone. This feels rustic. The shot of Lynch eating the donut, the shot of Laura's portrait, these posters. Even the font color now set in red. I'm betting on a tone and color palette that reminds one of old Rockwell posters and those movies from the late 40s and 50s that were washed in earthy tones and sepia tints.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Dead Dog wrote:One thing that has been consistent through all the teasers is the hint of a sepia tone. This feels rustic. The shot of Lynch eating the donut, the shot of Laura's portrait, these posters. Even the font color now set in red. I'm betting on a tone and color palette that reminds one of old Rockwell posters and those movies from the late 40s and 50s that were washed in earthy tones and sepia tints.
I am pretty excited to see what they do with the colouring on the series. Technology in that arena has advanced so far. They're going to have a ton of control because of digital post-production (them shooting digital is irrelevant though, given that films use a digital intermediate these days for post anyway), in a way they didn't have with the original series (in terms of nuance .. there's plenty you can do with colouring pre-digital, it's just far more time consuming, especially when it comes to affecting individual aspects of the frame).