NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I do wonder how loosely they're using the term "femme fatale." It undeniably applies to Arquette in her "Alice" persona, and arguably Watts as Diane (she doesn't fit the classic archetype, but she certainly ended up being fatal to Camilla!). However, I don't view any of Dern's pre-TP Lynch roles as particularly femme fatale-ish. I guess a case could be made for both Lula and Sue, but both are stretching the definition to breaking point IMO. Wondering if the presence of Gates and Bell is any sort of a hint as to what sorts of characters they'll play.
My guess is "very very loosely to the point of nonsense", as is often the case. But it's worth noting that all returning actresses have been dressed in a way that suggests their most iconic Lynchian character. So I wonder if the clothes of Gates and Bell may offer some kind of hint.

ETA love love LOVE the video interview!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Who is Hailey Gates again?
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

The actual article doesn't mention anything about femme fatales.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Who is Hailey Gates again?
Hailey Gates is an American model, actress, and journalist. She currently hosts the Viceland series, States of Undress.

:lol:
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Cool. She seems sweet. And part of S3 I imagine?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Panapaok »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Cool. She seems sweet. And part of S3 I imagine?
Yes, she's in the cast list.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Panapaok wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Cool. She seems sweet. And part of S3 I imagine?
Yes, she's in the cast list.
Awesome
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Twink Peaks wrote:
That's so great. I love Hailey Gates' little tidbits about her scene in Twin Peaks.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Worth noting, I did a look up on the WGA app, and David Lynch does seem to be a member. It's not a huge deal for a show so far along as Peaks (Game of Thrones Season 8 should be writing right now..) but could pose some problems if Lynch is trying to do last minute rewrites, or alter dialogue while looping in post. Probably nothing to be majorly worried about, but thought it was worth noting, as WGA members aren't allowed to touch anything in terms of writing once the strike starts on the first of May.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rudagger wrote:Worth noting, I did a look up on the WGA app, and David Lynch does seem to be a member. It's not a huge deal for a show so far along as Peaks (Game of Thrones Season 8 should be writing right now..) but could pose some problems if Lynch is trying to do last minute rewrites, or alter dialogue while looping in post. Probably nothing to be majorly worried about, but thought it was worth noting, as WGA members aren't allowed to touch anything in terms of writing once the strike starts on the first of May.
That's ridiculous. How would they know if he did make any changes, though? So much of what he does isn't on the page anyway.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Rudagger wrote:Worth noting, I did a look up on the WGA app, and David Lynch does seem to be a member. It's not a huge deal for a show so far along as Peaks (Game of Thrones Season 8 should be writing right now..) but could pose some problems if Lynch is trying to do last minute rewrites, or alter dialogue while looping in post. Probably nothing to be majorly worried about, but thought it was worth noting, as WGA members aren't allowed to touch anything in terms of writing once the strike starts on the first of May.
This is sort of scaring me -- what exactly would constitute strike violation? Lynch is so outside of the orthodox that if anyone is hit by some oddly specific caveat when no one else would, it would be him -- I mean, one could say his entire technique lies in spur of the moment reworking. Does this mean pick-up shots such as the hand with the ring in the train-car in FWWM would be a no-no? What happens in that case, then, the show is delayed?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I don't think it matters what one does in post-production. The problem is for those who are in the writing process.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LateReg wrote:
That's ridiculous. How would they know if he did make any changes, though? So much of what he does isn't on the page anyway.
Unions work explicitly because everyone is involved. If big name directors start writing, it defeats the purpose (as they have an incredible amount of leverage).
Panapaok wrote:I don't think it matters what one does in post-production. The problem is for those who are in the writing process.
It's all writing. Whether it's sitting down writing the initial script, on-set rewrites (Daniel Craig infamously had to help write Quantum of Solace with the director while shooting, as their WGA writers weren't allowed to), or changing lines in post. They can get actors, non-WGA personal (a sound person, a producer, a grip, whoever) to alter scripts.

I'm not sure how it works for pick-up shots, such as inserts. I would imagine there's some leeway where if it was already in the scene itself, and you want to go back and shoot an insert, that probably is already constituted as written. If you're going back an adding a scene though, or dialogue to a scene, that would constitute writing (as it wasn't already present in the script).
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Hmm, that will certainly cause problems to many projects. Mark Frost is probably a member of the WGA too. At this point, I'd guess that post-production on Twin Peaks is mostly focused on the sound department, although Lynch might be tinkering with other aspects too.