NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by counterpaul »

AXX°N N. wrote: You confuse me when you say this because Amazon does offer a live stream. People don't need to wait 24-36 hrs. I think what you're saying is that people might have to wait to watch a quality version, but that depends on how well their internet connection handles the Amazon live stream. I tried out a few different live offerings tonight and the quality was just fine.

It sounds like you're using Roku to live stream from the Showtime website? Because you can't stream directly from Showtime's website; you have to pick some kind of device or service, like Amazon or Roku.
Sorry about any confusion. Yes, it is true that there is a Live TV option with the Amazon Showtime channel. I just wasn't satisfied with the quality--even with a very fast internet connection, I found the Live TV option generally poor and very inconsistent, using both the web interface and the Roku app. Sound and picture, as I was playing FWWM, both kept shifting between fairly mediocre but decent quality and downright crappy. This concerned me!

There's also the fact that the Live TV stream gives you fewer options. I know for sure that I won't want to wait 24-36 hours before my second viewing for example!

So, yes, with the Amazon channel, you'll have immediate access using the Live TV option but you'll have to wait for on-demand access. I would encourage people who are considering Amazon to get the free trial this week and try out the Live TV stream to see if they find it satisfactory, and keep in mind that it will be the only way to see each Part until Monday at best/Wednesday at worst each week.

I decided I don't want to be locked into that scenario--Twin Peaks in too important!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:No Mark Frost though. His lack of participation in promotion is really baffling. I'm not reading much into it, but I really would love to hear more from him, particularly once the show starts airing.
I find it rather baffling as well. He's been so silent. I was expecting him to be the voice of things when it came to promotion and talking about the new series. And yet we've heard almost nothing. Hopefully that changes. And more hopefully there isn't anything there to read into.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

firefly2193 wrote:What do people think we can read into the old fashioned phone in the scene with the half naked woman on the phone?

A hotel with old phones? Or a suggestion that the show may take place in multiple, dramatically different, time periods?
I get the vibe that Lynch just likes things to be a little old-fashioned. Arguably simpler and probably cooler. I have a reconditioned rotary dial landline in the house. It's a pain in the arse when dialling, you can't phone an automated service that requires touch tone answers and it could wake up half the town when it rings. But it looks so good so hey ho. The same idea with vinyl records and cigarettes. I can't see anyone vaping in Twin Peaks. Not saying smoking is cool in the slightest but it has a timeless aura to it that harks back to the golden era of Hollywood.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:No Mark Frost though. His lack of participation in promotion is really baffling. I'm not reading much into it, but I really would love to hear more from him, particularly once the show starts airing.
I find it rather baffling as well. He's been so silent. I was expecting him to be the voice of things when it came to promotion and talking about the new series. And yet we've heard almost nothing. Hopefully that changes. And more hopefully there isn't anything there to read into.
I read until it that he is the junior partner of the enterprise, not surprising really.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Has anyone seen this:

http://pitchfork.com/news/73462-watch-j ... aks-theme/

For those who might not know him, Jon Hopkins is a British electronic music artist who has done a good deal of David Lynch Foundation benefit shows. As the article states, they "have some history". He's also done a number of film scores. I get that this is supposedly about reassuring fans his new album is underway, but why Laura Palmer's Theme? I doubt he is involved in already pretty hectic soundtrack, but it would make a lot of sense to me.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:I'm hoping it's just not addressed, and Lynch and Frost have worked it so no need for cell phones, years or technology is mentioned. I always wished years weren't mentioned in the original series, only months and days.
Why would they show somebody checking Instagram on a 2-minute teaser?

Also it's pretty clear by now that time and its passage ARE important things.
I didn't say they weren't. When Peaks was working at its best, is was a stylized movie world. Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately. A hula hoop is fine because it has endured enough to always be recognized as classic, an Ugg boot is not. A Mom tattoo is fine, but a barbed wire tattoo is not. Lynch though is pretty good at this.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

counterpaul wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote: You confuse me when you say this because Amazon does offer a live stream. People don't need to wait 24-36 hrs. I think what you're saying is that people might have to wait to watch a quality version, but that depends on how well their internet connection handles the Amazon live stream. I tried out a few different live offerings tonight and the quality was just fine.

It sounds like you're using Roku to live stream from the Showtime website? Because you can't stream directly from Showtime's website; you have to pick some kind of device or service, like Amazon or Roku.
Sorry about any confusion. Yes, it is true that there is a Live TV option with the Amazon Showtime channel. I just wasn't satisfied with the quality--even with a very fast internet connection, I found the Live TV option generally poor and very inconsistent, using both the web interface and the Roku app. Sound and picture, as I was playing FWWM, both kept shifting between fairly mediocre but decent quality and downright crappy. This concerned me!

