NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dead Dog »

I think critics get a bad wrap. More often than not, they like the good movies and don't like the bad movies.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Dead Dog wrote:I think critics get a bad wrap. More often than not, they like the good movies and don't like the bad movies.
Yes, but I became really disillusioned over The Force Awakens. It was at best an 'OK' movie, but the way the critics hyped it up, it was like the blockbuster movie of all time- I was almost expecting it to sweep the Oscars based on the description.

Then I actually saw it and was very much underwhelmed.

So it is a mixed bag with critics.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Dead Dog wrote:I think critics get a bad wrap. More often than not, they like the good movies and don't like the bad movies.
I don't know about that. Critics tend to make mistakes very often, or are simply unfair towards a movie, judging it by some warped set of criteria when they should strive for a leveled critique that takes in account various factors, least of which is belonging to a certain genre - for instance, you can't judge a bottom-of-the-barrel horror B movie with same eyes as you do a mainstream Academy Award contender, common sense should tell you that. Yet with some critics, exactly the latter happens - instead of assessing a film on its own merit and/or on a merit of a category to which it belongs, they mix everything up and stubbornly cling to their own preconceived notions of what makes a good and a bad movie, like the two are some absolute categories.
The mentioned Siskel & Ebert, per example, made some notorious blunders back in the 80's, what with their sickening crusade against slasher movies (and horror movies in general) - truly, the pair was positively "thatcheristic" in their holy wrath against "misogynistic, vile films that are out to corrupt our youth and destroy our society" or some such witch-hunting drivel. But what's downright bizarre, they loved John Carpenter's Halloween, calling it an instant classic, while they despised almost literally any other similar flick made in its wake, and not because it ripped-off Halloween (which would at least be a legitimate complaint, although clearly stemming from deep ignorance as to how a genre cinema ticks), but simply for daring to adhere to the (sub)genre criteria Halloween (and other genre classics) helped to establish.
Come to think of it, didn't Ebert trash Blue Velvet also?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:
I don't know about that. Critics tend to make mistakes very often, or are simply unfair towards a movie, judging it by some warped set of criteria when they should strive for a leveled critique that takes in account various factors, least of which is belonging to a certain genre - for instance, you can't judge a bottom-of-the-barrel horror B movie with same eyes as you do a mainstream Academy Award contender. Yet with some critics, exactly the latter happens - instead of assessing a film on its own merit and/or on a merit of a category to which it belongs, they mix everything up and stubbornly cling to their own preconceived notions of what makes a good and a bad movie, like the two are some absolute category.
The mentioned Siskel & Ebert, per example, made some notorious blunders back in the 80's, what with their sickening crusade against slasher movies (and horror movies in general) - truly, the pair was positively "thatcheristic" in their holy wrath against "misogynistic, vile films that are out to corrupt our youth and destroy our society" or some such witch-hunting drivel. But what's downright bizarre, they loved John Carpenter's Halloween, calling it an instant classic, while they despised almost literally any other similar flick made in its wake, and not because it ripped-off Halloween (which would at least be a legitimate complaint, although clearly stemming from deep ignorance as to how a genre cinema ticks), but simply for daring to adhere to the (sub)genre criteria Halloween )and other genre classics) helped to establish.
Ebert trashed Blue Velvet, yes, and every Lynch movie up until The Straight Story. Sometimes they get things "wrong," obviously, and each has his or her own taste. But mostly, as Dead Dog said, they (as a whole) like "good" movies and don't like "bad" ones, historically speaking. There's a ton of ground in between, and sometimes mediocre movies get a high "like" ratio whereas more daring films get mixed reviews, but you have to read between the lines and inside the concensus. And I do think that there are a lot of critics who acknowledge exactly what you're saying re: genre films. They grade them within their genre and overall at the same time. Which is how it should be, I think. And very few slashers lived up to Halloween's execution and sense of pure evil, so their dislike of so many is understandable.
Last edited by LateReg on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
I don't know about that. Critics tend to make mistakes very often, or are simply unfair towards a movie, judging it by some warped set of criteria when they should strive for a leveled critique that takes in account various factors, least of which is belonging to a certain genre - for instance, you can't judge a bottom-of-the-barrel horror B movie with same eyes as you do a mainstream Academy Award contender. Yet with some critics, exactly the latter happens - instead of assessing a film on its own merit and/or on a merit of a category to which it belongs, they mix everything up and stubbornly cling to their own preconceived notions of what makes a good and a bad movie, like the two are some absolute category.
The mentioned Siskel & Ebert, per example, made some notorious blunders back in the 80's, what with their sickening crusade against slasher movies (and horror movies in general) - truly, the pair was positively "thatcheristic" in their holy wrath against "misogynistic, vile films that are out to corrupt our youth and destroy our society" or some such witch-hunting drivel. But what's downright bizarre, they loved John Carpenter's Halloween, calling it an instant classic, while they despised almost literally any other similar flick made in its wake, and not because it ripped-off Halloween (which would at least be a legitimate complaint, although clearly stemming from deep ignorance as to how a genre cinema ticks), but simply for daring to adhere to the (sub)genre criteria Halloween )and other genre classics) helped to establish.
Ebert trashed Blue Velvet, yes, and almost every Lynch movie up until The Straight Story. Sometimes they get things wrong, obviously, and each has his or her own taste. But mostly, as Dead Dog said, they (as a whole) like good movies and don't like bad ones, historically speaking. There's a ton of ground in between, and sometimes mediocre movies get a high "like" ratio whereas more daring films get mixed reviews, but you have to read between the lines. And I do think that there are a lot of critics who acknowledge exactly what you're saying re: genre films. They grade them within their genre and overall at the same time. Which is how it should be, I think.
What's "good" and what's "bad" is relative, and then some.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Ebert trashed Blue Velvet, yes, and almost every Lynch movie up until The Straight Story. Sometimes they get things wrong, obviously, and each has his or her own taste. But mostly, as Dead Dog said, they (as a whole) like good movies and don't like bad ones, historically speaking. There's a ton of ground in between, and sometimes mediocre movies get a high "like" ratio whereas more daring films get mixed reviews, but you have to read between the lines. And I do think that there are a lot of critics who acknowledge exactly what you're saying re: genre films. They grade them within their genre and overall at the same time. Which is how it should be, I think.
What's "good" and what's "bad" is relative, and then some.
Yeah, I revised my own post with quotations as well, and added other comments. But that's why I said "historically speaking." Some things come to be considered "good" over time as though it were a fact. Sometimes critics get those wrong, and a reassessment must take place. But much of the time they get it right in the first place. For example, there are very few Fire Walk With Me's, that get THAT trashed upon release only to undergo a near-complete critical rehabilitation over the years. I can think of others, but not many in the grand scheme of things.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well the big takeaway is that Nafessa has more than one scene :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

We get a character name too, right? That's a bit of a departure from SOP
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

There's a spoiler in that article. Unless the production approved it.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Oops! Just a name though, I doubt she'll be fined a million bucks for it, approved or not.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

It's a confirmed spoiler. Luckily for her they pulled it from IMDB and she didn't comment on it. That NDA is rock solid and unforgiving.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

mtwentz wrote:
Well the big takeaway is that Nafessa has more than one scene :-)
Oh my God I’m a huge fan of “Full House,” how exciting was that for me to see.
:shock:
Hang loose, Houlies
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

weve had her character name for months :lol:
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Any rumors about a trailer date or at least another teaser with new footage? like 33/32 days out now..
Hang loose, Houlies