NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Gabriel »

mtwentz wrote:I do not remember what Kyle said exactly about the ending- I would not be surprised if the ending was kept, even from him. These things are generally on a 'need to know basis'.

Has there ever been a T.V. show with this much secrecy? I remember Stanley Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut' was filmed in complete secrecy, but that was a movie for cinematic release.
Interestingly, parts of Eyes Wide Shut remind me of the orgy scenes in Laura's secret diary. I always imagined something like that going on in the town when watching the show.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

laughingpinecone wrote: - Her time on set made her figure out that MacLachlan is the protagonist. Shared scenes...?
So, 'Good Coop...' not 'BOB Coop?' :D

I can't imagine a villain being the lead for 18 episodes.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

mtwentz wrote:I do not remember what Kyle said exactly about the ending- I would not be surprised if the ending was kept, even from him. These things are generally on a 'need to know basis'.

Has there ever been a T.V. show with this much secrecy? I remember Stanley Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut' was filmed in complete secrecy, but that was a movie for cinematic release.
I can't think of anything to this level, besides AHS (from what I've gathered - never actually watched the show), and some of Abrams' stuff like the Cloverfield films.

In terms of the Horse interview I think it was great. The interviewer mentions Cooper's line that he hopes Hawk is the one they send to find him if he's ever lost - I wonder if that will play a role in Season 3. That would be pretty epic.

Wasn't some of the speculation from the writers about the season 3 they imagined at the time include driving a car through a cornfield or something? I can't remember if it was meant to be Harry or Hawk doing the driving, I assume it was Harry.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

underthefan wrote:I am not familiar with this band but does anyone out there know what to make of this? Other than maybe Angelo's participation will be lessened...?

http://pitchfork.com/news/49605-chromat ... win-peaks/
Bear in mind that there's probably 18 hours of this new series and the above bands/ musicians could have maybe maximum three tracks featured, if that. I'm sure Badalamenti will feature very heavily in combination with various other artists. For instance, 75 percent Badalamenti in terms of actual featured in the show music. I'm sure there will be enough music to make two different soundtrack albums if they wanted, one all Badalamenti with Cruise and Bell on (PERHAPS!) and another with 'featured artists' like The Chromatics or Johnny Jewel, The Veils and so on.

That said, I'm not sure the new show would choose to put out two different soundtrack albums due to cost reasons and also it would be damned confusing for some people.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
underthefan wrote:I am not familiar with this band but does anyone out there know what to make of this? Other than maybe Angelo's participation will be lessened...?

http://pitchfork.com/news/49605-chromat ... win-peaks/
Bear in mind that there's probably 18 hours of this new series and the above bands/ musicians could have maybe maximum three tracks featured, if that. I'm sure Badalamenti will feature very heavily in combination with various other artists. For instance, 75 percent Badalamenti in terms of actual featured in the show music. I'm sure there will be enough music to make two different soundtrack albums if they wanted, one all Badalamenti with Cruise and Bell on (PERHAPS!) and another with 'featured artists' like The Chromatics or Johnny Jewel, The Veils and so on.

That said, I'm not sure the new show would choose to put out two different soundtrack albums due to cost reasons and also it would be damned confusing for some people.
Soundtrack Volumes 1 and 2, plus a 'From and Inspired By' album of songs, perhaps?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Dalai Cooper wrote:
40819-90 is the date Peaks premiered on ABC. April 8th, 1990.
This was... hella obvious tbh but lol @ numerology sleuths

I feel confident enough in stating that there will be no meaningful "clues" in these random jumbles of peaks iconography put together by showtime
I've got a list of Stuff to Ask Mark Frost at the First Available AMA and the first question is how involved he and/or Lynch were in the various aspects of this promotion.
When it comes to the reruns, my best guess is that the answer is "not much". You must've noticed that there isn't a single bit of new information, not even creative rewording in these promos. Worst case scenario, it COULD all be lifted from a wikia. (by 'new information' I don't even mean season 3 stuff. There's no expansion of who these characters are, unlike the old collectible cards)
Gabriel wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: - Her time on set made her figure out that MacLachlan is the protagonist. Shared scenes...?
So, 'Good Coop...' not 'BOB Coop?' :D

