NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

baxter wrote:Mordeen- the solution to your party dilemma is obvious. Take the kids, skip school the next day! These things don't happen very often, and you won't care at all about this is a years time. Life > school (and I say this as a university lecturer).
I wish it was so simple. I hope we can make an appearance at the party and leave early. That seems like the best case scenario.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Corbin wrote:Anyone else get a vibe off of Coop that he's learning about something horrific he's done ?
Cooper is not worried about that, it's something he's watching. Is a scene known by the people of this forum
Even though I am in the know, I still cant really read Cooper in that shot.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:I wonder if Carl Rodd is looking up at power lines and noticing an electrical disturbance
I wonder the same thing
Ridiculously, after 26 years, it only occurred to me yesterday that the herringbone floors of the waiting room and black lodge look like TV interference! :lol:
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

I just hooked up a new sound bar to my TV - first time ever, but with 18 hours of Lynchian sound design on the way, this is the time. Hell, I'm not even sure my TV is big enough so I may end up getting a new one sometime in the next two weeks. It's almost 10 years old, so...

And definitely watching the premiere alone, maintaining radio silence - no Twitter, no forum, nothing. I have access to the Showtime online screener site, being one of those hated TV critic types (around these parts, anyway), so there's a slight possibility I'll get it a day or two early. But I doubt it.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Anybody have any recommendations for color calibration on my tv? I don't have the best set but I want to make it shine for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I hope every fan pauses for a bit to soak in the next couple weeks. Some of us have been huge fans of Twin Peaks for nearly three decades. We have all been perfectly happy for years with the Peaks that we had. All that is about to change. Everything we thought we have always known about Twin Peaks is most likely going to be turned on its head; for better or for worse.

This is not meant as a word of warning, I'm sure Lynch will give us something great, but everything we have loved for the last 25 years will be different.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Hockey Mask wrote:I hope every fan pauses for a bit to soak in the next couple weeks. Some of us have been huge fans of Twin Peaks for nearly three decades. We have all been perfectly happy for years with the Peaks that we had. All that is about to change. Everything we thought we have always known about Twin Peaks is most likely going to be turned on its head; for better or for worse.

This is not meant as a word of warning, I'm sure Lynch will give us something great, but everything we have loved for the last 25 years will be different.
It's something I've brought up and just thought about a bunch, and I don't think it can be stressed enough. Someone the other day said something akin to the characters having been trapped in amber -- and that's such a good way to put it -- and soon they're going to be shattered open.
underthefan wrote:What? Blueberry?? How dare you, sir!! :lol:
Believe me, I'm from [redacted] and I wish I had cherries! But sadly the town I'm in for the moment, just is devoid of fresh pie cherries, and fresh for those are really the only way to go. Similarly I'd hoped to make huckleberry muffins but those are out the window too.

All this talk of butter-brie sandwiches has convinced me to do the same. :)
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Calderon wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Everybody looks worried!

All teases have been pretty dark people!!
The season is going to be very very dark. The Teasers are shown. is not a comedy.
Please let this be true.
The Gordon Cole teaser has a comedic vibe to it. I'm sure it's gonna get quirky aswell as dark.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Platypus2000 wrote:
Calderon wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
The season is going to be very very dark. The Teasers are shown. is not a comedy.
Please let this be true.
The Gordon Cole teaser has a comedic vibe to it. I'm sure it's gonna get quirky aswell as dark.
Laura Dern herself said the new series will be both dark and hilarious.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Seeing FWWM tomorrow for the first time in the theatre , it's a midnight showing in Minneapolis and I'm already tired just thinking about it haha ! What do I have to look forward to for those who have seen it on the big screen ?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I've started to wonder recently if the new series is going to change how we view the older one. If the new series is mind blowing and game changing, will the first two seasons seem antiquated and clunky?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

Jerry Horne wrote:I've started to wonder recently if the new series is going to change how we view the older one. If the new series is mind blowing and game changing, will the first two seasons seem antiquated and clunky?
I've been thinking about this a lot myself lately. I feel (and with nervous excitement, fear) that the new season may turn the old ones on their head so to say in a major way... But that will be a good thing I think, even if it repurposes/re-contextualizes the original.... Still though in turn even thinking about that is massively shocking so yeah... Time will tell! And by time I mean 16 days!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jerry Horne wrote:I've started to wonder recently if the new series is going to change how we view the older one. If the new series is mind blowing and game changing, will the first two seasons seem antiquated and clunky?
For me, personally, the original run of Twin Peaks already is antiquated and clunky. Don't get me wrong, it has it's charms due to that, but, the inconsistent quality in the series toward the end, the 4:3 frame (when compared to Fire Walk With Me, it really emphasizes a difference), the sometimes painfully 90s visual effects, so, I'm not sure how much it'll change how I view the original in that regard, as it has always felt to me (a viewer who watched it long after it aired) as a work made in a very specific era.

My real worry is an odder one, and sort of an inevitability; when something is closed off or ended, it really makes reviewing it less interesting, as there isn't anything to speculate on anymore (beyond just analyzing the text itself). It makes me think of how routinely with movie trilogies, like Lord of the Rings, I'd wear out the VHS tape on The Two Towers while waiting for Return of the King. But, after Return of the King came out, I was far less interested simply because the cliffhanger was finally resolved. Or how aggressively I rewatched Breaking Bad leading up to the final 8 episodes .. only to have maybe rewatched it once since then. So, I wonder how the fanbase will be affected given that I'd assume a large part of it's fervour is due to the pain of the unresolved cliffhanger.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Mistertom wrote:Seeing FWWM tomorrow for the first time in the theatre , it's a midnight showing in Minneapolis and I'm already tired just thinking about it haha ! What do I have to look forward to for those who have seen it on the big screen ?
Should be very loud and very rich in color. Just saw it last week in Chicago, it was utterly captivating the whole way through. An assault on the senses.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Well, I got a nice little present tonight when attending BAM Rose Cinemas, the great arthouse/repertory theater in the Brooklyn Academy of Music. During ads before the film (ugh, remember when they didn't have those?), one clip started with the familiar green and brown lettering coming up on a black screen, reading "Before Men Were Mad," and I sat up straight and I think I actually muttered, "No way!" It continued in that vein for a few more iterations... "Before Thrones Played Games," "Before Bad Was Broken," etc. Then the theme came up and "Twin Peaks" and "new episodes starting Sunday, May 21..." etc., ending with the familiar "Sho" logo and that faint backwards "zzzup" sound like all the teasers so far.

I'd wondered once or twice if we would see any previews in theaters, but I really was not expecting that! I was slightly disappointed by the lack of response among the decent-sized audience - a couple murmurs here and there, that's all.

Anyone else seen anything like that? I wonder how widely they're distributing that teaser.