NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by laughingpinecone »

I feel that one angle this conversation is missing is that Mark Frost in 2017 (or 2012, or anywhere in between) is not the same person as Mark Frost in 1990, too. And while most of us are familiar with the artistic developments in Lynch's career, a lot of us cannot say the same about Frost's non-TP works. Before his book, I didn't know what to expect from him.
The pilot was co-written with the man who penned Hill Street Blues. This "pure heroine version of Lynch" was co-written with the man who penned The Secret History. All these "Frost is a grounding force well-versed in traditional television" comments were certainly true for the old show, but now they may both be going for something different.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Jonah wrote:Things were so upbeat on here until all this Frost vs. Lynch talk started. Is it just me or is anyone else starting to find it's dragging down the excitement and conversation a bit?

-
MoondogJR wrote:Somebody combined all the trailers in one video: https://youtu.be/HSFR6oqwLVM.
Whoever did this made a great job. It works really well! Thanks for posting.
No problem. I really like it as well, it builds up nicely.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

laughingpinecone wrote:I feel that one angle this conversation is missing is that Mark Frost in 2017 (or 2012, or anywhere in between) is not the same person as Mark Frost in 1990, too. And while most of us are familiar with the artistic developments in Lynch's career, a lot of us cannot say the same about Frost's non-TP works. Before his book, I didn't know what to expect from him.
The pilot was co-written with the man who penned Hill Street Blues. This "pure heroine version of Lynch" was co-written with the man who penned The Secret History. All these "Frost is a grounding force well-versed in traditional television" comments were certainly true for the old show, but now they may both be going for something different.
Frost's post TP novels actually seem just as important as his experience as a showrunner back in 89 since TV has become such a novelistic medium.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

russia :lol:

Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Found this cartoon on twitter and it made me laugh. Thought it would be fun to post here all in good fun since we're likely to get some new people in here next week. ;)

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/download/fil ... ew&id=4098
Attachments
C_tqdWfUAAAh4X2.jpg
C_tqdWfUAAAh4X2.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 8789 times
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Just seen a trailer on Pick TV in the UK which was the clip of the new trees at the end of each trailer but also had a slowed down version of The Nightingale playing but it sounded like either a man singing it or it was just a really slowed down Julee Cruise. Very exciting! It's amazing to think of how much promotion they are doing in each and every country.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
CompletelySilent
Roadhouse Member

Post by CompletelySilent »

Hi all! I'm not a common poster here, but have lurked in the background for some time. I just want to take the time as we enter the final week before we return to the world of Twin Peaks to say a thanks to everyone. The wonderful people of this particular community, David Lynch, Mark Frost, everyone who was worked on anything Peaks related, and the show as a whole. This is kind of a grand exclamation to whoever. I'd consider myself to be an eccentric with odd quirks that kinda makes me stand out from others in some ways. I take this with pride and am happy with the person who I am, but it sometimes gets rough out there feeling like few people can actually relate to me on a person to person level. I have friends, but its hard at times to not feel like a lonely soul drifting through the world. Things have been weird in my life as of late, but Twin Peaks has been something I've been able to have as a connection to. The concept of a whole group of somewhat oddball people existing in this multi-level universe together has given me some form of inspiration for myself to continue to be who I am and that people do enjoy and appreciate the odd of people. The crazy world of concepts such as the Black Lodge keeps my mind in constant thought of what the heck is going and I love it! Twin Peaks has provided me with some of the most profound moments of self-discovery in my life and I am thoroughly excited to see what is to come. Guys...this coming week is for all of us here. We have waited for so long to get to this point in time and it feels surreal that we are about to get there. Let us take the time to cherish these moments ahead of us as our lives are going to be different soon with the wild ride we are about to take. I love you all and have a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in us and our future. Let's Rock :)
Diane! I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

CompletelySilent wrote:Hi all! I'm not a common poster here, but have lurked in the background for some time. I just want to take the time as we enter the final week before we return to the world of Twin Peaks to say a thanks to everyone. The wonderful people of this particular community, David Lynch, Mark Frost, everyone who was worked on anything Peaks related, and the show as a whole. This is kind of a grand exclamation to whoever. I'd consider myself to be an eccentric with odd quirks that kinda makes me stand out from others in some ways. I take this with pride and am happy with the person who I am, but it sometimes gets rough out there feeling like few people can actually relate to me on a person to person level. I have friends, but its hard at times to not feel like a lonely soul drifting through the world. Things have been weird in my life as of late, but Twin Peaks has been something I've been able to have as a connection to. The concept of a whole group of somewhat oddball people existing in this multi-level universe together has given me some form of inspiration for myself to continue to be who I am and that people do enjoy and appreciate the odd of people. The crazy world of concepts such as the Black Lodge keeps my mind in constant thought of what the heck is going and I love it! Twin Peaks has provided me with some of the most profound moments of self-discovery in my life and I am thoroughly excited to see what is to come. Guys...this coming week is for all of us here. We have waited for so long to get to this point in time and it feels surreal that we are about to get there. Let us take the time to cherish these moments ahead of us as our lives are going to be different soon with the wild ride we are about to take. I love you all and have a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in us and our future. Let's Rock :)
Wow. What a great post. I'm left (almost) speechless (practically like Coop was when he received the Bookhouse Boys badge from Harry). And here's to you too, my friend! :D
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

