NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

freeek wrote:"Dark" is the word. If Lynch is so persistent to talk about a 18-hour movie and not a serialized approach, that's because he intends to let it all flow in an all-out Lynch mode (or "pure heroin Lynch mode", if you prefer). If KML talks about an "earth shattering" work, he just can't be talking about cutesy LOL vignettes popping here and there.
Yeah he can. Lynch is as much about wacky humor and pure light as he is dark nightmares. Much of the wacky comedy in the show comes from Lynch.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agreed re the wacky humour.

What are people's guesses as to how much of the new series will actually be set in Twin Peaks?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Jonah wrote: What are people's guesses as to how much of the new series will actually be set in Twin Peaks?
I'm gonna say 50 per cent.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

mtwentz wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote:
Yes you would think so. I do wonder sometimes how Mark Frost feels about being continually forgotten when it comes to this project. It frustrates me so I wonder if he has made peace with it or not. He's not forgotten by us as fans, but by the press and general public. He never gets a look in and he is just as important as David Lynch. I guess lately he has also had a lot to deal with - several illnesses and the loss of his father. Plus he seems very preoccupied with the White House on his twitter feed which does seem very all consuming. I very much hope to hear more from him and hope the book tour gets rescheduled for him to visit the UK and other places he missed. It would be great to say a thank you to him in person. He deserves just as much glory as DKL.
I get what you're saying here, and my take on it is that Frost has probably made peace with it. I think Lynch's legend status has grown to such a degree that Frost probably understands that he's always going to be overshadowed by Lynch. It's just an inevitability.

That said, I do think that Lynch is more the key to this thing than Frost. They may have been equally important during the conceptualization phases, but without Lynch's direction I feel that the show would never have taken off as it did. That Pilot is so outstanding not merely because of the writing, but because of that uncanny atmosphere, because of Lynch's way with actors, because of the cinematic qualities, etc. And the more dreamlike moments of the show that are so ingrained in viewers are all because of Lynch. I think Frost knows this and accepts it. Frost was recently asked how much of the new production he's involved in, and he answered 40%, I think. That wasn't his share of the workload, that was his actual involvement, whereas Lynch's is seemingly 100%. And I know that Frost was around the original series more than Lynch, but even so, Lynch's contributions have taken hold of the public consciousness more.
For us true Peaks Freaks, there is no Twin Peaks without Mark Frost. We can debate all day what pct of the success is Frost and what pct is Lynch, but bottom line is it took the synergy between the two of them to bring this wonderful into being.
THANK YOU MT. 100% this.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

kitty666cats wrote:RE: all those people talking about Northern Exposure earlier...

I hear that the DVDs of the show don't have the original music, as they couldn't get the rights. I've heard that, as a result, the show is not nearly as captivating or enjoyable. This makes me sad! I wanna check the show out, but I would really prefer to see it with the original music :'(
You've heard it correctly. The rights issues caused the show being put on DVD with all of the music from the TV airings replaced, basically massacring the original atmosphere and experience. A crying shame! I hope one day (maybe with a BluRay release, should that ever happen, though it currently looks like a tough call) this gets put to right.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Agent Earle wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:RE: all those people talking about Northern Exposure earlier...

I hear that the DVDs of the show don't have the original music, as they couldn't get the rights. I've heard that, as a result, the show is not nearly as captivating or enjoyable. This makes me sad! I wanna check the show out, but I would really prefer to see it with the original music :'(
You've heard it correctly. The rights issues caused the show being put on DVD with all of the music from the TV airings replaced, basically massacring the original atmosphere and experience. A crying shame! I hope one day (maybe with a BluRay release, should that ever happen, though it currently looks like a tough call) this gets put to right.
Can anyone imagine if they tried to pull that on a Twin Peaks release? There would be riots.
Welcome...to the third...place.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Regarding Mark Frost, maybe this came up above but we have to remember that his Dad dies a few months ago. That could easily explain his reluctance to undertake a heavy promotional load. He will be spending much of this year grieving I imagine (and some of the rest of his life).

Regarding Northern Exposure- damn! I watched series 1 on DVD a few years back and loved it, but you are telling me that it could have been even better with the original music? Hugely frustrating. This happens a lot I think. I didn't buy the Fugitive boxset for this same reason.

Can you even imagine TP with different music? It would be almost pointless!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote:
Yes you would think so. I do wonder sometimes how Mark Frost feels about being continually forgotten when it comes to this project. It frustrates me so I wonder if he has made peace with it or not. He's not forgotten by us as fans, but by the press and general public. He never gets a look in and he is just as important as David Lynch. I guess lately he has also had a lot to deal with - several illnesses and the loss of his father. Plus he seems very preoccupied with the White House on his twitter feed which does seem very all consuming. I very much hope to hear more from him and hope the book tour gets rescheduled for him to visit the UK and other places he missed. It would be great to say a thank you to him in person. He deserves just as much glory as DKL.
I get what you're saying here, and my take on it is that Frost has probably made peace with it. I think Lynch's legend status has grown to such a degree that Frost probably understands that he's always going to be overshadowed by Lynch. It's just an inevitability.

That said, I do think that Lynch is more the key to this thing than Frost. They may have been equally important during the conceptualization phases, but without Lynch's direction I feel that the show would never have taken off as it did. That Pilot is so outstanding not merely because of the writing, but because of that uncanny atmosphere, because of Lynch's way with actors, because of the cinematic qualities, etc. And the more dreamlike moments of the show that are so ingrained in viewers are all because of Lynch. I think Frost knows this and accepts it. Frost was recently asked how much of the new production he's involved in, and he answered 40%, I think. That wasn't his share of the workload, that was his actual involvement, whereas Lynch's is seemingly 100%. And I know that Frost was around the original series more than Lynch, but even so, Lynch's contributions have taken hold of the public consciousness more.
For us true Peaks Freaks, there is no Twin Peaks without Mark Frost. We can debate all day what pct of the success is Frost and what pct is Lynch, but bottom line is it took the synergy between the two of them to bring this wonderful into being.
Yes, and I'm totally in agreement with that: their synergy. But in response to those who wonder why Lynch gets MORE of the credit, I think the reasons are obvious. That's all I'm saying.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm sure Frost could be as active in the media as he likes.

Then again, Lynch is the one who directed all 18 hrs, so the emphasis being on him is natural.

Frost also was pretty active promoting his recent book, so he may be a bit tired of promotion.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

It's easy: Frost simply doesn't want to. That's all there is to it.
Silencio

Post by Silencio »

Jasper wrote:Kathleen Deming, positive identification, imo:
It's her audition video for this music video. She is one of the actors in it.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:It's easy: Frost simply doesn't want to. That's all there is to it.
You're very presumptuous
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Why would it be presumptuous? Do we have a good reason to think someone is holding Frost back from doing promotion?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Mistertom wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:It's easy: Frost simply doesn't want to. That's all there is to it.
You're very presumptuous
Well when you look at the entire situation he's not totally on black-out or anything on the show. Maybe he and Lynch did have a disagreement, or maybe the agreement was simply he decided to sit back and Lynch do a lot of the talking. OR he feels Lynch carries it far more than he does? I don't see what's presumptuous or even dare I say controversial about believing so. :|
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

What's interesting about this Lynch : Frost promotion business is that the one who's considerably less talkative and articulate is in the limelight.