NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
C95d6GGUAAAEwCK.jpg
C95d6GGUAAAEwCK.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by beano »

premier party at a masonic lodge? interesting..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

And the cow comes out to pasture.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

According to Tim Goodman (TV critic for Hollywood Reporter), there'll be a media screening in LA on May 19 (presumably for the first 2 hours), but reviews will be embargoed until after it airs on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/BastardMachine/stat ... 0749658112
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

adl345 wrote:According to Tim Goodman (TV critic for Hollywood Reporter), there'll be a media screening in LA on May 19 (presumably for the first 2 hours), but reviews will be embargoed until after it airs on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/BastardMachine/stat ... 0749658112
So is he being sarcastic when he says "Um, all good signs!"?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Definitely. A lot of TV critics like Goodman and Sepinwall have lately been saying that if there's no screeners available to the press it must that the show is terrible and Showtime is hiding it. I assume Lynch doesn't want critics to spoil anything/let the work speak for itself and allow the audience to digest it without the perceptions of critics in mind.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Oh I guess Showtime might also want to avoid having screeners leak online before the air date. Also should note that Goodman is not a fan of TP as evidenced by this:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastar ... m=referral
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

dreamshake wrote:Definitely. A lot of TV critics like Goodman and Sepinwall have lately been saying that if there's no screeners available to the press it must that the show is terrible and Showtime is hiding it. I assume Lynch doesn't want critics to spoil anything/let the work speak for itself and allow the audience to digest it without the perceptions of critics in mind.
I think it's probably also a bit of eye-rolling on their end as well. It's great Lynch wants to keep the mystery alive, but, ultimately being a critic is a job, and I imagine it's a pain in the ass to have a mad rush to get reviews out almost immediately after airing (because the life span for television reviews is very short, if it's not up within a few hours, people stop caring). Obviously in this case, they have two days to write for the premiere, but, I assume they won't get screeners for the rest of the season which can cause headaches.

So, while I'm tempted to say 'grow up', I can see why reviewers who aren't already Twin Peaks fans sort of roll their eyes and might feel it's either Showtime being overly cautious, or Lynch being pretentious (I think a fair comparison to make is that Force Awakens, the biggest movie in the past decade, and with an even more aggressively dedicated fanbase, still had reviews out before the world wide premiere).

But, I'm a person who's pretty empathetic, plays devils advocate, and says "to be fair" a lot, so, don't skewer me on not hating the reviewers for being annoyed.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

dreamshake wrote:Oh I guess Showtime might also want to avoid having screeners leak online before the air date. Also should note that Goodman is not a fan of TP as evidenced by this:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastar ... m=referral
I've never heard of this reviewer before, but, he seemed to have respect for Twin Peaks for what it was trying to do, even if it didn't add up to him (minus large swaths of the second season .. but that's no different that a fair percentage of people on this board!). For what it's worth, Twin Peaks is entering a far more competitive tv landscape than it did in 1990.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Better brace ourselves for negativity...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Cool. That's where I live! But seeing as I'll be at the Roadhouse for the premier I'm going to have to miss this.

Saw Fire Walk With Me in a Long Beach Cemetery last year. The band XiuXiu who did a whole vinyl of the music of Twin Peaks(their interpretations) did a live set prior to the showing.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

It's definitely a pain on the publishing schedule but other shows don't send out screeners to avoid leaks. GoT and Mad Men are the biggest that come to mind.

I think the thing that irked me about that Goodman article is that it failed to mention how Legion is heavily indebted to Twin Peaks (even the creator acknowledges it) and if you're going to compare the shows I think you need to include that. Oversights like that are pretty glaring. There are directly lifted shots!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That article was posted (and trashed) a few weeks ago, I believe. Unless he double-dipped.

I do think there will be a good deal of glib cynicism and hot takes on TP so as to try and fix it in a larger cultural moment or framework. They won't work because the show is now immortal, but those pieces will exist. I suspect it will infuriate critics because they know that unlike other current showrunners, Lynch does not fit that box and does not give a shit and will not engage. I'm going to let most of them just roll off me. I don't think it's worth worrying over.

Same thing you're seeing with Goodman being sarcastic re: the screeners. The reason they're embargoed is not because the network fears critical response, it's because Lynch is hyper-secretive. But he's trying to frame it in conventional terms. TV critics, like Beltway media in Washington, crave their normal paradigm.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

dreamshake wrote:It's definitely a pain on the publishing schedule but other shows don't send out screeners to avoid leaks. GoT and Mad Men are the biggest that come to mind.

I think the thing that irked me about that Goodman article is that it failed to mention how Legion is heavily indebted to Twin Peaks (even the creator acknowledges it) and if you're going to compare the shows I think you need to include that. Oversights like that are pretty glaring. There are directly lifted shots!
It's a strange article. I just recently finished watching Legion (which I enjoyed quite a bit), and the truth is, despite the homages, and being linked by general "wierdness," Legion is just a different show than Twin Peaks, to the point that they're hardly comparable. Neither could really "scoop" the other; they don't occupy the same creative space.
Welcome...to the third...place.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

This last month of waiting is making everyone extremely testy, including the press. A trailer sure would help things!