NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by eyeboogers »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Nighttime, all the creators i mentioned are showrunners/executive producers - which means that do have completely control over all aspects of production. How every single aspect of an episode looks and sounds.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean nearly as much "complete control" as an auteur in film. Or more like not nearly as much complete investment and active directing. More like saying others what to do, than doing it themself. More of an entrepeneur or boss than an artist on all other aspects than the writing.
At the end of the day the auteur theory is about a creator who has a level of control that is simular to that of a literary writer. This is the case for the TV-auteur. Basically my point is that distribution formats and production methods have changed a lot since Truffaut's day. Hollywood's warped focus on the director being the creator rather than the writer (which then spread to the rest of the world), has been highly detrimental to the quality of films in general. This is why TV has become the home for actual cinematic storytelling of high quality. Putting the writer/creator back in control over plot as well as aesthetics. Let's move forwards not backwards.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Thanks for this TwinkPeaks. I'm learning French at the moment, so this was a more interesting read than the usual exercises!

My rubbish translation is something like the following:

Le 21 mai, une nouvelle saison de Twin Peaks va démarrer, dont vous avez signé tous les épisodes. Les deux premiers seront montrés au Festival de Cannes. Tout est sous embargo, personne ou presque, en dehors de vous, ne sait quoi que ce soit sur ce retour de Twin Peaks, vingt-cinq ans après. Dans quel état d'esprit êtes-vous, à quatre semaines de ce retour ?

On the 21st May, a new season of Twin Peaks will start, where you have directed all the episodes. The two first ones will be shown at the Cannes festival. All is under emargo, nobody or almost nobody, outside of you, knows what will bee in the return to Twin Peaks, 25 years later. In what state of mind are you, 4 weeks before the return?

Je me sens absolument bien. Oui, je suis dans un bon état d'esprit. (Silence.)

I feel absolutely well. Yes. I am in a good state of mind.

Pas même un peu de nervosité ?

Not even a little bit nervous?

Non. Quand quelque chose est fini, il ne vous appartient plus. J'ai tout contrôlé jusqu'ici, mais là, ce n'est bientôt plus à moi. Je n'ai plus le contrôle. Je ne sais pas ce qui va se passer. C'est comme ça. Ce n'est pas terrorisant. C'est toujours la même chose.

No. When something is finished, it no long belongs to you. I have had all the control until now, but now it is no longer mine. I no long have control. I do not know what will happen. It is like that. It is not terrifying. It is always the same thing.

N'y a-t-il pas une pression différente, cette fois ? Vous n'avez pas sorti de films depuis Inland Empire (2006), et il y a une telle attente, un tel fanatisme autour de Twin Peaks que ça doit rajouter à la pression, non ?

Is there not a different pressure this time? You have not released any films since Inland Empire, and there is such expectation, such fanaticism around Twin Peaks that must add pressure, no?

Non, c'est toujours la même chose. C'est toujours le même sentiment. Mais... je ne veux pas parler de Twin Peaks. Parlons plutôt de Donna . (Rires.)

No, it is always the same thing. It is always the same feeling. But, I don't want to talk about Twin Peaks. I would rather speak of Donna (laughs) (NOTE: not the Donna in Twin Peaks!).
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

baxter wrote:I've always been amazed at how the great British sitcom writers could simply churn out amazing episodes for 5 seasons without apparently blinking. Then write 4 more sitcoms for good measure. Having 6 episode seasons obviously helps. The American tradition of 22-24 episode seasons seems guaranteed to generate filler.
Yes, long seasons makes it a lot harder for the auteurish writers and (if I may say so) "true auteurs" to make TV fiction. The 8-10 hour season format with closed endings between seasons seems ideal for writer-directors in TV if they want to try a longer format than film but also have as much creative control as in ideal film projects.
eyeboogers wrote:
NightTimeMyTime wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Nighttime, all the creators i mentioned are showrunners/executive producers - which means that do have completely control over all aspects of production. How every single aspect of an episode looks and sounds.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean nearly as much "complete control" as an auteur in film. Or more like not nearly as much complete investment and active directing. More like saying others what to do, than doing it themself. More of an entrepeneur or boss than an artist on all other aspects than the writing.
At the end of the day the auteur theory is about a creator who has a level of control that is simular to that of a literary writer. This is the case for the TV-auteur. Basically my point is that distribution formats and production methods have changed a lot since Truffaut's day. Hollywood's warped focus on the director being the creator rather than the writer (which then spread to the rest of the world), has been highly detrimental to the quality of films in general. This is why TV has become the home for actual cinematic storytelling of high quality. Putting the writer/creator back in control over plot as well as aesthetics. Let's move forwards not backwards.
Yeah, but my perspective of an auteur - in film and in TV, is a creator of both writing AND directing and the other key aspects of the production (editing, sound, cinematography, music) if possible. To me it's not the director's control over the writer or the writer's control over the director, but an auteur to me are both writer and director. Moving pictures with sound are not only created by words from paper, so to me a writer in TV or film cannot be a true auteur. When I experience movies and series I look at the writing, the cinematography, the sound, the direction, the acting, the editing. If one person did form almost every one of these aspects of a film or TV series, then it is an auteur. To me. It's not the writing that is the key to me. It comes first, but it's only one aspect. An auteur controls more or less all aspects to the level of the writer of a book, yes. A TV writer doesn't, because of all the other creative aspects of a TV series. He/she needs to be there with his/her own creative hands to create on the other aspects too.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

