NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
dronerstone wrote:It might be titled "The Return" for marketing reasons or because Lynch likes the expression,/

This seems very likely to me. Just as DKL insisted on calling the "definitive" DVD set "The Gold Box," which outraged many fans at the time because it had nothing to do with TP. He's a quirky guy who latches onto sometimes-corny marketing ideas. I'm fine with it. I'm fairly certain it won't be in the show and it's not a "title" per se, but it's what DKL wants us to call this thing in lieu of calling it S3.

And there are gonna be credits on every episode as long as unions exist.
I wish there weren't credits. I'd like to experience it as a movie broken into parts in the purest sense possible...and it would be a genuinely fresh, even groundbreaking approach to not have ctedits...damn unions. Not that this would affect a one part a week viewing of the show, but later, on bluray or digital or whatever, it would be nice to see it play as one long stream.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
dronerstone wrote:It might be titled "The Return" for marketing reasons or because Lynch likes the expression,/
I wish there weren't credits. I'd like to experience it as a movie broken into parts in the purest sense possible...and it would be a genuinely fresh, even groundbreaking approach to not have ctedits...damn unions. Not that this would affect a one part a week viewing of the show, but later, on bluray or digital or whatever, it would be nice to see it play as one long stream.
Mr. Reindeer wrote 'every episode'. Maybe that's why Lynch is not calling them episodes, so he doesn't have to run opening credit sequences every hour of the show?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I thought there were Union rules that govern TV shows and that credits are required? I don't think Lynch can get around that.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

musicaddict wrote:I thought there were Union rules that govern TV shows and that credits are required? I don't think Lynch can get around that.
That is Mr. Reindeer's point, so there probably is now way around it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Soolsma wrote:I guess what I'm getting at is that I personally believe there are some that are deliberately left out of the cast list. So more than 217. Maybe some of them play double roles, but I don't think 10 of them do.
Nah I recognise you only know what the article says, and sure it came out after the 217 list, but it was based on the costume designer saying how many speaking parts she had to dress at the time of shooting. So since the shoot that number may have decreased to 217. I think the 217 figure had a lot to do with 2017 over anything else. I think you're right in your belief that there may be secret returning cast members and those members may form part of that extra 21. I think of those 21, some may have been legitimately cut bringing the list down from 238 to something closer to the 217. I guess the additional question is whether there's been any further changes to the 217, which may mean some who are on that list - aren't in the show anymore but the number is still different because there are cast members not mentioned!

All a bit messy, but I'd like to think anyone that made the 217 is probably safe and there may be a handful of secret cameos - so I think I agree.

But I guess, it's still possible that in editing an entire scene didn't work and that leads to someone being cut completely. TP has tons of characters who only appear in a scene or two. We've got customers in the diner, or for e.g. the bank teller in the finale (I appreciate he's also in the missing pieces - but that's exactly my point!) If any scene with an actor playing a quirky one scene character he might see himself cut out completely! Having said that, most of those characters often get to at least sit around the background (e.g. the convenience store lodge spirits).

Unrelated - had two dreams yesterday that I saw the premiere of TP. The first, was some weird hybrid TP Matrix thing. And I mean matrix, there were kungfu fights and gun fights and stuff... and it all stemmed from a sort of "this is all a dream" viewpoint.
Second dream, after I woke up and went back to sleep felt more in line with what I'm expecting but is a complete haze.
The struggle is real!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The cast list was released well before editing- which apparently is still going on. Seems likely some may be cut. Especially considering some of the names likely shot only one or two scenes. But who knows, with 18 hours, maybe Lynch is trying to fit most of what they shot in, but it seems doubtful.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Funny though, because crediting on movies/shows is becoming all but obsolete with the streaming services allowing customers to automatically skip ending credits and beginning credits as well.
I'm sure they're fighting that, as they fought networks shrinking credits to a third of the screen to show ads. It is a tad disrespectful, methinks. What annoys me is that Netflix makes this the default mode. I like sitting through the credits, especially on shows that use a different song at the end of each episode. It sustains the mood past the ending scene, and is an important part of the experience for me (Netflix's own Orange Is the New Black being a prime example). Credit-skip mode should be an elective option. I hate having the mood broken by having to scramble for the remote before 15 seconds is up.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Funny though, because crediting on movies/shows is becoming all but obsolete with the streaming services allowing customers to automatically skip ending credits and beginning credits as well.
I'm sure they're fighting that, as they fought networks shrinking credits to a third of the screen to show ads. It is a tad disrespectful, methinks. What annoys me is that Netflix makes this the default mode. I like sitting through the credits, especially on shows that use a different song at the end of each episode. It sustains the mood past the ending scene, and is an important part of the experience for me (Netflix's own Orange Is the New Black being a prime example). Credit-skip mode should be an elective option. I hate having the mood broken by having to scramble for the remote before 15 seconds is up.
I agree with you 100 percent. Think of Titanic without that Celine Dion song. Love it or hate it, it is a part of the total movie experience of Titanic and cutting it out cuts out a key part of that film. And that is just one example.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I like sitting through the credits, especially on shows that use a different song at the end of each episode. It sustains the mood past the ending scene, and is an important part of the experience for me (Netflix's own Orange Is the New Black being a prime example).
NO ONE does end credits with different songs at episodes' ends like The Sopranos!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

And it's nice to read the names of minor characters at the end, and mentally commend the people who did a great job, and most have at least one hilarious role among the crew that's worth scanning the list for. Credits are nice!

That being said, for future rewatch marathons, it'd be neat if the blu ray had an option to link together the episodes and make them as close to a 18 hours movie as possible :)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Yes, I agree with all that. If there are important pieces of songs over the credits then I consider it to be part of the film or episode or whatever it may be. But if one scene is just supposed to flow into the next, or if a creator is just putting songs over credits because credits are mandated, I would rather see the thing go without credits as I presume it was scripted.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The official twitter account will have a Q&A with Kyle on Saturday.
https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/statu ... 4953528321
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nice! I Hope we're about to find out some cool things, beside the usual obvious and boring interview stuff (favorite episode, scene and pie, big yawn there).

Also, fingers crossed it is to accompany more promotion to be revealed this Saturday.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Soolsma wrote: Also, fingers crossed it is to accompany more promotion to be revealed this Saturday.
Totally this!

Not improbable though, as 4/8 is a big date for Peaks history.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

April 8th must always be a donut & coffee day at minimum. Legendary series release.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .