NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by djerdap »

Snailhead wrote:I don't want a trailer. I look forward to it being all brand, spankin' new!
I agree. Naturally, I'd watch the trailer if it was out, but I'm enjoying the secrecy.

The latest X-Files "event" was partially ruined for me due to so much footage being released beforehand. Some key dialogue scenes were included in a behind-the-scenes featurette (a big spoiler involving a certain character's death could have been easily derived from those scenes), and the underwhelming final cliffhanger was included in dozens of small teasers and trailers. It was absurd and really lessened the experience.

Lynch knows what he's doing. But Showtime should be more creative and innovative with their marketing campaign.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:People really think seeing 120 seconds of out of context footage from an epic 18 hour event would somehow lessen their experience?
Yes, and they fully deserve the right to think so, and Lynch fully deserves the artistic choice to abstain from showing us anything, if that's the path he takes up until the premiere. Questioning his right to do that puts into question his right to write or direct anything he decides to, which is the kind of restrictive and artistically imprisoning market-consideration type thing that killed the original show in the first place.
No one's trying to deprive anyone of their rights to feel and do as they like, come on: Lynch can certainly do doodly-squat in regards to the promotion of the show (which he's been sorta doing up till now; if it keeps him more focused on delivering top-notch quality of the end product, of course it's for the better) and fans can certainly treat this behavior as the second coming. I can also, however, exercise my right to not be ecstatic about the fact that for two and a half years since the project commenced, all they've been feeding us is talk about coffee, cherry pie and doughnuts, accompanied by shots of the old stuff - it's been profoundly boring and frustrating, for the most part (but again, if/when the new series blows my mind, it'll all be forgotten).
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

As frustrating as it is now, you'll forget all about it when the new series airs. For sure though, I would never deny your right to grumble.

I'm thinking that I need to enjoy these days. The new series could totally change how I view everything Twin Peaks-related up to now. The sheer length of the new content makes it impossible not to. The entire original series and film are now a prologue to something else. This is the last 6 weeks when I'll have my current view of the series and what it means.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

baxter wrote: The new series could totally change how I view everything Twin Peaks-related up to now. The sheer length of the new content makes it impossible not to. The entire original series and film are now a prologue to something else. This is the last 6 weeks when I'll have my current view of the series and what it means.
That's truly mind-boggling, I agree! :)
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

The bottom line is that whether the teaser trailers have detail or not, Twin Peaks 3 is getting an awful lot of coverage already - just google it. So something is working and the message is drip feeding well out to the masses, not just us.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
FrostedCherries

Post by FrostedCherries »

My impatient doppelganger self would totally absorb a trailer, no question about that. He'd watch it on repeat multiple times, analyze, discuss it to death until the very last day. My rational self however prefers not to be faced with this temptation at all. It'd be just to weak to resist. Also, I somehow like Lynch/Frost not playing by the rules/expectations of the audience at this point already. IMHO it can only mean good for the show. :mrgreen:
"J'ai une âme solitaire."
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

All I want from a teaser are a few out-of-context atmospheric shots accompanied by music. I think the one back in January, with headlights in the woods/Cooper emerging from the dark, set the marketing on the right track, though they never followed up. A lengthier teaser in the same vein would be perfect.
As for a "proper" trailer - I expect, if they release one at all, it'll probably drop somewhere in the two weeks after the premiere. That's certainly what I'm hoping for, and everything so far points to that being their approach, with the way they're releasing the first 4 hours.
I'll see you in the trees
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rainwater wrote:All I want from a teaser are a few out-of-context atmospheric shots accompanied by music. I think the one back in January, with headlights in the woods/Cooper emerging from the dark, set the marketing on the right track, though they never followed up. A lengthier teaser in the same vein would be perfect.
Agreed! That's why I say I only saw/remember one of these promo whatchamacallits that could qualify as anything remotely approaching a true teaser/trailer.
Oneeyedwaldo

Post by Oneeyedwaldo »

Why do I have a feeling the first episode will be kind of like the force awakens. We waited for Luke Skywalker to appear and he's in the last what, 15 20 seconds. I have a feeling that's what will happen with Cooper in the first episode.
I hope not and I can't wait to see what route they're going to take with this and with Cooper. I'm more excited that there hasn't been a specific trailer so my mind is thinking so many possibilities that's going to happen.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:People really think seeing 120 seconds of out of context footage from an epic 18 hour event would somehow lessen their experience?
Yes, and they fully deserve the right to think so, and Lynch fully deserves the artistic choice to abstain from showing us anything, if that's the path he takes up until the premiere. Questioning his right to do that puts into question his right to write or direct anything he decides to, which is the kind of restrictive and artistically imprisoning market-consideration type thing that killed the original show in the first place.
You're getting a little too defensive here. Nobody is "questioning" anybody else's "rights". There have been trailers for everything David Lynch has ever done, and it certainly didn't restrict him artistically. And I even said in that very post that it doesn't really matter once the series is launched, it's just something to talk about while we sit around twiddling our thumbs.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Last edited by Twink Peaks on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I hope it starts off slooowly and takes its time to draw the viewer in. I'd prefer not to see Cooper at least until the second hour.
I'll see you in the trees
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Rainwater wrote:I hope it starts off slooowly and takes its time to draw the viewer in. I'd prefer not to see Cooper at least until the second hour.
Took about 30 minutes before he entered the pilot, I suspect the new premiere will be similar. If we see Maclachlan early, it won't be the Cooper we know.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

When we're talking about cable networks, does 2 hours really mean that or is it 90 minutes like in network TV?
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

djerdap wrote:When we're talking about cable networks, does 2 hours really mean that or is it 90 minutes like in network TV?
It's 2 hours.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.