There's also the fact that the Live TV stream gives you fewer options. I know for sure that I won't want to wait 24-36 hours before my second viewing for example!

So, yes, with the Amazon channel, you'll have immediate access using the Live TV option but you'll have to wait for on-demand access. I would encourage people who are considering Amazon to get the free trial this week and try out the Live TV stream to see if they find it satisfactory, and keep in mind that it will be the only way to see each Part until Monday at best/Wednesday at worst each week.

I decided I don't want to be locked into that scenario--Twin Peaks in too important!
For $2 a month (1 slice of cherry pie per month), it's not worth Amazon. Or Hulu Add On. I'm going with the Showtime app.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

Agent Earle wrote:
Jonah wrote: Does anyone remember "Northern Exposure"? Think I might rewatch that on DVD - I really liked that show.
Oh, you bet we do, it's just that there's too little of us :( What a magnificent show, it breaks my heart to see it waste away into obscurity. It's funny how this series, once (not quite correctly, I might add) regarded as a TP spinoff, was hugely popular in its day, picking up awards and gathering acclaim as it progressed beyond its short first season (which was cooked up in a hurry as a summer replacement show) and eventually ended up having six seasons before it concluded (too early) in the mid 90's, at a time when TP reputation was the lowest of lows. And now, all these years later, NE is all but gone from the public conscience, while TP's popularity is soaring and it's on the eve of enjoying its second lease of life... Not that I'm complaining about the latter, but I'd still like it if NE would get rediscovered - I'd even be down for some kind of continuation, 90 % of its original cast is still alive and kickin'!
Thank you! Yes! I bought the entire series a few years ago. I just missed Twin Peaks at age 11, but my father became a huge fan of Northern Exposure. So the aesthetics of Twin Peaks promotions was with me and perhaps a couple channel flip-throughs, but Northern Exposure began carrying me to the Northwest first. This plus a couple older girlfriends and recorded VHS tapes got me to Twin Peaks by the late 90's. I consider it integral to my Twin Peaks journey. I live in Barry Corbin's (Maurice's) hometown, and he spoke at one of our library's functions last year. It was priced a bit above my account as I am a librarian, but I would have died to get him to sign my collection. I'll get back to Twin Peaks after this post, but thank you for giving me a forum to mention this.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey Horne wrote:Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately.
But both the things you mentioned are specific to the era the show was filmed, and would feel dated as hell today.

On the other hand, I think Coop's tape recorder falls into the "LPs and rotary phones" category as feeling more timeless. Not sure why that is -- perhaps just because it's such an iconic part of the character.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
Ross wrote:
I read until it that he is the junior partner of the enterprise, not surprising really.
But the video has Lesli Glatter, Gary Levine, and several people totally unrelated to either the old or new series. You'd think a video about the inception of the thing could find a place for both of the people who were responsible for the inception.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Mark Frost ist tweeting about Twin Peaks nearly all the time so I guess everything is ok.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

New French interview with Lynch. Forward to 29 minutes.

http://www.canalplus.fr/cinema/emission ... gid=&tab=1
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Jerry Horne wrote:New French interview with Lynch. Forward to 29 minutes.

http://www.canalplus.fr/cinema/emission ... gid=&tab=1
Thanks Jerry!

I just re-uploaded it to YouTube. The ads were really annoying on that site, lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i93tBsqmu_I
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately.
But both the things you mentioned are specific to the era the show was filmed, and would feel dated as hell today.

On the other hand, I think Coop's tape recorder falls into the "LPs and rotary phones" category as feeling more timeless. Not sure why that is -- perhaps just because it's such an iconic part of the character.
I think we're basically agreeing.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Ross wrote: I find it rather baffling as well. He's been so silent. I was expecting him to be the voice of things when it came to promotion and talking about the new series. And yet we've heard almost nothing. Hopefully that changes. And more hopefully there isn't anything there to read into.
But the video has Lesli Glatter, Gary Levine, and several people totally unrelated to either the old or new series. You'd think a video about the inception of the thing could find a place for both of the people who were responsible for the inception.
Yes you would think so. I do wonder sometimes how Mark Frost feels about being continually forgotten when it comes to this project. It frustrates me so I wonder if he has made peace with it or not. He's not forgotten by us as fans, but by the press and general public. He never gets a look in and he is just as important as David Lynch. I guess lately he has also had a lot to deal with - several illnesses and the loss of his father. Plus he seems very preoccupied with the White House on his twitter feed which does seem very all consuming. I very much hope to hear more from him and hope the book tour gets rescheduled for him to visit the UK and other places he missed. It would be great to say a thank you to him in person. He deserves just as much glory as DKL.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...