NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think advertising for TP would be the easiest thing in the world. Two of the major qualities to the show and most of Lynch's work are mystery (with an emphasis on the sublime) and beautiful women. So the ads should focus on mysterious images and, if possible, some of the new actresses.

If they can't use any new imagery without Lynch's consent, then they should still approach the campaign as I said, just by revisiting old imagery.

Another fun approach would be to hire some contemporary artists or directors to create mysterious/strange spots for the show. Plenty of TP/Lynch fans out there would jump at the chance to participate in such a campaign.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I feel for Showtime in some ways as they have very little to go on - and by the sounds of it they've spent quite a bit of money on this thing. I think the 'Before Breaking was bad' trailer (or whatever it was) was a really bad one though. If anything people tend to be turned off by proclamations that old things are better than new. The live-tweeting stuff seems a bit cringey too (coupled with emojis, 'bromance' buzzwords etc, feeling generally like it's desperately trying to be hip).

But I must admit, I'm not really bothered about S3 being a hit. If it stays under the radar that's more than fine with me.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Honestly, a show featuring a lot of old people looking sad & depressed really excites me (in Lynch's hands).

Don't know what that says about me!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Snailhead wrote:Honestly, a show featuring a lot of old people looking sad & depressed really excites me (in Lynch's hands).

100% agree. the guy kills it when it comes to shooting sexy young women and craggy old people. Just the expressions/lighting in the "familiar faces" teaser conjure up feelings and worlds.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Don't know if this has been posted, but MacLachlan will be on the "Tonight Show" on Thursday. Does anyone have info about any other participants on talk shows?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Will he sip coffee? :)
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Maybe he will scott coffey.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

It also looks like Madchen Amick will be on CBS's "The Talk" this Friday.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

To play devil's advocate, I think Showtime has the entire prior work of TP to advertise, they've just done a subpar job of marketing, and not to mention some very uninspired merch to boot. We've already gotten more of an advance peek at S3 than the last few seasons of Mad Men... IMO-it's good to go in blind with few expectations of what it might be.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Snailhead wrote:Honestly, a show featuring a lot of old people looking sad & depressed really excites me (in Lynch's hands).

In a way, I know what you mean. We don't get a lot of shows with a big portion of characters over 50 years old, and we have so many talented actors in that age range who can't find jobs because audiences would rather see a younger cast on screen. Hopefully if TP S3 does well things can start to change.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:

In a way, I know what you mean. We don't get a lot of shows with a big portion of characters over 50 years old, and we have so many talented actors in that age range who can't find jobs because audiences would rather see a younger cast on screen. Hopefully if TP S3 does well things can start to change.
Speaking of HDS is 90, right? He must have lived a really healthy lifestyle to still be acting at that age.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

No pie and doughnuts, probably.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Whaat? I was away for a few days and there's, what, 30 new pages of the thread?!??!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Metamorphia wrote:I feel for Showtime in some ways as they have very little to go on - and by the sounds of it they've spent quite a bit of money on this thing. I think the 'Before Breaking was bad' trailer (or whatever it was) was a really bad one though. If anything people tend to be turned off by proclamations that old things are better than new. The live-tweeting stuff seems a bit cringey too (coupled with emojis, 'bromance' buzzwords etc, feeling generally like it's desperately trying to be hip).

But I must admit, I'm not really bothered about S3 being a hit. If it stays under the radar that's more than fine with me.
The social media obsession is one of the stupidest things about TV promotion these days. There is no real correlation between social media traffic and ratings. The vast mayority of tweets or whatever about TV shows are about "shipping" characters so shows that feature those kind of storylines will generate more tweets etc.
The concept of live tweeting is just puzzling. Why the hell would I want to be distracted by live tweets while watching the actual show? It's implicitly admitting the show is too weak to hold the audience's attention.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:

Actually the audiences have been quite receptive to actors/characters around and over 50 in the last few years. I think the writers have a lot of catching up to do to write for them in a way that gives them justice which doesn't always happen. A prime example is the horrendous writing Viola Davis has to deal with on her show.