NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

LOL talk about the ultimate in minimalist marketing!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

It looks like a pie that looks like an owl.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:While overall I hope everybody enjoys the show and it's fine if it doesn't hit explosive popularity again, part of me REALLY hopes it's a success because this could be the start of an auteur TV revolution.
I mean... that's been happening for at least five or six years now.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/statu ... 8966909956

Looks like there are supposed to be 8. Wonder where the rest are and what they mean...
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:While overall I hope everybody enjoys the show and it's fine if it doesn't hit explosive popularity again, part of me REALLY hopes it's a success because this could be the start of an auteur TV revolution.
That's absolutely true. I think it's more appropriate to say that this new Twin Peaks could be the, er, peak of auteur television, and in that sense lead to even more daring auteur television. I'm looking for it to complete a circle that began with the original series in 1990. Bookends, I suppose. And from here TV can go anywhere. But yes, it's doing that already.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

N. Needleman wrote:
Writer-oriented auteur TV has been going on for fifteen years, but director-auteur TV is something relatively new, with Fukunaga, Soderbergh and Sorrentino leading the way. Lynch just might take that to a new level and popularise it even more, if the show is successful.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

djerdap wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Writer-oriented auteur TV has been going on for fifteen years, but director-auteur TV is something relatively new, with Fukunaga, Soderbergh and Sorrentino leading the way. Lynch just might take that to a new level and popularise it even more, if the show is successful.
That's how I meant to put it as well. Also, this is a more massive undertaking than any of those directors have attempted in a single season. And Fukunaga and Soderbergh didn't write their own stuff, either, so this is even more director-controlled in that sense. All that control plus the complete freedom Showtime is giving him over a massive amount of hours might actually be an unprecedented amount/combination of creative control and singular vision even by today's TV standards. It could lead to further revolutionary programming, for sure, and I've always thought that one of the prevalent theories is that Showtime was actually using this as a calling card in order to lure more talent to their network.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

djerdap wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
This is what I was getting at. Potentially more movies and not simply TV series as well. Soderbergh is another good example that comes to mind. It'd be amazing if Twin Peaks did well enough to give more leeway for projects like this to happen in the future. Networks tossing directors wads of cash to make whatever movie, long-running series, or limited series that they wanted!

If this has been going on for years color me completely out of the loop then.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Another Seattle poster, half heart this time: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... rry-pie%2F
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

Did Showtime's Twin Peaks profile pull their tweets about the billboards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

bob_wooler wrote:Another Seattle poster, half heart this time: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... rry-pie%2F
Alas but that is a raindrop obscuring a portion of the slice.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

Can anyone verify this one? If real it's a massive Easter egg that basicaly confirms the alternate realities approach: https://twitter.com/apadamson/status/844311330861432832
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

bob_wooler wrote:Another Seattle poster, half heart this time: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... rry-pie%2F
Can you imagine the marketing team brainstorming for this teaser campaign? How much fun would it have been to be in there doing that. Though imagine it would be a really tough call if you're not already a fan of the show with the inherent understanding that comes with that. I wonder how many levels of sign off it had to go through before being allowed out and into the public. I like these posters. Almost like bringing modern art with a twist to the masses. Very Lynch. Very smart.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

wpc77 wrote:Can anyone verify this one? If real it's a massive Easter egg that basicaly confirms the alternate realities approach: https://twitter.com/apadamson/status/844311330861432832
Does it?
We live inside a dream.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

wpc77 wrote:Can anyone verify this one? If real it's a massive Easter egg that basicaly confirms the alternate realities approach: https://twitter.com/apadamson/status/844311330861432832
It looks like a viral marketing campaign, but no one can figure out if it's official. I think it might be the channel in Aus doing it. I don't think it means anything, yes it's odd she's considered missing when she was famously found wrapped in plastic but i think that's just to make the poster work.