baxter wrote:
No, it is always the same thing. It is always the same feeling. But, I don't want to talk about Twin Peaks. I would rather speak of Donna (laughs) (NOTE: not the Donna in Twin Peaks!).
Oh, what a twist if it really *was* Donna Hayward he wanted to talk about! :P
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

haha. We'll soon find out I guess.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

dreamshake wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Eater of Iguanas wrote:Well, I got a nice little present tonight when attending BAM Rose Cinemas, the great arthouse/repertory theater in the Brooklyn Academy of Music. During ads before the film (ugh, remember when they didn't have those?), one clip started with the familiar green and brown lettering coming up on a black screen, reading "Before Men Were Mad," and I sat up straight and I think I actually muttered, "No way!" It continued in that vein for a few more iterations... "Before Thrones Played Games," "Before Bad Was Broken," etc. Then the theme came up and "Twin Peaks" and "new episodes starting Sunday, May 21..." etc., ending with the familiar "Sho" logo and that faint backwards "zzzup" sound like all the teasers so far.
Has anyone else seen this? It sounds kinda tacky -- while TP was undeniably an influence on many modern auteur-show runners (Weiner has said as much, and I think Gilligan has too), it's kind of lazy to trade on that. It also feels distinctly un-Lynchian. Still, it's nice to hear they're advertising in theaters. Just wish they'd show something like the "familiar faces"' teaser instead.
That spot is definitely the goofiest promo I've seen for the show. It's so corny.
Man, folks are hard to please around here!

Yeah, I suppose it is a bit corny, but that hadn't occurred to me. I was just excited to see them promoting it in such a venue.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

baxter wrote:The American tradition of 22-24 episode seasons seems guaranteed to generate filler.
Heh, as we saw in a certain Lynch/Frost series that is the subject of this very forum.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

baxter wrote:"But, I don't want to talk about Twin Peaks."
In fact, we're not gonna talk about Twin Peaks at all. We're gonna leave Twin Peaks out of it!

(Thanks for the translation, Baxter. I might try one myself in my rusty college French… but not tonight.)
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

I've almost convinced myself that the new series will start with a Log Lady intro and that will be the last we see of her. Actually, I think I dreamed it last night. "My time in Twin Peaks is at an end. But Twin Peaks has one more story. My log has something to tell you."
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I have a feeling whatever footage we get of Catherine coulson is just going to send me straight into hsyterics .
MulhollandSilencio

Post by MulhollandSilencio »

This question might be dumb, but...

I'm gonna be out of town in Utah when this premieres, if I turn Showtime on in my hotel room at 7 pm (9 pm EST), will this be on? Or do you think they'll wait to air it at 9 pm local time? If the latter is the case (it must be, right?), will the episode be immediately available on Showtime Anytime at 9 pm EST so I can watch it immediately at 7 pm local time on my computer?

Thanks!!
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

eyeboogers wrote: Hollywood's warped focus on the director being the creator rather than the writer (which then spread to the rest of the world), has been highly detrimental to the quality of films in general. This is why TV has become the home for actual cinematic storytelling of high quality. Putting the writer/creator back in control over plot as well as aesthetics. Let's move forwards not backwards.
The real reason Hollywood films are bad is that studio heads and the producers that do their bidding are in charge, not the power given to directors. Give auteurial control to the writers of Transformers and the work won't be any better. It would probably also be aesthetically worse - if a writer isn't directing today it's probably because they're not interested in that side of the craft.
These days, Hollywood doesn't tend to celebrate or reward directors who are focused on picking good scripts or getting the most out of the story and performances. They eleevate people who produce work exactly as mindless as they'd like it to be. Storytelling has never been more corporate.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The cheesy teaser is now online
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Moving Through Time. . .