NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Rudagger wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
I Thougth that parts would be of a changeful duration, not the same.
From my understanding, it's 18 parts, an hour each. Just on certain nights they're playing two back-to-back (i.e., first week, Parts 1 + 2) rather than actual two hour long episodes. 3+4 are streaming after 1/2 on the same night (and I *think* that means that 3/4 are airing the next week? Unless they intend on people who binge to then wait 3 weeks for a new episode), and I would assume that the final night would have two parts? I assume that's probably due to them being structure less as episodes (meaning, why not just split them up evenly if it makes no extra trouble, so that in the future they can be played back one at a time rather than forcing a two hour playback). I'm not sure though, it makes my head hurt a bit in terms of the nomenclature they've been using.
We'll know it as soon as a month. :D :D 8)
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:For Annie, I have a theory but will wait until the premiere airs, and we have more of a sense of the tone. I think this series is really going to focus on personal journeys and becoming whole again. Not just with Cooper. Many of the characters will be between two worlds... Sometimes metaphysical, dream worlds, while others being more broken parts of their former selves in the literal world. One month!
I think you're spot on. People's journeys as well as the passage of time.
Passage of time!! Is only my imagination or time will be very important in this new season and not only by passage? Temporal troubles maybe??
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Audrey Horne wrote: And in response to whoever mentioned Donna being used, it was only her voice... I feel to reinforce the Red Room.
She's also shown in her iconic crying scene!

Anyway, this is obviously not a direct measure of a character's importance - Shelly isn't there, for one, and Amick was at the TCA.
But a lot of characters are there just so the audience will remember they exist. I am more hopeful that Donna will have her closure now. Maybe she's just dead but they'll talk about it.

Fwiw, no Garland, no Windom, no Josie...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rex Mason

Post by Rex Mason »

Hey, this may have been addressed elsewhere already (and if so I apologize) but what do you guys think is the best way to stream Showtime? I was thinking of getting a Showtime subscription through Hulu. I want to make sure I'm getting the best quality possible.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rudagger wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
From my understanding, it's 18 parts, an hour each. Just on certain nights they're playing two back-to-back (i.e., first week, Parts 1 + 2) rather than actual two hour long episodes. 3+4 are streaming after 1/2 on the same night (and I *think* that means that 3/4 are airing the next week? Unless they intend on people who binge to then wait 3 weeks for a new episode), and I would assume that the final night would have two parts? I assume that's probably due to them being structure less as episodes (meaning, why not just split them up evenly if it makes no extra trouble, so that in the future they can be played back one at a time rather than forcing a two hour playback). I'm not sure though, it makes my head hurt a bit in terms of the nomenclature they've been using.
I could be wrong but I get the feeling Lynch has edited 1&2 and 3&4 together. I notice Showtime lists these together on their episode guide. Otherwise they should have separate entries?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

It can be tempting to read too much into what's included or excluded. Basically it's designed to say "hey, remember this cool show you watched 25 years ago? Here's the gist of it as a refresher plus a few highlights and iconic moments. It's happening again."
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
I could be wrong but I get the feeling Lynch has edited 1&2 and 3&4 together. I notice Showtime lists these together on their episode guide. Otherwise they should have separate entries?
I think 1&2 are edited together as a movie but 3 and four are stand alones..... if I remember right.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Rex Mason wrote:Hey, this may have been addressed elsewhere already (and if so I apologize) but what do you guys think is the best way to stream Showtime? I was thinking of getting a Showtime subscription through Hulu. I want to make sure I'm getting the best quality possible.
From a picture quality standpoint, I doubt there'd be much difference. Pretty much all streaming platforms are in high-grade HD these days. Although I think you might have a wait a bit longer to get access to the episodes if you subscribe via Hulu. Showtime's app allows you to watch new episodes as they're airing. For Hulu, I think you have to wait for the episodes to be uploaded to the library, which might be extra hour or two (any Hulu subscribers feel free to correct me).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

adl345 wrote:
Rex Mason wrote:Hey, this may have been addressed elsewhere already (and if so I apologize) but what do you guys think is the best way to stream Showtime? I was thinking of getting a Showtime subscription through Hulu. I want to make sure I'm getting the best quality possible.
From a picture quality standpoint, I doubt there'd be much difference. Pretty much all streaming platforms are in high-grade HD these days. Although I think you might have a wait a bit longer to get access to the episodes if you subscribe via Hulu. Showtime's app allows you to watch new episodes as they're airing. For Hulu, I think you have to wait for the episodes to be uploaded to the library, which might be extra hour or two (any Hulu subscribers feel free to correct me).
I think that used to be true, but now you can LiveStream on Hulu just as with the Showtime app
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I get it through my cable package's Showtime HBO combo. That also gives me access to showtime on demand and Showtime online. I have no complaints.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'm planning to purchase the Amazon Prime add-on for Showtime, as it says it includes streaming. Anybody know if Amazon Prime's Showtime add-on would include immediate access to hours 3 & 4 or not until the following week?
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Always nice to be reminded that Twin Peaks fanboys can be just as insufferable as those of Star Wars, Batman, or any other nerd stuff. WAAAAH! THEY ARE GIVING US NOTHING (except 18 new hours of Twin Peaks we never expected, but WAAAAH)!

I'm not too worried about Kyle's comments about Lynch shooting on the fly. He shot five hours of FWWM in about 20 minutes.

I don't think it's reading too much into the trailer to note that LMFAP isn't in it but the Jumping Man is. That didn't happen by accident.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
They do have separate entries in addition to the combined ones, presumably for later weeks when they'll be aired as single hours:
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/1
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/2
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thanks. I just hope we find out before how they will be transmitted. Makes it hard to plan out the episode discussion ;)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Jerry Horne wrote:Thanks. I just hope we find out before how they will be transmitted. Makes it hard to plan out the episode discussion ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it like Mad Men. Some of the later seasons started with two episodes back-to-back but with no ending credits or opening titles between the two halves. If you paid attention you could tell where one episode ended and the next began, but they made them flow fairly smoothly. On the DVD and in later airings they were treated as two separate episodes. Of course, AMC has commercial breaks which helped to mask the transition. Not sure how Showtime will handle it!