CompletelySilent wrote:Hi all! I'm not a common poster here, but have lurked in the background for some time. I just want to take the time as we enter the final week before we return to the world of Twin Peaks to say a thanks to everyone. The wonderful people of this particular community, David Lynch, Mark Frost, everyone who was worked on anything Peaks related, and the show as a whole. This is kind of a grand exclamation to whoever. I'd consider myself to be an eccentric with odd quirks that kinda makes me stand out from others in some ways. I take this with pride and am happy with the person who I am, but it sometimes gets rough out there feeling like few people can actually relate to me on a person to person level. I have friends, but its hard at times to not feel like a lonely soul drifting through the world. Things have been weird in my life as of late, but Twin Peaks has been something I've been able to have as a connection to. The concept of a whole group of somewhat oddball people existing in this multi-level universe together has given me some form of inspiration for myself to continue to be who I am and that people do enjoy and appreciate the odd of people. The crazy world of concepts such as the Black Lodge keeps my mind in constant thought of what the heck is going and I love it! Twin Peaks has provided me with some of the most profound moments of self-discovery in my life and I am thoroughly excited to see what is to come. Guys...this coming week is for all of us here. We have waited for so long to get to this point in time and it feels surreal that we are about to get there. Let us take the time to cherish these moments ahead of us as our lives are going to be different soon with the wild ride we are about to take. I love you all and have a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in us and our future. Let's Rock :)

Great post ! I often feel like that one friend who is hard to read or understand and I think it's because just on some strange level I'm constantly aware of the emotions in the people surrounding me . I'm incredibly in tune to what they're feeling and I carry those emotions as a result. I feel like shows like twin peaks were made for people like me , and this fantastic fan base is a giant comfort to me ! None of my daily friends watch twin peaks except for one , and he moved halfway across the country for work last year ! So I have you all , and I have this forum and I'm super thankful for that ! ONE week left .. it is happening again ..
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

CompletelySilent wrote:
Hi all! I'm not a common poster here, but have lurked in the background for some time. I just want to take the time as we enter the final week before we return to the world of Twin Peaks to say a thanks to everyone. The wonderful people of this particular community, David Lynch, Mark Frost, everyone who was worked on anything Peaks related, and the show as a whole. This is kind of a grand exclamation to whoever. I'd consider myself to be an eccentric with odd quirks that kinda makes me stand out from others in some ways. I take this with pride and am happy with the person who I am, but it sometimes gets rough out there feeling like few people can actually relate to me on a person to person level. I have friends, but its hard at times to not feel like a lonely soul drifting through the world. Things have been weird in my life as of late, but Twin Peaks has been something I've been able to have as a connection to. The concept of a whole group of somewhat oddball people existing in this multi-level universe together has given me some form of inspiration for myself to continue to be who I am and that people do enjoy and appreciate the odd of people. The crazy world of concepts such as the Black Lodge keeps my mind in constant thought of what the heck is going and I love it! Twin Peaks has provided me with some of the most profound moments of self-discovery in my life and I am thoroughly excited to see what is to come. Guys...this coming week is for all of us here. We have waited for so long to get to this point in time and it feels surreal that we are about to get there. Let us take the time to cherish these moments ahead of us as our lives are going to be different soon with the wild ride we are about to take. I love you all and have a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in us and our future. Let's Rock :)

Thank you for this post!
I would've probably said something similar had you not beat me. Twin Peaks intertwined with my weird life too, (I almost call it "relatable") about two years ago, and, like you, feel it as a tangible, real-world influence. This must be one of the most bipolar fan communities out there, arguments one moment and dewy-eyed, inarticulate wonderment the next! So, I want to repeat these sentiments, thank you to all those I've come across on this forum, and those who run it, I've had a great time!
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:I'm hoping it's just not addressed, and Lynch and Frost have worked it so no need for cell phones, years or technology is mentioned. I always wished years weren't mentioned in the original series, only months and days.
Why would they show somebody checking Instagram on a 2-minute teaser?

Also it's pretty clear by now that time and its passage ARE important things.
I didn't say they weren't. When Peaks was working at its best, is was a stylized movie world. Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately. A hula hoop is fine because it has endured enough to always be recognized as classic, an Ugg boot is not. A Mom tattoo is fine, but a barbed wire tattoo is not. Lynch though is pretty good at this.
You're falling into the same trap that made half TP fandom dislike Fire Walk With Me. Going into the new series with all those preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn't be is basically condemning yourself to dislike it
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Hear hear to the posts above! :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

2.jpg
2.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Why would they show somebody checking Instagram on a 2-minute teaser?

Also it's pretty clear by now that time and its passage ARE important things.
I didn't say they weren't. When Peaks was working at its best, is was a stylized movie world. Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately. A hula hoop is fine because it has endured enough to always be recognized as classic, an Ugg boot is not. A Mom tattoo is fine, but a barbed wire tattoo is not. Lynch though is pretty good at this.
You're falling into the same trap that made half TP fandom dislike Fire Walk With Me. Going into the new series with all those preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn't be is basically condemning yourself to dislike it
Okay.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Special thanks to Dugpa, Jerry, Ross, Brad, Annie and any other mods! I'm sure their jobs are often thankless, and will probably get a lot tougher with the inevitable influx of new fans. I'm so grateful for this community at this awesome moment in the fandom, and they deserve much of the thanks.