NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by LateReg »

underthefan wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I thought I heard an interview with Robert Engels who was there at Cannes in 1992, and that he did not recall hearing anyone boo'ing after FWWM was screened.
Correct. This story is a too-oft recycled myth. At most people were just shocked by it.

-Mordeen
Or it could have been just simply one person booing (not atypical at Cannes at all), and a massive mountain was made out of that molehill.
I myself believe the story about boos. At the very least Quentin Tarantino has been very vocal about his negative feelings about his Cannes viewing of the film, and it fits that narrative, as do the initial reviews. Booing at Cannes seems to happen a lot, whether it's a small crowd or large.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Didn't Lynch confirm the story about the booing in the Rodley book, or am I misremembering? If so, I trust Lynch's memory a lot more than Engels's. Engels seems like a great guy, but his love of chatting seems to outpace his ability to remember details.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

LateReg wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Mordeen wrote: Correct. This story is a too-oft recycled myth. At most people were just shocked by it.

-Mordeen
Or it could have been just simply one person booing (not atypical at Cannes at all), and a massive mountain was made out of that molehill.
I myself believe the story about boos. At the very least Quentin Tarantino has been very vocal about his negative feelings about his Cannes viewing of the film, and it fits that narrative, as do the initial reviews. Booing at Cannes seems to happen a lot, whether it's a small crowd or large.
Yeah, not sure I would put much stock into what Tarantino had to say as he had his own personal bias against FWWM. And besides, what major irony/hypocrisy that he would call out someone else as "too far up his own ass." I mean, yeah I know it takes one to know one, but he still needs to take several seats. :roll:
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Yeah I cant think of a director with "his head up his own ass" more than Quentin Tarantino, the King of Head Up Own Ass-edness. I've had a low opinion of him since reading that ridiculous comment.

As far as booing a film, at Cannes or anywhere else, it's a rude and childish thing to do- especially to somebody as important to recent American ci emas as David Lynch.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Pardon me while I take a moment to pile on. Tarantino, to me, has demonstrated himself to be one of the most narcissistic, self-aggrandizing celebrities of our time. And I find him to be a hack. Shitting on Lynch as a competitor rather than embracing him as a colleague pretty much summed up Tarantino's quality as a human being. Fuck that guy.

Plenty of people actually there who didn't have a horse in that race watched the movie in stunned silence. Several walked out, but that was shortly after Leland was raping Laura.

Critics were making shit up back then because they felt betrayed that FWWM was a prequel. The reality was quite different. You can trust me on that.

Meanwhile, FWWM haters better just go ahead and walk out on Season 3. Lynch already confirmed its importance. Too bad.

/rant

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Aaannnddd... mic's been dropped!

Insert hand clap emoji here.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a long while. Was mostly lurking and posting on spoilers thread before cast list came out. Came back to the non spoiler section to see what some of you think abut Catherine being in the new show as another disguise and thus left off cast list.

In the Oral History of Twin Peaks Frost has an interesting development with her character after the bank explosion that leaves it very much so open ended. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book yet. Out of all the regular cast members from the original show now not in the new one it's her that I believe has the greatest chance at returning. Maybe Heather Graham but my bet is a repeat of the fake identity with Catherine.

Thoughts?
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a long while. Was mostly lurking and posting on spoilers thread before cast list came out. Came back to the non spoiler section to see what some of you think abut Catherine being in the new show as another disguise and thus left off cast list.

In the Oral History of Twin Peaks Frost has an interesting development with her character after the bank explosion that leaves it very much so open ended. I won't spoil it for those who haven't red the book yet. Out of all the regular cast members from the original show now not in the new one it's her that I believe has the greatest chance at returning. Maybe Heather Graham but my bet is a repeat of the fake identity with Catherine.

