NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

Thanks for doing it for me.

I may hang myself if the lucky attendees get one end of week at SXSW but we have to wait.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Gabriel wrote:
Mordeen wrote:It's pure selfishness on my part. Suffering through 20+ years of thinking it would never return was like losing a child. Sounds cheesy, but TP was as big an influence on me as Star Wars was in 1977-1983. Now that we have it back, I don't want it to be milked or strung out. Hell, even if it ends on another epic cliffhanger, as long as I know FOR SURE that it's over, I'll be thrilled.

-Mordeen
Yeah, I often think of the ending of Soap, which deliberately finished on multiple cliffhangers. Part of me wants the show to be done because the original season two ending killed me. It was beyond irritating never getting a proper ending. I'm fine with TP coming back for as many seasons as the makers want, but I want complete stories, like we have in Fargo. The complete stories can impact other seasons, but no more end-of-season cliffhangers. I'm done with them! I never did like them!
The ending of Season 2 never bothered me. Artistically, Twin Peaks ended on a high note. Episode 29 took chances and broke new ground in television. How many other series endings are as memorable as Twin Peaks?

Also, wee very nearly had Josie trapped in a drawer knob as the series ending. For me, Episode 29 redeemed all the bad storylines we had to sit through in the latter part of Season 2.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Ross wrote: You must have missed MJA's attacks against Showtime, Frost, and Lynch. Both professional and personal. After all of that there is 100% no chance of his return. In fact, one of my biggest questions is how they will deal with his absence since he refused at the 11th hour. The discussion on if they are allowed to use any of his footage from the old show is also pretty interesting. If they can't, that may have caused them to get even more creative.
Also, Kyle & Michael Horse have indeed talked about Ontkean not returning. (Although there I can see holding out hope for a cameo).
I can definitely see Lynch as someone who'd be willing to forgive that kind of behavior, all the more if his art demands it. Other people involved, I'm not so sure, so I guess MJA kinda dug his own grave with his rantings (then again, if the man is mentally unsound, who's to say who "real" MJA really is and what he makes/would make of all of this, if you catch my drift...).

Regarding Ontkean, I remember MacLachlan tweeting something like "there'll be a chapter missing". Horse, if you mean by him speaking about the matter the recent interview that was conducted with him, on the other hand said nothing conclusive about it; in fact, upon interviewer's question about Ontkean's absence, it's quite clear Horse goes around a direct answer and says something to the effect of "I can promise you fans will not be disappointed" - make of that what you will, but for me, some things definitely point to an Ontkean-related conspiracy going on among those in the know :)
Last edited by Agent Earle on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

N. Needleman wrote:Thanks for doing it for me.

I may hang myself if the lucky attendees get one end of week at SXSW but we have to wait.
At this rate, I'm not even convinced they're going to show one there. I feel like the pop-up RR Diner and musical performances might be THE promotion (a la the Fest of Disruption a few months ago, which Showtime co-sponsored and hosted that TP pop-up store). I honestly would be happy with a 10-second shot of an empty coffee cup at this point with the TP theme playing; at least that would be SOMETHING. I mean, there's keeping the mystery alive, and then there's just total silence... (And yes, I realize I am entitled to absolutely nothing; I'm just venting for the fun of it and because I think the wait/suspense is slowly driving me crazy!)
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I seriously doubt that would be the case. They might pull that off in an early tca, but not in a more public event when the anticipation is high as it is now. I have some confidence we're actually getting something soon. Only 2 months left!!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

TheArm wrote:

At this rate, I'm not even convinced they're going to show one there. I feel like the pop-up RR Diner and musical performances might be THE promotion (a la the Fest of Disruption a few months ago, which Showtime co-sponsored and hosted that TP pop-up store). I honestly would be happy with a 10-second shot of an empty coffee cup at this point with the TP theme playing; at least that would be SOMETHING. I mean, there's keeping the mystery alive, and then there's just total silence... (And yes, I realize I am entitled to absolutely nothing; I'm just venting for the fun of it and because I think the wait/suspense is slowly driving me crazy!)
Word!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:
Ross wrote: You must have missed MJA's attacks against Showtime, Frost, and Lynch. Both professional and personal. After all of that there is 100% no chance of his return. In fact, one of my biggest questions is how they will deal with his absence since he refused at the 11th hour. The discussion on if they are allowed to use any of his footage from the old show is also pretty interesting. If they can't, that may have caused them to get even more creative.
Also, Kyle & Michael Horse have indeed talked about Ontkean not returning. (Although there I can see holding out hope for a cameo).
I can definitely see Lynch as someone who'd be willing to forgive that kind of behavior, all the more if his art demands it. Other people involved, I'm not so sure, so I guess MJA kinda dug his own grave with his rantings (then again, if the man is mentally unsound, who's to say who "real" MJA really is and what he makes/would make of all of this, if you catch my drift...).

