NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Yep, agreed. I think there might be slightly dodgy stuff on both those scores, given that this script is entirely the work of two old dudes with imperfect form in these regards, but it'll be minor if anything and there won't be anything nearly as bad as tojemura, which was astoundingly misjudged even by the standards of the time.

EDIT: God, yeah, Stephen King. Weird to find yourself crying out for less diversity in an author's work.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I would love for the show to be more diverse this time around, and there's a handful of people of color on the new list. But I've pretty much accepted Lynch's world as being what it is, like a lot of very stylized filmmakers and artists over the decades.

The thinkpiece culture will likely seize on this very quickly, but Lynch will not care or respond and in a lot of ways he's been above that kind of cultural criticism for a long time.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I can tell you what David Lynch thinks of political correctness.

By the way, the two people that helped Piper with her character (backstory, mannerisms etc.) were Paula Shimatsu (Unit Publicist and stills photographer) and her Brother Derick (Tojamura's Assistant), both Japanese. All three had a blast with this portion of the show.

I asked her a few years ago if there was any concern or criticism from her Japanese friends or family who watched the show and she said no.

Your mileage may vary.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Well there wouldn't be much diversity in a town like Twin Peaks. I could see more Native American characters, but there aren't a lot of blacks in rural Washington.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dead Dog wrote:Well there wouldn't be much diversity in a town like Twin Peaks. I could see more Native American characters, but there aren't a lot of blacks folks in rural Washington.
And yet my girlfriend, watching the Pilot for the first time last night, was impressed to see a woman of color playing a doctor (presumably both Dr. Shelvy and Mrs. Jackson at the school were played by local Wa. actors). Weird that the casting became LESS diverse when they moved to LA.

I think Mark's self-aware acknowledgement in TSHoTP that the "Tommy Hawk" pun maybe isn't in the best taste is a tacit hint that, at least on his end, the new show will try to be a bit more conscious of various groups' feelings.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

If there are scenes outside of Twin Peaks I would think a more diverse population will be represented.

If going for realism (never a safe bet with Lynch) there should be more Hispanics in Twin Peaks. But those smaller towns in Washington (I live in one) can be pretty darn white.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Still, I doubt we have much to worry about on the new show. I'm sure Frost and Showtime would prevent any major embarrassments, and I'm pretty confident even Lynch understands the boundaries of good taste in this area in today's climate.
As a purely anecdotal observation, I found it interesting that in The Art Life, Lynch used "not a racist" not once but twice when describing people he wanted to portray as good in few broad strokes, with no context that would prompt an emphasis on that particular positive characteristic.

Very curious to see Frost's current sensibility - as shown by TSHOTP - reflected in the new show. Horse had a word of praise for his insight on Hawk's character, didn't he... Should there be just one (1) major native character in a cast of 217, at least let it be a great one. Here's hoping!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Can't wait to see hawk in the new series, especially after horse's performance on the audiobook
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:I can tell you what David Lynch thinks of political correctness.

By the way, the two people that helped Piper with her character (backstory, mannerisms etc.) were Paula Shimatsu (Unit Publicist and stills photographer) and her Brother Derick (Tojamura's Assistant), both Japanese. All three had a blast with this portion of the show.

I asked her a few years ago if there was any concern or criticism from her Japanese friends or family who watched the show and she said no.

Your mileage may vary.
Ironically, the people who might be most offended by Lynch's work are not Asian-Americans, African Americans, Hispanics etc., but rather elderly white people from the trailer park:

"Where's my goddamn hot water Carl!?"
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Platypus2000 wrote:
tamygdala wrote:I bet the first two hours premieres as a 'special screening' at Cannes - the festival runs from May 17-28.
I think that's a real possibility.
The Deadline movie site has just debunked that possibility. Apparently Lynch wants no image to be shown before May 21.
Here :
http://deadline.com/2017/03/cannes-film ... 202044138/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

freeek wrote:Apparently Lynch wants no image to be shown before May 21.
Source? This article says no such thing.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mordeen wrote: Circumstances that I regret squandering put me there. Regardless, it was no boo fest. A couple people scoffed but only because they were disturbed by the brutality that Lynch portrayed. Most everyone else was pissed that it wasn't a sequel, like I said, despite the fact it was well known that he filmed a prequel. There was inherent bias.

Let's move on. This particular subject always fires me up because if the nonsense behind it. Sorry for my negativity.
I'm sorry, always wanted to talk to someone who attended the film's world premiere as FWWM is one of my favorite films.
I'm glad the whole booing thing is not true. Not because it's Lynch or FWWM, I just don't think any director deserves to have that at their film's opening night. It's insensible and disrespectful.

Critics here in Brazil were also dismissive to FWWM at the time mainly because "half the cast wasn't there" and "what's the point to go back in time and tell a story everyone already knows?". It's sad so many people couldn't look past their expectations. Thanks for the reply anyway :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

mtwentz wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I can tell you what David Lynch thinks of political correctness.

Your mileage may vary.
Ironically, the people who might be most offended by Lynch's work are not Asian-Americans, African Americans, Hispanics etc., but rather elderly white people from the trailer park:

"Where's my goddamn hot water Carl!?"
I've long suspected Lynch of being insensitive to people dependent on prescription drugs.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, not screening the show before 5/21 is not the same thing as "no image shown" or no promotion/trailer/whatever.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

So, I guess there won't be any screenings for critics in advance. That'd be very interesting.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.