NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I don't get why you all got your knickers in a twist about that promo. It just tells like it is. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious facts.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

crazyscottishguy wrote:I don't get why you all got your knickers in a twist about that promo. It just tells like it is. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious facts.
Thank you.

First it was "Booooo they're not showing any new footage!" Then we got two teasers in the span of a week with new footage and it was "Booooo the color is off, and it doesn't look like film."

So we got another filler ad that doesn't reveal anything new. Big deal. We're getting things and it's almost exactly two weeks away. I wonder what the next big disappointment will be for what has been shaping up to be the most fickle and practically ungrateful fan base on the planet.

Sheesh.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mordeen wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:I don't get why you all got your knickers in a twist about that promo. It just tells like it is. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious facts.
Thank you.

First it was "Booooo they're not showing any new footage!" Then we got two teasers in the span of a week with new footage and it was "Booooo the color is off, and it doesn't look like film."

So we got another filler ad that doesn't reveal anything new. Big deal. We're getting things and it's almost exactly two weeks away. I wonder what the next big disappointment will be for what has been shaping up to be the most fickle and practically ungrateful fan base on the planet.

Sheesh.

-Mordeen
I dunno. I think most of us here are fans of the show and want marketing to put the best foot forward to entice new viewers. That's just straight up a bad video, it feels really .. petty. And the word play is really uninspired/borderline nonsensical ("Before thrones played games" .. really?). I'd roll my eyes as much if they had a Don LaFontaine impersonator give a "In a world where .." trailer for Twin Peaks. People were complimentary of the ones with footage, even the ones that just remixed old ones. And no one said 'Booooo the color is off, and it doesn't look like film', you're intentionally oversimplifying good back and forth discussions people, myself included, were having.

There's nothing wrong with being critical on a forum, it doesn't make us ungrateful. It's called discussing the topics at hand. If you don't want a part in the discussion then don't comment.

No one is obligated to like every thing that comes out related to Twin Peaks, Lynch, or Showtime and it doesn't make us ungrateful fans.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Nothing wrong with laughing at a bad promo.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rudagger wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Thank you.

Sheesh.

-Mordeen
I dunno. I think most of us here are fans of the show and want marketing to put the best foot forward to entice new viewers. That's just straight up a bad video, it feels really .. petty. And the word play is really uninspired/borderline nonsensical ("Before thrones played games" .. really?). I'd roll my eyes as much if they had a Don LaFontaine impersonator give a "In a world where .." trailer for Twin Peaks. People were complimentary of the ones with footage, even the ones that just remixed old ones. And no one said 'Booooo the color is off, and it doesn't look like film', you're intentionally oversimplifying good back and forth discussions people, myself included, were having.

There's nothing wrong with being critical on a forum, it doesn't make us ungrateful. It's called discussing the topics at hand. If you don't want a part in the discussion then don't comment.

No one is obligated to like every thing that comes out related to Twin Peaks, Lynch, or Showtime and it doesn't make us ungrateful fans.
100% this.

Not only is it bad, it follows an absolutely brilliant teaser.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Actually, how I experienced it, the last trailers reactions were 90% 'brilliant' and 10% 'color is terrible'. Of course, the a discussion does take up more space than a consensus of awesomeness.

Yes, there will be bitchin' and moanin' all the way through, but the majority of this forum is still <3 for TP. I honestly don't think I ever came across such a devoted fan base
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

It's not a good promo, but it's the closest we've gotten to comedy since the Cole footage. That's all I'm taking that to be... comedy. Get some don't like it, but it's also the least noteworthy from the press that's been bubbling up these last few days. Two more weeks of speculation and mystery then we can go bananas at New Twin Peaks.

Unfortunately for all of us(?) it looks like if it is even a little short from amazing, we will lose our shit... but that's okay!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Rudagger wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Thank you.

Sheesh.

-Mordeen

There are plenty of people looking for an excuse to complain. Of course there's nothing wrong with being critical. People seem to revel in it on forums. And I'll poke at them for not seeing the forest for the trees. Criticizing critics. It does come off as ungrateful after all the bitching that we weren't getting anything, especially when they're throwing out clues in the new footage and nobody seems to be paying attention. Goofing on a disappointing ad isn't a discussion.

I so badly want them to have the next teaser be a shot of Little Nicky the devil on Andy's shoulder, followed by a shot of Evelyn in her shades, cut to Ben waving the Confederate flag, wipe to Windom Earle eating a burger as a biker, and finish with JJW serenading Audrey at a picnic.
Just to twist people's shit up so tight they cry.

Bottom line: I get to complain about complainers as much as they get to complain about dissatisfaction with the marketing.

Also, seemingly unacknowledged twist: wasn't the collective wisdom that Lynch has final say on the marketing? Kinda makes one take a step back from that if this ad so so completely shitty, petty and unoriginal, don't it?

Hurry up 5/21.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Perfectly reasonable and intelligent people are going to find things they don't like in the coming weeks and will be speaking their minds. Best to get used to it now.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I think anyone is allowed to complain as much as they want.
Mordeen wrote:the most fickle and practically ungrateful fan base on the planet.
but do you actually experience it that way??
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Kids, stop fighting or I'll turn this car around.

The Stan Australia teaser linked a few pages above, with the pan across the trees and the slowed-down "Nightingale," has me fascinated. I'm crawling through it frame by frame to see if there really is someone behind the tree on the right just before the shot goes kablooey. But I'm pretty sure now that I'm making that up. Pretty creepy, in my opinion. At least while watched at home alone at night with earbuds in. I think if I were coming to this show as a newbie, that would pique my interest pretty effectively. Wonder if it'll get aired in the States.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Someone let their nephew loose in the promo department.

It really is uninspired. Having said that, it feels evil for fans to waste a feather of thought on it.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

As far as I remember, I was only grumpy when I realized how long it's been since the announcement and we haven't seen a second worth of new footage yet (well, sans the one with Cooper and the woods), only the old stuff. It made me question if what they're doing all these time is indeed new Twin Peaks (a half-joke there, don't let it ruffle your feathers). But since they've thrown us a couple of latest teasers - the "Locations" and the "Familiar Faces" one -, I'm perfectly content and sleeping like a baby :) My only wish now is that we get a tiny one with some of the "New Faces" before the premiere. But no biggie if we don't.
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

krishnanspace wrote:The cheesy teaser is now online
i love it :)
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Goofing on a disappointing ad isn't a discussion.
What if we instead goofed on the absurdity of this statement? Would that qualify as a discussion? It's important that we establish what is and isn't a discussion prior to the premiere. I'd hate it if I and bunch of posters were to start talking about something from the show only to subsequently find out we weren't in fact having a discussion.