I can't imagine a villain being the lead for 18 episodes.
Kyle MacLachlan confirmed to be playing protagonist, antagonist, deuteragonist, love interest and comedic sidekick at once, amounting to 87% of the season's total screentime (...but mostly antagonist :twisted: )
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Nice! Thoughts:
- She got to work with Lynch 'five days a week', implying a long shoot, but was still worried she'd end up on the cutting floor? Just how big is her role?
- Her time on set made her figure out that MacLachlan is the protagonist. Shared scenes...?
Interesting. I hope she has as big of a role as possible.

Also, I loved the Michael Horse interview. He's seems like such a genuine nice guy.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Fantastic interview with Michael Horse:

http://ihorror.com/deputy-hawk-a-twin-p ... ael-horse/
If y'all haven't already, take a break from your sleuthing and read this interview. It's got me really excited. Fave quote:

"Like I often tell people, it’s like being in a painting that Davdi’s doing. And it’s funny. All spiritual people, all the holy people that I know are really funny. If you’re not funny, I don’t think you really have the juice as a holy person because you don’t understand the heart of the human condition."
" The ' Hawk ' guarantees it " :lol: Great stuff-
" All I’m going to tell the fans, I will guarantee you that you will not be disappointed (laughs). That’s a personal guarantee from the Hawk (laughs). Because we’re fans, we’re all fans, I’m a fan; and as I’m filming this thing, I’m filming it as a fan. I’m thinking to myself on the first day I wonder, will people be disappointed? Nooo. No (chuckles). " from the interview with Michael Horse.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I love how the doughnut is a 3.
We live inside a dream.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

EW just released a double week issue with Thor on the cover. The wait for a potential Twin Peaks cover story ensues!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh good, another Superhero cover... They don't do enough of those. (I know, I know collectors buy them and they sell.)

I don't think we going to see the EW issue until the end of April, possibly first week of May.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote:Oh good, another Superhero cover... They don't do enough of those. (I know, I know collectors buy them and they sell.)

I don't think we going to see the EW issue until the end of April, possibly first week of May.
Off topic, but I heard an interview with John Grisham where he said he can no longer get his novels made into films, because all Hollywood wants to make pretty much are more superhero films.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Audrey Horne wrote:Oh good, another Superhero cover... They don't do enough of those. (I know, I know collectors buy them and they sell.)

The Sirus XM post indicated "a few weeks" and I DMed an EW writer on Twitter and asked if it would drop before the end of March and they gave a tongue in cheek answer (without even indicating it was actually happening ;)) So maybe it'll be released in the first few weeks of April?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Because they do well internationally as well as domestic.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

mtwentz wrote:

Off topic, but I heard an interview with John Grisham where he said he can no longer get his novels made into films, because all Hollywood wants to make pretty much are more superhero films.
As a comic book fan my whole life who enjoys (most) of these movies, I roll my eyes whenever I see people whine about this. Hollywood still makes plenty of other films. Just like the Western was the dominant "popcorn" genre from the '30's to the mid '60s, that's where the superhero film is right now, because the majority of people, especially young people, want to go to the movies to be entertained.

What John Grisham is really complaining about is that he can longer get $100 million dollars to make his legal thriller like he would have in 1994, because there isn't much of a chance for those movies to make a lot of money at the box office to justify those kinds of '90s budgets for "adult fare." He can either A: try to make his films for cheaper, so they can turn a profit, or B: do what Lynch, Martin Scorsese and other auteur filmmakers are doing, and move to television. There is much more freedom for the kind of thing he wants to do on TV, thanks to cable and streaming, than there is in film now. The paradigm has shifted, that's all. Doing the "all they're making is superhero movies" thing is so tired to me.