NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

krishnanspace wrote:The cheesy teaser is now online
It may be cheesy but it tells a truth:

Every one of those shows bends a knee to Twin Peaks. Pretty soon they'll all be groveling in the face of it.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:Yeah, I suppose it is a bit corny, but that hadn't occurred to me. I was just excited to see them promoting it in such a venue.
I agree, but I wish they'd used one of the several existing spots. If I weren't already a fan of Peaks and Lynch, and I saw that spot in the theater, I think it would leave me a bit cold. In addition to the corny attempted wordplay (and shameless attempt to piggy-back on unrelated properties -- what the hell do TP and TWD have in common?!), there's an implicit message, "We did prestige drama first!" as if that automatically is some sort of guarantee of quality. While I personally (as a huge Lynch fan) believe that The Return is going to surpass the original in terms of quality, and may well set a new bar for TV drama, the message of that ad is essentially, "We came first, we have bragging rights." If I were a potential new viewer, I would find that approach smug. Show me something -- footage from the old show, the new show, something -- to prove your case, and let me be the judge. On the other hand, I think the "Familiar Faces" ad on the big screen would have been beautiful and might have made more than a few converts. C'est la vie.
eyeboogers wrote:Hollywood's warped focus on the director being the creator rather than the writer (which then spread to the rest of the world), has been highly detrimental to the quality of films in general. This is why TV has become the home for actual cinematic storytelling of high quality. Putting the writer/creator back in control over plot as well as aesthetics. Let's move forwards not backwards.
I think if you were to compare the Lynch-directed episodes of TP to the scripts, you would rejoice that the director took ample liberties. Writers can get a bit caught up in their mental bubbles, losing sight of the reality of how actions will look when executed or lines will sound when delivered (I say that as a words man first and foremost myself). Film is a visual medium, and it makes sense in many cases for the director to be king. Having said that, I do think it's lousy that writers are so often treated as third-class citizens, and that their contributions tend to be under-sung in Hollywood. But, as Lynch has said many times, a script is a blueprint -- not meant to be read on its own, except as a scholarly exercise or out of curiosity/super-fandom.

Ultimately, I don't think there's any perfect formula vis a vis writer vs. director. It depends on the project. Certainly, shows like Deadwood, Mad Men and Breaking Bad benefited enormously from writer-driven models where every letter of the scripts was meticulously honored. Perhaps film could benefit from more of that approach. Conversely, it might be interesting to see more (quality) director-driven television -- and, all respect to Mark Frost, I am fairly certain TP:TR is going to be just that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Who approved that?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Wow, that was terrible.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Before sex had masters, before things were strange, before houses had cards, shields had agents, the owls were not what they seemed
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Before this teaser was made, I respected Showtime more.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

The Jumping Man wrote:I've almost convinced myself that the new series will start with a Log Lady intro and that will be the last we see of her. Actually, I think I dreamed it last night. "My time in Twin Peaks is at an end. But Twin Peaks has one more story. My log has something to tell you."
So perfect I'd have chills for days if it turned out that way.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Kinda funny that Showtime didn't include any of their own shows in there. I guess it would be tough to riff on Dexter, Homeland, and The Affair.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I'd probably add Atlanta and definitely add Young Pope to the auteur driven list. Master of None and Stranger Things gets pretty close as well, but has more writer room credits on eps as well as directors. Directors rotate on shows primarily for scheduling reasons, it's uncommon that you can have one person direct the whole season but it's happening more now.

TV has however had showrunners acting like film directors on shows for quite some time. They end up being the main painter in most cases even if the shows had many directors. So I think you can find current shows which are made with similar singular vision and creative control. But if the criteria is being involved inside and out in the show than I'd say Young Pope definitely goes up there with some of the aforementioned shows (Louie, Mr Robot).
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Before wires existed
Before X's were filed
Befores homes landed
Before fires flied
Before the's sopranoed
Before unders were six feeted
Before wood was deaded
Before dexes terred
Before bands were brothered
Before wings were wested
Before shields shielded
Before wives gooded
Before things strangered
Before lights Friday-nighted
Before walk-empires boarded
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I get why they want to make this point but seriously??

Those puzzle teasers seem less lame now.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

I don't like that trailer so much because it's ego-driven. I don't want to feel good for Twin Peaks based on comparisons and other things than Twin Peaks. It's too much ego looking around and to little focused on what should be in focus.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

adl345 wrote:Before wires existed
Before X's were filed
Befores homes landed
Before fires flied
Before the's sopranoed
Before wood was deaded
Before dexes terred
Before wings were wested
Before shields shielded
Before wives gooded
Before things strangered
Someone should do these kind of teasers! :lol: It's very easy to copy the minimalist title-based style.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

adl345 wrote:Before wires existed
Before X's were filed
Befores homes landed
Before fires flied
Before the's sopranoed
Before wood was deaded
Before dexes terred
Before wings were wested
Before shields shielded
Before wives gooded
Before things strangered
''There were actual teasers''
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."