Thoughts?
I think the greatest chances of surprise returns are the ones who are presumed dead/AWOL/erased from the timeline on the starting blocks of the new season. And whose sudden appearance will be significant and propped as such. Basically IF some surprise returns are in the cards, they're not letting something as plebeian as a cast list spoil a good surprise entrance.
At this point in time and considering TSHOTP, I don't think Catherine is central enough to anything to qualify... and it would be a repeat, too.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mordeen wrote:Plenty of people actually there who didn't have a horse in that race watched the movie in stunned silence. Several walked out, but that was shortly after Leland was raping Laura.
Mordeen you watched FWWM at Cannes? :shock:
Meanwhile, FWWM haters better just go ahead and walk out on Season 3. Lynch already confirmed its importance. Too bad.
High five

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Hmmm... His lack of tactfulness notwithstanding, I still think calling Tarantino a hack is a tad too much. You may like his style of moviemaking or not - the same as with Lynch or anyone else in this business -, but dismissing everything he's done as a pile of poo just reeks of ignorance and some kind of personal vendetta. The man did make Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill, after all.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

laughingpinecone wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a long while. Was mostly lurking and posting on spoilers thread before cast list came out. Came back to the non spoiler section to see what some of you think abut Catherine being in the new show as another disguise and thus left off cast list.

In the Oral History of Twin Peaks Frost has an interesting development with her character after the bank explosion that leaves it very much so open ended. I won't spoil it for those who haven't red the book yet. Out of all the regular cast members from the original show now not in the new one it's her that I believe has the greatest chance at returning. Maybe Heather Graham but my bet is a repeat of the fake identity with Catherine.

Thoughts?
I think the greatest chances of surprise returns are the ones who are presumed dead/AWOL/erased from the timeline on the starting blocks of the new season. And whose sudden appearance will be significant and propped as such. Basically IF some surprise returns are in the cards, they're not letting something as plebeian as a cast list spoil a good surprise entrance.
At this point in time and considering TSHOTP, I don't think Catherine is central enough to anything to qualify... and it would be a repeat, too.
I get your reasoning here and I get Catherine's storyline being finished in a sense. Catherine is however very central to the show of Twin Peaks. She practically appeared in every episode and her story line with Ben is still very much so unresolved. I just know from stories and interviews. Piper is known to enjoy throwing the fans and even cast and crew in a loop about when she played the Japanese businessman and she was very eager to join the show. With someone of her clout I just think it would be a surprise not to see her.

Then again I thought it was a give in Josie and Windom would appear too and those didn't "Officially happen"
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Earle wrote:Hmmm... His lack of tactfulness notwithstanding, I still think calling Tarantino a hack is a tad too much. You may like his style of moviemaking or not - the same as with Lynch or anyone else in this business -, but dismissing everything he's done as a pile of poo just reeks of ignorance and some kind of personal vendetta. The man did make Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill, after all.
True Romance was his best work in any form,in my opinion, and I am stating opinions. Heavily disliking Tarantino and the majority of his work (Kill Bill being the worst, since you brought it up) doesn't make me ignorant. Calling him a hack is another opinion. You can like him. You can have him.

But Tarantino isn't the point. The point originally was that many people have lied about what happened at Cannes because they had an agenda.

The truth is very different.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'd be thrilled if Catherine came back with an amazing disguise, something more realistic than the last one though.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Plenty of people actually there who didn't have a horse in that race watched the movie in stunned silence. Several walked out, but that was shortly after Leland was raping Laura.
Mordeen you watched FWWM at Cannes? :shock:
High five

Circumstances that I regret squandering put me there. Regardless, it was no boo fest. A couple people scoffed but only because they were disturbed by the brutality that Lynch portrayed. Most everyone else was pissed that it wasn't a sequel, like I said, despite the fact it was well known that he filmed a prequel. There was inherent bias.

Let's move on. This particular subject always fires me up because if the nonsense behind it. Sorry for my negativity.

Season 3 will be beautiful destruction of current premium scripted television. Get ready.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mordeen wrote: True Romance was his best work in any form,in my opinion, and I am stating opinions.
So am I.
Mordeen wrote: Heavily disliking Tarantino and the majority of his work (Kill Bill being the worst, since you brought it up) doesn't make me ignorant. Calling him a hack is another opinion. You can like him. You can have him.
I never said you must like him. Nor that you must have him. I merely implied that slamming someone's whole body of work on account of him making an unkind remark about some other director you're a fan of doesn't sound as the world's most sound or credible critique. But you're entitled to your preferences and opinions. Of course you are.
Mordeen wrote: But Tarantino isn't the point. The point originally was that many people have lied about what happened at Cannes because they had an agenda.

The truth is very different.
Fair enough. I won't argue (not that I have any reason to do so), since all I know about the occurrence is from media reports back in the day and we all know things in the media can be (deliberately or not) interpreted as different than that actually are/were. And once that snowball starts rolling, it's very difficult to prevent an avalanche, especially in the pre-Internet age.