NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

Set photography vs. filmed scene. Methinks the finished product will look just fine. Mighty fine. Perhaps, even damn fine.
Hawk Comparison.jpg
Hawk Comparison.jpg (155.56 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
I suggest we focus more on what we're being shown rather than how we think it looks. We're being given messages, after all.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Ever since I heard that Lynch chose the Amira over the Alexa, and saw those first few environmental shots, I've had this suspicious feeling that he was aiming for a documentary style digital look (not that I know much at all about cameras but I heard the Amira's popular among documentary filmmakers).

I've been one of the most zealous proponents of the film look of the original on this board but I really like the honesty of this picture. They're not trying to pretend that digital is something it isn't. I have a feeling it will contribute to the realness and could very well help us get under the skin of the characters better (it's almost like I'm already experiencing that effect). I really like it and I'm really looking forward to the end result.
misterroundheels

Post by misterroundheels »

I assume they chose the Amira because it has a native 16:9 sensor, and since it's smaller and lighter than the Alexa, it's more suited to the sort of quick handheld set-ups Lynch liked so much when shooting Inland Empire.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I was an initial skeptic when I saw that first Cooper teaser, but with the new teaser I'm really pleased with the look. The shift to a more documentary style look, as some have noticed, feels like a bold move - it feels good.
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

Skærmbillede 2017-05-05 kl. 20.15.40.png
Skærmbillede 2017-05-05 kl. 20.15.40.png (345.32 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
Uhm, anybody clicked on this? Seems weird.
brett

Post by brett »

Fashion Suicide wrote:Skærmbillede 2017-05-05 kl. 20.15.40.png Uhm, anybody clicked on this? Seems weird.
It looks like a fake account with the same name and photo. If you click their YouTube profile, it goes to an empty channel.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Pretty much guaranteed to be malicious. I wouldn't open that.
I'll see you in the trees
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

Ah yeah, i didn't even check the channel. Stupid as i am, i clicked and it started loading something, but i closed right away. Sure don't hope whatever it is made it's way to my computer.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

DirkG wrote:Ever since I heard that Lynch chose the Amira over the Alexa, and saw those first few environmental shots, I've had this suspicious feeling that he was aiming for a documentary style digital look (not that I know much at all about cameras but I heard the Amira's popular among documentary filmmakers).

I've been one of the most zealous proponents of the film look of the original on this board but I really like the honesty of this picture. They're not trying to pretend that digital is something it isn't. I have a feeling it will contribute to the realness and could very well help us get under the skin of the characters better (it's almost like I'm already experiencing that effect). I really like it and I'm really looking forward to the end result.
The Amira is pretty much the same camera as the Alexa tho, just smaller and less bulk. I'd be surprised if the image was noticeably different.

Anyway, I'm happy with whatever new looks we're given.
brett

Post by brett »

With the premiere quickly approaching, what are all of your plans for the big night?

I don't drink coffee, but I'm thinking it would be lot of fun to bake a cherry pie to eat during it. :D I think it'll just be my partner and me, as I'm not sure being around a group while watching them the first time would be ideal.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

After much thought:

Pie > Donuts

& coffee.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 11.57.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 11.57.30 AM.png (403.81 KiB) Viewed 8666 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

brett wrote:With the premiere quickly approaching, what are all of your plans for the big night?

I don't drink coffee, but I'm thinking it would be lot of fun to bake a cherry pie to eat during it. :D I think it'll just be my partner and me, as I'm not sure being around a group while watching them the first time would be ideal.
I'll be watching with just my partner as well (assuming I've caught her up by then -- we're in the "Denise era," but with both our hectic schedules, I'm not sure we'll be able to finish. If worse comes to worst, I might skip her ahead to Episode 29 and FWWM, and go back for the rest later). Lynch's works are deeply personal for me, so on a first viewing, having one other trusted person there is about my limit in terms of being social.

She'll probably have cherry pie, but I find eating a distraction when I want to be really focused-in on something. Maybe I'll have a slice between Parts. Definitely coffee, though. Like Coop, I try to limit my after-dinner consumption, but considering that I'll be getting four hours of new footage and an inevitable winding-down period of 2-3 hours after it's all over (during which my mind will no doubt be reeling), I think it'll be harmless to have a couple cups of deep black java during the first couple hours. :D
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

brett wrote:With the premiere quickly approaching, what are all of your plans for the big night?

Back in the day, every week was a viewing party with a group of fluctuating size from college and work. It was a big deal for us.

Now, 26 years later, I've been extended an invitation to a private premier party here in the L.A. area that could very well turn out to be a big deal. However, I'm also a parent of two kids (12 and 14) who are now rabid Peaks fans, and it's a school night for them. The party host plans to start watching the show at 9pm and watch all four parts, which won't work because that wouldn't end any sooner than 2am. If I watch it with just my family at home we can start at 6pm (love you, DirecTV) and still shuffle the kids off to Buffalo at a reasonable hour, but we'd miss a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch new Twin Peaks with people who are involved with the show on various levels.

I can't stand the fact that this is even a decision I have to make. Curse you, bitter irony. But one way or the other, it's new Twin Peaks and that's what matters most to me.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I initially thought the idea of a group setting/watch party was a good idea. I have backed away from that now. All it takes is one negative comment from one person to tarnish the whole experience. And there are a lot of Debbie Downers out there just looking to ruin a good time.

I will watch with my wife, but if the new series is as dark as I suspect, not sure how long she will last.

For me, Twin Peaks is a spiritual experience, so I will drink wine (most likely red wine, like they do in religious sacraments). I don't drink very much anymore, but I had red wine 26 years ago during the series finale, and it pushed the experience to the next level.

As for cherry pie and donuts- I try to live and eat healthy, like Ben Horne after his Civil War experience. A big 'Nyet' to cherry pie and donuts.

However, I would not rule out a smoked cheese pig (with some crackers) to have with my wine...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly