NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

We're so close, and yet still the reality of it --the actual impact-- still hasn't hit. I'm almost numb at this point, a mere handful of days out.

I celebrated this show in my formative years, with friends and acquaintances, many of whom are no longer in my life, literally none of whom will share it with me next Sunday. Most of all my father, to whom I owe so much, not the least of which was his introduction of David Lynch to me. We shared Twin Peaks together, including watching FWWM on opening night to a packed house of empty seats. He died of cancer in 2000, a year shy of my wedding day.

Sorry that I'm so boo-hooey, but after 26 years of Twin Peaks dominating my entertainment reality, I'm entering the Lodge with both joy and sadness. Hawk would say I have imperfect courage. He'd be right.

Here's hoping for my soul when the dust settles and we're left with another end to this strange journey.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Mordeen wrote:We're so close, and yet still the reality of it --the actual impact-- still hasn't hit. I'm almost numb at this point, a mere handful of days out.

I celebrated this show in my formative years, with friends and acquaintances, many of whom are no longer in my life, literally none of whom will share it with me next Sunday. Most of all my father, to whom I owe so much, not the least of which was his introduction of David Lynch to me. We shared Twin Peaks together, including watching FWWM on opening night to a packed house of empty seats. He died of cancer in 2000, a year shy of my wedding day.

Sorry that I'm so boo-hooey, but after 26 years of Twin Peaks dominating my entertainment reality, I'm entering the Lodge with both joy and sadness. Hawk would say I have imperfect courage. He'd be right.

Here's hoping for my soul when the dust settles and we're left with another end to this strange journey.

-Mordeen
Sorry to hear of your story. I hope you manage to enjoy and fully appreciate the experience on Sunday night regardless, as I'm sure your late father would have.

And remember...when these frail shadows we inhabit now have quit the stage, we’ll meet and raise a glass again together in Valhalla.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mordeen wrote:We're so close, and yet still the reality of it --the actual impact-- still hasn't hit. I'm almost numb at this point, a mere handful of days out.

-Mordeen
I know how you feel Mordeen: my mother is the one who really helped get me into Twin Peaks; I watched the second season premiere at her house and I was hooked after that. We talked about the show often and saw FWWM on videotape every couple of years or so. She passed away in 2009, and I know she would be as excited as me about The Return. I have no one to really watch it with except my wife (my daughter is only 12), but I think the new show may be too dark and intense for her.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Completely agree that the third act of Mulholland Dr. is Lynch at the zenith of his powers. Just amazing filmmaking, and I love how it connects the dots with the first two acts (the Winkie's, lamp, hitman etc.).
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

For me, Mulholland Drive is Lynch's magnum opus, and its journey from TV pilot to makeshift film is something I would never wish away. If anything that contributed to its greatness in a way. Regardless, it's always felt like one piece to me.

Whilst I want the new Twin Peaks to be 'Twin Peaks', having some Mulholland Drive in the mixer would be no bad thing in my view.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Sky Ferreira Opens Up About Her Twin Peaks Debut

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... y-ferreira
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

baxter wrote:Mallard- that's amazing, thanks. The other problem is that got the TV without the original remote (it was an ex-display model), but I have a replacement that should be configurable. I'll try out your suggestions.
No problem, and hope it helps!
Welcome...to the third...place.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It'll be interesting if Sky Ferreira has a real role. I like her music, but her brief acting performance in The Green Inferno was painful. Still, I have faith in Lynch with everyone.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Has anybody posited yet that the ragged looking lady from the newest trailer may be James' mother?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

-Mordeen
Yes, I watched it at my grandparents' house, aged 15, a few days after they'd moved across the country to be nearer my parents. They died 12 years ago and 9 years go. They didn't stay with the show, but it blew me away.

The cliffhanger scarred this then-lonely, bullied teenager. Coop had become my hero and someone I aspired to be more like. I've still more or less got the hairstyle! :lol: So, for me, there's a nostalgia for those who aren't around any more. At the same time, my best friend of some 22 years' standing, whom I hadn't even met at that stage, is an addict of the show too, and I now have other friends with whom to share the experience.

That's one of the things that interests me most in the new show. People change drastically in a quarter of a century, so familiar characters in Twin Peaks could be wildly different people. Also, people could have arrived in the town a couple of years after the original show ended and had a huge effect on the lives of those who live there for a couple of decades; for longer time than the likes of James, Donna and Audrey had lived up to the end of the old show. I'm hoping an aspect of the show will the questioning of what we have become and is there still time to correct the courses of our lives? I wonder if there are any 'Missing Pieces'-type flashbacks using unseen footage from the old show or the movie.

The show being a conclusion to the Cooper saga will be a kind of therapy for a lot of the audience, I suspect! Certainly, I feel like it'll be kind of a cathartic moment as I hit middle age. I think such feelings are inevitable when follow-ups arrive after a long break. Blade Runner 2049 is part of that feeling too.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm not middle aged, but it's going to be very cathartic for me. Still hasn't sunken in. It's just been a part of my life and my mind since I was very small and next to maybe Star Wars - which came back much sooner in various forms and never seemed entirely like a closed book - it is a towering icon of my childhood. I watched it live and now I'll do so again - I never imagined that happening twice. Ever.

It may not even sink in while watching at first. I honestly don't know what I'll do.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Gabriel wrote:
Yes, I watched it at my grandparents' house, aged 15, a few days after they'd moved across the country to be nearer my parents. They died 12 years ago and 9 years go. They didn't stay with the show, but it blew me away.

The cliffhanger scarred this then-lonely, bullied teenager. Coop had become my hero and someone I aspired to be more like. I've still more or less got the hairstyle! :lol: So, for me, there's a nostalgia for those who aren't around any more. At the same time, my best friend of some 22 years' standing, whom I hadn't even met at that stage, is an addict of the show too, and I now have other friends with whom to share the experience.

That's one of the things that interests me most in the new show. People change drastically in a quarter of a century, so familiar characters in Twin Peaks could be wildly different people. Also, people could have arrived in the town a couple of years after the original show ended and had a huge effect on the lives of those who live there for a couple of decades; for longer time than the likes of James, Donna and Audrey had lived up to the end of the old show. I'm hoping an aspect of the show will the questioning of what we have become and is there still time to correct the courses of our lives? I wonder if there are any 'Missing Pieces'-type flashbacks using unseen footage from the old show or the movie.

The show being a conclusion to the Cooper saga will be a kind of therapy for a lot of the audience, I suspect! Certainly, I feel like it'll be kind of a cathartic moment as I hit middle age.
Same. Coop had become my hero too. And I don't know -or more accurately I know and I fear- what seeing him possessed by Bob would do to me. I mean, after the end of the last episode of Original Run I was devastated. I'm not exaggerating there. I remained seated still trough all the end credits and after that, motionless, stunned, chocked and utterly grounded. I was 15 years old back then. I lived with my big sister all week long because I was schooled were she lived. It was maybe the best time of my young live. I lived with someone who really loved me, who cared for me. And we watched Twin Peaks together. She was the one to introduce me to the show.

Also, about familiar characters being now different persons; that worry me a bit, yes but you know what worry me more, what worried me since the revival announcement? I have changed since 25 years ago. I am a different person than back then. The mood, the time, the culture: it's back then and there VS today. So what if the Me I am now is too different from the Me I was then? What if the Me then immensely enjoyed and loved TP but the Me today don't anymore? I won't go as far as saying the answer to this question terrify me but still. If I don't enjoy that new season I would experience this as a treason.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Hitting the recent topics:

I did not know Mulholland Drive's creative journey before seeing it, but it never felt disjointed or like a Salvaged tv pilot at all to me.

In regard to streaming, I got a new Apple TV a couple of months ago that I love, and seems to work great with any app I have thrown at it. As with any Apple product, it will turn into garbage in 2.5 years. :x

Sunday is going to be emotional for sure. I am sure tears will flow and no sleep will be had that night. (Week?) the crushing feeling I had when I saw ep 29 end for the first time will finally be rectified. It is easily the most exciting thing I could imagine happening outside of having a child.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Edit:
Last edited by marchug on Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-23-
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

I'm sure this has been answered before, but refresh my memory: Was the new series shot in 4K? Also is it HDR?