Regarding Ontkean, I remember MacLachlan tweeting something like "there'll be a chapter missing". Horse, if you mean by him speaking about the matter the recent interview that was conducted with him, on the other hand said nothing conclusive about it - in fact, upon interviewer's question about Ontkean's absence, it's quite clear Horse goes around a direct answer and says something to the effect of "I can promise you fans will not be disappointed" - make of that what you will, but for me, some things definitely point to an Ontkean-related conspiracy going on among those in the know :)
I do not think anyone can be ruled out 100%. That being said, if MJA shows up in the new series, I'll eat a bug right here in front of God and everybody.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

At this point I have to assume that people speculating about the possible return of ontkean or MJA are doing their best impression of cooper in the snl sketch
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

TheArm wrote:At this rate, I'm not even convinced they're going to show one there.
Oh, neither am I.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Agent Earle wrote:
TheArm wrote:

Word!
Aside from my own madness, I'm just a little surprised Showtime wouldn't want to start building more anticipation publicly at this point, since it's one of their next big new shows at bat, AND it was a costly/troubled one at that, so I'd think they'd be particularly invested in its success. I know that WE are all abuzz about it, but I don't totally know if the general public is as on top of it as we are. I have spoken to quite a few normal people recently who have virtually no awareness of it at all, or had forgotten since it was announced so long ago.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

You're right, definitely true.
While the hype has been building like CRAZY in "our" neck of the woods, most other TV and film buffs out there are still somewhere between "What is Twin Peaks?" and "I had no idea it's coming back!"

I wonder if this on intentional???

Because I'm sure Showtime knows their numbers quite well.

Do you believe they would've given Lynch that infamous budget raise that led to his return, if it were only for a few thousand geeks watching it? Speaking in marketing terms, this is literally NOTHING to gain...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

dronerstone wrote:You're right, definitely true.
While the hype has been building like CRAZY in "our" neck of the woods, most other TV and film buffs out there are still somewhere between "What is Twin Peaks?" and "I had no idea it's coming back!"

I wonder if this on intentional???

Because I'm sure Showtime knows their numbers quite well.

Do you believe they would've given Lynch that infamous budget raise that led to his return, if it were only for a few thousand geeks watching it? Speaking in marketing terms, this is literally NOTHING to gain...
I'm sure it's not intentional; I am sure Showtime wants as much awareness, excitement and, most importantly, new subscribers as they can. Having said that, I am sure Lynch has them over a barrel here, and that's why there isn't much out there. He probably has the sign-off on all marketing and promotional materials, and they are probably hamstrung in terms of what and how they can promote the show. I am sure Showtime is between a rock & a hard place in terms of wanting to publicize and market the show, but not being allowed to reveal any footage, plot points, characters, photography from the set, music, dialogue, etc. whatsoever, so I can see how this would be a tough task...

For instance, you'll note how most of the merchandise that's been released or announced, from the t-shirts, coasters, patches and various ephemera at the Showtime store to the Funko Pops and action figures all draw on imagery and iconography from the original series. I feel like they've had to go back to the original in a major way in order to market the new series. Even the key art for the new series (particularly the Laura Palmer one) mostly ties directly back to the classic series (frankly, I'm surprised and excited that they used a new pic of Coop vs an old one!).
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Then there's the question of a Showtime red carpet premier in L.A. in advance of 5/21. No hope of getting in to that, but I'd like to be out front on the street for stargazing.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I think the real advertising campaign is going to be the show itself. If it's as good as we anticipate, it should take off like a firestorm starting May 21.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mordeen wrote:Then there's the question of a Showtime red carpet premier in L.A. in advance of 5/21. No hope of getting in to that, but I'd like to be out front on the street for stargazing.

-Mordeen
Mordeen, I was actually thinking they might do something like that. Have you heard any word about it?

Of course, everyone attending would have to sign an NDA...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly